• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ECX Barrage

Noj

Pity ECX didn't go with the same tyres as the Ouback in the first place but looking on the bright side they did get the electrics right.  ;)

Some metal mesh to cover the Barrage grill perhaps? Or cut out the grill and back it with the mesh.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Modelling-Mesh-Fine-Medium-And-Coarse-Appox-25cm-By-20cm-Sheets-/140804803235?var=&hash=item20c89ecaa3:m:m-pGySEAgyDHAxj80A3tOMw

John

Edited by johninderby

Extenders and other bits for that ordered. Think a servo will have to be bought....

Now, crawlists, what works well in a 1.9 tyre that doesn't cost the earth and is there such a thing as a well priced AND effective beadlock wheel??

35 minutes ago, Noj said:

Extenders and other bits for that ordered. Think a servo will have to be bought....

Now, crawlists, what works well in a 1.9 tyre that doesn't cost the earth and is there such a thing as a well priced AND effective beadlock wheel??

OHO or Gaz would be the peeps to ask I think. 

Or you could wait for JiD to reply.

Edited by chewbacca

The cheap and common Chinese crawler tyres actually. work rather well in dirt but not as well on rocks as the Outback tyres.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Off-Road-Crawler-RC-Tires-108mm-Dia-1-9-Inch-Wheels-1-10-Climbing-Car-/301707014699?hash=item463f23b22b:g:fu4AAOSwPCVX4KUz

Or from UK stockist

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-ROCK-CRAWLER-TYRE-SET-of-4-108mm-dia-AXIAL-SCX10-CC01-D90-tyres-T5-/121740137412?hash=item1c584713c4:g:FKEAAOSwaB5Xjd-z

Axial beadlocks. Work very well indeed. Cheapest for a UK stockist but only got the satin chrome in stock not the black.

http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/axial-19-8-hole-beadlocks---satin-chrome-2pcs-ax8088-7177-p.asp

Here's them on my Slickrock.

Slickrock-1_zps7590038b.jpg

John

Edited by johninderby

They're a nice almost brushed aluminium finish. Don't look cheap at all like most chrome plastic wheels. There is always oven cleaner to strip the finish and then dye black however. :D

Pity the HB rovers are only 95mm tall. Brilliant crawling tyre. :thumbsup:

John

Edited by johninderby

5 hours ago, Noj said:

Hmmm, having experienced the real thing vs the copy, there isn't a huge amount of difference for general trailing and crawling around, whether it be wheels or tyres in fact.

There is an abundance of alloy beadlock rims on eBay chap, there is bound to be something you like.

As for tyres, very much depends where you run.

I love my Rok Lox in mud, general trailing and whatnot, but nothing beats my Pitbull Growlers in the rocks, they literally drag my SCX10 up vertical objects, I had to remove the bumpers because the tyres were far beyond what my angle of approach was lol, they are wrapped around some Vanquish rims, OMFs I believe... Not the cheapest route, but I was treating the ol' girl.

For trailing, just about anything will do, there's really no right/wrong, unless you start taking it a bit more serious, then you need to look at serious rubber and foam :)

Only thing I'd say is, absolutely don't buy plastic wheels, always alloy or steel, depending on who the maker is.

Plastic snap so easily when you tumble down something, or even just tipping over, hitting them from the side in the cold, will make them snap happy, for how slow they are in general, they are pretty hard on a surprising number of parts :) I've tumbled down 3/4ft climbs and broke 2 plastic wheels by the time I got to the bottom lol.

Hope that's of some help.

EDIT; Just seen Johns post... My comments on plastic wheels were in no way a dig at you fella :good:

Edited by Oh How Original
Typo

Ta for the input chaps.

Was thinking metal wheels to add a little weight for stability...

Won't be tackling the nationals or anything, more trailing with some mild climbing....

Still unsure as to a brushed wheel though, black suits the beige rather well I think....

3 hours ago, Noj said:

Ta for the input chaps.

Was thinking metal wheels to add a little weight for stability...

Won't be tackling the nationals or anything, more trailing with some mild climbing....

Still unsure as to a brushed wheel though, black suits the beige rather well I think....

If you do a search for just 1.9 rims or 1.9 beadlock rims, on eBay, it'll spit up on all China offerings, tbh, unless you go Vanquish, they are all about the same, I do like my SSDs actually, but I like the Vanquish too.

If I was you, I'd not worry too much to start with, have a good few hours running the truck, see where you feel it needs improvement, then come back to it :)

Wheels will definitely help with stability though and certainly for ease of changing tyres.

Just be aware some wheels will not work with some tyres!

the obvious being rc4wd wheels and proline tyres.

tyre wise you want a tread pattern that will clear itself going by your said usage too. :good:

you know now where I am mate should you need any help.

• Like 1

Right, powerhd 20kg wp servo on the way, along with new boots and wheels C/o our very own Ostewart. Now, I did stick two pairs of the NR01 wheels in my basket with the servo (RCMart) but hadn't got tyres....so I'll either sell the wheels on or keep them for 'something' down the line....

• Like 1