• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hpi bullet St nitro (front dogbones)

Scott Morahan

Hi everyone this is my first time posting on here but I do need some help, ive got a hpi bullet St 3.0 nitro, and I've got issues with the front left and right dogbones, I have got stock ones on the front as well as the hub carriers, but for some reason it seems as thought my dogbones no longer fit correctly it's like they are now to short, so I changed the hub carriers to aluminium ones thinking that might help but it was just the same, if I pull the axle to fit the wheel back on the dogbone will be right on the edge of the joint that I'd coming out of the diff casing and if I got to start driving my car the dog bone will just fall out of the joint. The stock dogbones are 87mm end to end,  so I have ordered a set of 4 dogbones that measure 3.5" which is 88.9mm, I'm hoping that with the little bit of extra length they might fit ok. It has stumped me as even when all the stock items was fitted onto the car they still wasn't long enough. If anybody has came across this kind of problem before any help would and info would be much appreciated, also I was thinking of ordering some cvd driveshafts as I'm led to belive that these are a bit longer than the stock dogbone and axle when they are connected together. Anyway if any photos are required plz let me know in any messages and I'll get some taken, thanks scott. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Morahan said:

Hi everyone this is my first time posting on here but I do need some help, ive got a hpi bullet St 3.0 nitro, and I've got issues with the front left and right dogbones, I have got stock ones on the front as well as the hub carriers, but for some reason it seems as thought my dogbones no longer fit correctly it's like they are now to short, so I changed the hub carriers to aluminium ones thinking that might help but it was just the same, if I pull the axle to fit the wheel back on the dogbone will be right on the edge of the joint that I'd coming out of the diff casing and if I got to start driving my car the dog bone will just fall out of the joint. The stock dogbones are 87mm end to end,  so I have ordered a set of 4 dogbones that measure 3.5" which is 88.9mm, I'm hoping that with the little bit of extra length they might fit ok. It has stumped me as even when all the stock items was fitted onto the car they still wasn't long enough. If anybody has came across this kind of problem before any help would and info would be much appreciated, also I was thinking of ordering some cvd driveshafts as I'm led to belive that these are a bit longer than the stock dogbone and axle when they are connected together. Anyway if any photos are required plz let me know in any messages and I'll get some taken, thanks scott. 

Hey bud. I also have a Nitro bullet, and my dog bones are constantly falling out, I might buy CV/UV joints instead when I run out of normal shafts. 

If I remember correctly, there are also 2 lengths of dogbones, 86mm for the rears, and 87 for the fronts, or 87 for both, mine came with 2 different lengths.

Also check that the cushions are still in the drive cups, stock they are black O-rings, which help keep the shafts snug, If these have come out, put some fuel tubing (around 2-3mm) in each cup. this holds the shafts in place, until you have a tumble and then you lose them again. :P

Let us know how the longer shafts go as well

Thanks for the quick reply, these drive cups your on about, they are where the dogbones sit in, which in turn, turns the wheel but do they also go into the cups coming out of the cups that in the diff  casing? If so I don't think any of my have any in,  also these o-rings your mentioning, do they look like a miniature round float that goes round a childs waist when they go swimming? I think  I've seen them in black and orange. As soon as I recieve the longer dogbones I will let you know how they go, hopefully they will do the job and they never fall out again. The cvd driveshafts are supposed to be longer,  but I ordered some of ebay and they ended up being shorter than the stock dogbone and axle put together, so got a full refund on them and they let me keep them (2 sets of 2), the back ones fit ok it s just the front ones I'm having a nightmare with. Yh so hopefully longer shafts no more issues, I'll keep you informed pal. 

1 hour ago, Scott Morahan said:

Thanks for the quick reply, these drive cups your on about, they are where the dogbones sit in, which in turn, turns the wheel but do they also go into the cups coming out of the cups that in the diff  casing? If so I don't think any of my have any in,  also these o-rings your mentioning, do they look like a miniature round float that goes round a childs waist when they go swimming? I think  I've seen them in black and orange. As soon as I recieve the longer dogbones I will let you know how they go, hopefully they will do the job and they never fall out again. The cvd driveshafts are supposed to be longer,  but I ordered some of ebay and they ended up being shorter than the stock dogbone and axle put together, so got a full refund on them and they let me keep them (2 sets of 2), the back ones fit ok it s just the front ones I'm having a nightmare with. Yh so hopefully longer shafts no more issues, I'll keep you informed pal. 

I agree with vr5fx, sounds like you've lost some drive cup shims ( on the diff side)

If your new, longer, shafts still have too much play, simply shim the cups from the rear to minimally extend the drive cups outwards

Shimmy shimmy Coco pops

2 hours ago, Scott Morahan said:

Hi fly in my soup, I'm new to these rc cars, im having to ebay the drive cut shims as don't know what they are, but would I have to take the diff casing apart to put thee ones in? 

Sometimes yes, however, I have never disassembled a bullet diff, or shimmed one.

It depends if the drive cups extend into the diff casing itself, sometimes they do, sometimes the drive cups  are held onto the shaft via a grub screw accessible from outside the diff case, sometimes they are pinned from the inside.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-8x10mm-shim-set-10-kyo96644/p4067

Here are some generic d.cup shims from kyosho, a brand renowned for sloppy diffs

Having another quick Google search.

People with a similar issue on these bullet models, have rectified the issue with rubber o rings, like the ones you described, make sure you try and get a fairly soft compound silicone o ring so they don't bind up...

Also, some geeza used springs inside the d.cups, but this sounds like a right faff, so I'm sceptical of this.

Changing to cvd seems to be the most popular choice, although some say they are too weak, so went back to original dogbones with o rings in place

If your strapped for coin, then you could try silicone fuel tubing, as vr5fx mentioned, although this is hit and miss imo

Hope any of the crap I just waffled helped

1 hour ago, Scott Morahan said:

Ok just ordered these from ebay to attach onto the cups and then tighten them up with the grub screws, what do you think,  cos I think it will extend the original ones abit. 

Screenshot_20161023-192214.png

Firstly, These are drive cups, they look like driveshaft cups, not dogbone drive cups

Not sure what you mean by attach these to the cups.??

You could attach these to the shafts protruding from the diff case, PROVIDED that there are shafts protruding with separate cups attached like these, not the more common 'one peice' drive cups, that are basically a drive cup that protrudes from inside the diff case itself ( shaft and drive cup are milled from same piece of alloy)

3 minutes ago, Scott Morahan said:

Ok just ordered these from ebay to attach onto the cups and then tighten them up with the grub screws, what do you think,  cos I think it will extend the original ones abit. 

Screenshot_20161023-192214.png

These wont work, nor will they fit.

On the bullet the diff cups extend and go inside the diff casing, and directly attach to the gearing inside.

I kept popping a shaft out today, even after massive amount of fuel tubing and insane camber it still kept coming out.

B.S.P are hit and miss, in my opinion

I get tired of their generic ' universal' listings.

Looks like it's longer shafts for you

N.b thanks to whichever staff edited this post

Edited by Fly In My Soup
Turning my unvalidated slander into an experience based opinion, :)

No nine as yet still waiting for the dogbones to get delivered, I did order some of the o-rings as the diff cups didn't have any or the rear cups didn't either, but yh I'm going to need the longer ones, I messaged hpi as well explains the issue I was having and they said the longer dogbones should be fine as long as I've got a bit of movement left and right, it should be all good. As soon as the new ones come through I will update and post on here and let you know. 

Hi well I did receive the dogbones today but they are the same size as the stock ones, well , they are 3.5" which is 89.9mm so i know they are not going to fit, so yet again I've just had to order a different set from another buyer which are 97mm  so hopefully they should fit, they will be here in about a week so will update more then. Sorry for the wait people but soon it will be sorted, then I can start bashing my car again, good times. 

Edited by Rover Man
Censored swearing removed................RM