• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya WT-01 Build

BlackHole

Well you've had lots of advice, the 1060 esc is an excellent bit of kit which I use on a lot of runners. It'll also allow a 3S battery to be used for stupid power out of a silver can but the 3S lipo would mean even more expense so given your budget, I'd agree with everything XV said above.

So basically;  

1.1060 brushed esc is an excellent esc, waterproof and lipo compatible.

2. Brushed motors are ok for all sorts of running but you may need to maintain them a bit more and if you get them wet they might squeal, watch out for debris/stones getting into the cooling vents.

3. Sensorless Brushless can get wet, and if you go sensorless best buy decent to avoid cogging etc and some of the other probs mentioned. Hobbywing are excellent and also make some of the gear for HPI, also excellent IME plus many more options out there. All you can do is get opinions from owners for whichever one you intend. Take into account large wheeled rigs will show up any weaknesses in setup over a small wheeled model so factor that in the opinions you get back. ie see what the big wheeled people are successfully running.

4. Sensored Brushless can be problematic with water, probably best reserved for racers rather than bashers.

5. The WT01 is a very capable basher and extremely robust, short of trying 10 foot jumps it will handle most general bashing duties with fine aplomb. Some people have different ideas of bashing, there's super destroyer bashing, and regular bashing! :)

Enjoy.

• Like 2

Some WT01 (silver one) and WR01 (black one) bashing footage with a local Tamiyaclub member who kindly took some footage, WT's feature from 2mins 20secs onwards in the vid below...

Mine is the silver one, pretty tough rig if you ask me, and a WT always lands on it's feet ;)

Both are Brushless, mine with HPI motor and esc, the other with a dual Turnigy setup IIRC.

• Like 2

That one is primarily an offroad basher so setup up for that. It has air filled Gmade tyres on the rear (hence the bounce) and 100mm shocks. It's a handful on a made track, but off road grass/mud it really is superb.

The Monster Hornet was also running a 4300kv setup and was virtually undriveable!! Back to silver can now ;)

The dump truck was a bit of a revelation. Totally stock pogo sticks on that one too.

Edited by NITO

That varies according to your shocks and pistons, vehicle weight, etc, and is usually a case of experimentation to find what suits your tastes, unless of course you can find someone who is using the exact same setup as you, and has set their rig up exactly the way you want yours set up, in which case you can ask them what they use.

For example I use Tamiya's yellow "400" oil in mine with 2-hole pistons, but my shocks are a little different to yours (as is my driving style most likely) so you may want to try something different.

Edited by XV Pilot

For reference, here is the full list of Tamiya shock oils, weights and colours, courtesy of Blacque Jacque on Tamiyaclub:

53443, soft oil set;

200 - Red

300 - Orange

400 - Yellow

53444, medium oil set;

500 - Green

600 - Dark blue

700 - Purple

53445, hard oil set;

800 - Pink

900 - Clear

1000 - Light blue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noj said:

I'm considering buying John's and dropping a bl combo in, just to prove what can be achieved :lol:

Lmao! The black one for £90? Ive still got the tab open cause I was thinking the same thing and sticking a Sidewinder/3800kv in it haha. 

XV Pilot: I meant no offence. You've gave the guy more advice for this vehicle than the rest of the forum put together, and I'm sure he would be nowhere near where near running without you. It was more that the op needs to decide from the get go what he wants stick to it, because what he has spent on this Brushed set up and the toy grade experiment, he would have been easily able to afford a mid-high end brushless set up. It's not always about been able to afford ' a £700 E revo', but more prioritising your needs and budget,, sticking to them so you don't waste any money allowing you to eventually get a £700 e Revo for example.

Blackhole for now if forget about brushless, run it as it is, then either get a cheap17t brushed motor or save for a brushless set up.

Noj, obviously the 4 pole would be much better, but lets be realistic, that 2 pole Reaktor combo will still be light years ahead of the Brushed ESC and 27t can.....

• Like 1

Not sure where you got your shocks from but I got similar I think (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222048007493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) and the found that they were too bouncy, It was due to the shock piston washer being too small, creating no resistance, such that it made no significant difference when changing oil viscosity. I had some other piston washers which were a perfect fit and made 4 x 0.5mm holes in them with 30wt oil. Much better result. The oil generally supplied with basic shocks is not very good. So answer to question 30wt shock oil is good starting point, but I would dismantle one of your shocks to see the diameter of the piston washer compared to the shock body.

Get some info on them before buying, but Im sure they will offer a decent performance improvement over the stock can. Theyre cheap cause they are fixed endbell, meaning you cant rebuild them, so when they pack up, you have to buy a new one as opposed to just replace the brushes, but at this price point thats irrelevant imo.

My other idea was a Traxxas Titan 12T, people take them out of the Traxxas Bandit/Rustler/Stampede and replace with brushless and sell them on. They get a Rustler/Stampede which is similar sort of thing to yours to 30mph. Ill have a brand new one (and ESC, servo etc) to sell when I strip my brand new Stampede Bigfoot Xmas day :)

But either of those should give an upgrade over the silver can.

Edited by Guns

This is the rebuildable version. Not that it matters TBH, at this price id more than likely replace if I ever wore the brushes down to the point It needed new brushes and the comm skimming. That would cost as much as a new motor lol

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-electric-motor-thrust-b-spec-17t/rc-car-products/380787

14T might be pushing it?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-thrust-b-spec-electric-motor-14t/rc-car-products/381550

Personally, I'd just get the £7 15t for now if you want a quick speed increase. You may need a lower tooth pinion, unless you are already running the lowest.

Id then save for brushless set up.

thats expensive, that ESC is only £18.89 on MS

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-waterproof-esc-sbec/rc-car-products/404964

The motor is the £9.99-13.49

So £29-33.

ID STILL call it a waste of money and go brushless..... but he already has the ESC, adding a £9.99 Quality Orion 17x2 motor is defininatey going to improve his speed :)

Firebolt cans are ok for the money, we run a few and none have given up. If they ever do, for the price, a replacement isn't really an issue. 

Performance does slightly differ between them though, our lasses King Blackfoot was always a touch faster than mine

11 minutes ago, Guns said:

That would cost as much as a new motor lol

33 minutes ago, Guns said:

Thats what I was thinking lol it would cost to replace them... 

Well, I'll go with this for one of above for <£10 :D 

Don't forget that the 17t Orion that Guns found is also under £10, and rebuildable. This is not only good for when the brushes wear out, but also makes cleaning the motor after a muddy run a lot easier. Plus Orion has a good reputation for quality and performance.

A good 17t is also likely to out-perform a basic 15t, especially if you adjust the timing. (The Orion has adjustable timing, the sealed can motors don't.)

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

Don't forget that the 17t Orion that Guns found is also under £10, and rebuildable. This is not only good for when the brushes wear out, but also makes cleaning the motor after a muddy run a lot easier. Plus Orion has a good reputation for quality and performance.

going for that then :D 

• Like 1

Good choice! Quality comparable to the LRP I mentioned earlier, but at Absima price levels. Come to think of it I might get one myself... :)

• Like 2