• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

flywheel stuck

baja5bmad

On 23/10/2016 at 12:44, Fly In My Soup said:

No need to use a starter box to break in, unless it obviously has no pull start fitted.

I've broke in many engines, and owned hundreds of models, I've never once used an engine heater, theyre usually Chinese *****, a hairdryer is what you want, theirs no need to heat an engine to 200° simply to obtain ignition, if you have to do this then somethings wrong ( tuning, fouled plug etc etc) a gentle all round crankcase heat (5 mins tops with a hairdryer on full heat setting)

My thoughts are same as essv, tighten glow plug, then back it off 1 full turn, gently heat all the engines crank case, not just the heatsink, then fire her up, leave her idling for 3 tanks, then half throttle runs for 3 more.

If the flywheel is stuck, and it's not flooded, you may be experiencing vapour lock, which loosening the plug will help with.

Also

Remember as always ( apologies if I'm telling you how to suck eggs), fresh fuel, fully charged glow plug, heated crankcase and short sharp bursts of the pull start, once she gets going your away

hi there i will heat crank case. with hairdryer in the morning. there no pull starf on it so i
have to os srartbox. also starter box saids truggy. and i have buggy would that mind

Shouldnt do most starterbox's you can move the pins, as long as you have flywheel lined up you should be fine.

Pullstart engines are usually rtr engines which arent usually as tight as race engines, keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dude...I thk u really need to show us in a vid of what ur actually doing...theres no way it would b that tight with plug only in a few turns that it still would not turn over....:good:so short vid of plug out and it turning over..then a vid of u putting plug in a few turns and it locking up....which it shouldn't do........

Edited by evssv

27 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

Is there a shim under the glowplug?

I've never tried taking the shim out, but would the head hit the glowplug causing it to jam?

Just a thought.

As he said if it turns freely without plug then jams with plug in sounds like it is jamming on the plug. Some plugs are longer then standard some traxxas plugs are longer.

1 hour ago, baja5bmad said:

no shim under glow plug. if i take plug the flywheel will soin. put plug back in locks

There should be a small shim/washer that sits between the plug and the head. If the shim isn't there then your piston might be hitting the plug which would mean you can't turn the flywheel as it all jams up.... I'd try it on mine but I don't wanna damage it. Chances are if you've tried to force it at all there is a chance the piston top is now damaged?

So, you don't have this washer shown in the pic?

20161025_205400.jpg

So can you turn by hand the flywheel 360 degrees with the glow plug removed, but when glow plug fitted the flywheel will only partly rotate and comes to stop?

If this is the case and the engine has the correct head button fitted, then the glow plug is too long and the piston is hitting the glow plug.

Is this a new engine or second hand?

O/K so it`s a turbo engine with a turbo plug then the problen is not that its hitting the plug as a turbo plug is tapered can`t possibley be to long.

One tthing to try: Take plug out put plenty of oil down plug hole and keep on spinning it over can`t remember if you said starter box or pull start now but keep on spinning it over. May take a long time but you will feel it easing up.

Remember heat heat and more heat.

Edited by Ian w

Op has already stated that he's having the same issue when he's tried the plug a few turn out, ruling out a plug that's too long.

The under head button has a recess ( visible from the underneath of it when it's removed ) which would prevent even a silly long plug without a washer even touching the piston top anyway

It also can't be the incorrect head button, as I have fitted head buttons off larger engines onto smaller engines in the past, and this doesn't prevent the flywheel from turning, you can just hear the piston slapping the head button when you pull it over, which just makes a ' tinking' sound ( technical term :) )

Also, op states that flywhe!l turns freely with glow plug removed, but head button in place still, again ruling out the head button, as it wouldn't turn over full stop, plug or no plug, if head button was so large it prevented the piston from reaching tdc.

At the risk of stating the complete obvious at this point, are you simply over priming the engine before you try to start it?? I.e flooding it with fuel??

As even a flooded engine will turn over with no plug in ( spits fuel out the glow plug hole) but once plug is replaced, even a few turns in, a flooded engine will not turn over.

Sounds silly simple, but easy to overlook I guess????

Edited by Fly In My Soup