• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

flywheel stuck

baja5bmad

hi the fly wheel on my nitro buggy is stuck it is only new engine never started

i put screwdriver under the flywheel it on turn for bit and lock again took glow plug

out put bit wd 40 down it. i am also using starter box to try start it any help would

be great. thank you.

5 hours ago, evssv said:

if brand new engine try heating head with hair dryer as it`ll b very tight.....or it may b sumin Inside......

+1on this

New engines that haven't been broken are tight, basically put, the piston has a lot of friction when it reaches top dead centre of the sleeve it sits in.

This is commonly referred to as "pinch"

This will reduce with time

• Like 1

Loosen glow plug and heat engine to 200F, some new engines are tighter than others. Repeated attempts to force it to turn over (especially with roto starts) with resistance can stress parts, which may let go later. Not used a starter box, so dont know how much force they apply. Not sure about using WD40, always use After Run Oil myself. A flooded engine will also not turn over, so this maybe your problem. Take glow plug out and turn car on side or upside down, turn engine over to expell fuel.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 17:56, baja5bmad said:

hi the fly wheel on my nitro buggy is stuck it is only new engine never started

i put screwdriver under the flywheel it on turn for bit and lock again took glow plug

out put bit wd 40 down it. i am also using starter box to try start it any help would

be great. thank you.

so any joy with it???

On 07/10/2016 at 21:48, evssv said:

so any joy with it???

Hi there i did not get it going yet. tried all day today. flywheel will only spin with glow plug

out. i heated it up with hairdryer still no look

when i tried my new engine few years back, it was that tight that i had to heat it up to 200f, it started in few seconds. i didnt use a hairdryer as that took too long so i used my engine heater and left it on for 10 mins.

still wont start for me..:crying: heated the engine very hot today with hairdryer. flywheel keeps locking

gave up after 2 hours. so i took my baja5b out on my road and hit the neighbours dog. it is ok she was not

happy. and me to:crying:

On 10/13/2016 at 16:34, baja5bmad said:

still wont start for me..:crying: heated the engine very hot today with hairdryer. flywheel keeps locking

gave up after 2 hours. so i took my baja5b out on my road and hit the neighbours dog. it is ok she was not

did it start but not keep running or not start at all?

i dont usually loosen the glowplug for break in, but do so if you wish. Try upping the idle if it stops very quickly. It will keep locking until it loosens up, then you can aim for a lower idle.

so..we know the engine is ok inside or it wouldn't turn over with no plug in..:yes:..ok...now its jus a case of heating and trying to get it to turn over....:yes:..put the plug in only 2 full turns....surly it will turn over like this as the plug hole is not sealed.....

• Like 1

On 15/10/2016 at 21:11, Sayce97 said:

Another thing you may want to look at is your starterbox, i have a 4s lipo in mine which is abit overkill but when i have 12v battery break in was more of a struggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to use a starter box to break in, unless it obviously has no pull start fitted.

I've broke in many engines, and owned hundreds of models, I've never once used an engine heater, theyre usually Chinese *****, a hairdryer is what you want, theirs no need to heat an engine to 200° simply to obtain ignition, if you have to do this then somethings wrong ( tuning, fouled plug etc etc) a gentle all round crankcase heat (5 mins tops with a hairdryer on full heat setting)

My thoughts are same as essv, tighten glow plug, then back it off 1 full turn, gently heat all the engines crank case, not just the heatsink, then fire her up, leave her idling for 3 tanks, then half throttle runs for 3 more.

If the flywheel is stuck, and it's not flooded, you may be experiencing vapour lock, which loosening the plug will help with.

Also

Remember as always ( apologies if I'm telling you how to suck eggs), fresh fuel, fully charged glow plug, heated crankcase and short sharp bursts of the pull start, once she gets going your away

On 13/10/2016 at 15:34, baja5bmad said:

P.s if you've been priming and yanking then re heating to extreme temps in an attempt to start, this will cause you vapour lock, a symptom you resolved when you removed the plug, as the gas escapes once plug is removed