• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Leccy or Nitro: Beginners

jarjardude

Hey all,

i've wanted to start off road rc for ages, but not sure what is most suitable, nitro or electric. i know petrol is right out of the question at the moment (and will hopefully be upgrading if i like rc), but there is sooooooo much choice. personally i like the sound you get from nitro and quite alright with the idea of tuning and maintanence, but not sure if i should go down that route as it may be a bit confusing, and ive heard electric is quite viable, especially brushless, but then come the fact of rain and mud (which is quite common in rural south west england). my budget is about £200 and i dont want to be repairing a buggy every time i hit a bump! so in that case, durable and fast(ish), whats ur thoughts and recogmendations?

leccy.....imo:good:..jus sold me boys brushless hyper 7tq for 180 rtr.....good solid buggys.....but depends what type u want....buggy...truggy...truck.....pick which then we can narrow it down possibly.....:yes:

this is a good deal

Edited by evssv

It all depends on the person, if you're mechanically minded and willing to fettle then you'll have a lot of fun with a nitro. A lot of people will say electric because it's easier to plug in a bettery and pull the trigger, and you don't have to worry about any noise complaints but I've always got a lot more out of nitro, the sound, smell and fact that there's a real engine there is just more satisfying and characterful than an electric motor. Nitro engines aren't rocket science, they're very simple but can be temperamental at times and frustrating, but there's a wealth of information online about them and you can learn everything you need to know within a few hours research (if your memory is good :P )

So, if youre mechanically minded and have a bug for an engine powered car, and have places you can use your car without worrying about any noise complaints then go for nitro.

If you want ease of use and need to please the neighbours then go electric.

32 minutes ago, jarjardude said:

Hey all,

i've wanted to start off road rc for ages, but not sure what is most suitable, nitro or electric. i know petrol is right out of the question at the moment (and will hopefully be upgrading if i like rc), but there is sooooooo much choice. personally i like the sound you get from nitro and quite alright with the idea of tuning and maintanence, but not sure if i should go down that route as it may be a bit confusing, and ive heard electric is quite viable, especially brushless, but then come the fact of rain and mud (which is quite common in rural south west england). my budget is about £200 and i dont want to be repairing a buggy every time i hit a bump! so in that case, durable and fast(ish), whats ur thoughts and recogmendations?

Would agree with evssv ^ I made the mistake of starting out in nitro. Don't get me wrong (this is where it gets confusing) I love nitro more than leccy. Although leccy is just so much better in real world use. Often quicker, cheaper, easier to use and work on, doesn't need as much maintenance (Some argue about that) 

Plus if you're wanting off roading then you'll have more control with leccy and it can be waterproof! 

Edited by HellaFlush

You may like the noise of nitro, but many don't. Something to bear in mind when making your choice. (Unless of course you are lucky enough to have your own large isolated piece of private land to run it on.)

I'm a nitro fan but I would suggest electric for a newbie. As has been said nitros are great but can be a bit temperamental and noise limits where you can use them. I would look at a brushless hyper 7 for a good solid basher. Your budget may be a bit tight though as you will need a charger and looks. If you decide to go nitro the hyper 7 is still a solid choice but again you will need hump packs, glow starters, glow plugs and fuel to list a few things on top of the cost of the buggy. It doesn't matter which you choose as long as you enjoy the hobby, people can take it too seriously.

• Like 2

Okay, I live in the countryside with large amounts of wide open fields, so noise isnt a problem, and the design im looking for is a buggy, :-) p.s: is the kyosho dbx 2.0 good for the money for a nitro or should I stretch my budget to a hyper?

Edited by jarjardude

hyper has always been well known for a good basher, parts are very easy to get hold off and also cheap. plus they are strong too.

not had a kyosho so cant comment but had a hyper for nearly 3 years i think.

2 hours ago, jarjardude said:

Okay, I live in the countryside with large amounts of wide open fields, so noise isnt a problem, and the design im looking for is a buggy, :-) p.s: is the kyosho dbx 2.0 good for the money for a nitro or should I stretch my budget to a hyper?

Wouldn't bother with a buggy if you're gonna be running it in fields. Buggies don't like anything more than mown grass or just slightly long. You'd be better off with a truggy for ground clearance and bigger wheels. Or even a monster truck 

If you're 100% sure that you'll be on a good regularly mown surface then a Buggy should still be fine :)

Buggy =hyper 

Truck=savage

Truggy=hyper st

Weather it  b  nitro  or brushless  any of these r proven  solid  bashers and easy to get parts for. ....:good:

But others r available:yes:......ive owned/own all 3 and can vouch for  all of them. ....:good:

Edited by evssv

I would suggest electric to start with, just charge and bash, if you get hooked on the hobby then go into fuel, after a couple of nitros, you will then go petrol and the rest will history. Save your pennies and make sure you buy a main brand with very good parts support, do not go with the cheaper ones, these will break and let you down.

If you really want to go nitro but are not sure if the hobby is for you have a look at the FTX Carnage NT. It's not a patch on the quality of the hypers and the like but they are a solid platform to learn on and a new 1 is well within budget and leaves some spare for glow starters etc. I have a carnage that lives in my work van ready for a cheeky bash at lunch etc. I don't really look after it apart from after run oil and it's still going strong. The GO engine can be a bit of a pain so you need to be ready for some frustration with it. Parts are easy to come by and not bad priced at the moment. If you want it to last year's then get a hyper or a savage, if you want to try it then maybe purchase another in a year or so consider the FTX.  As others have said I would go electric first though just for the plug and play factor.

If you aren't spending much money you are probably better off with an electric if nothing else because you can start the thing. A good nitro engine isn't hard to start or keep running so even a beginner can enjoy them - but not all nitro engines are like that. 

My first nitro was an HPI Savage with a engine that was a real pain. Put me off nitro's for ages. Eventually I got a Thunder Tiger ST1 with a much nicer engine that didn't need constant tinkering and enjoyed that a lot more. The wrong engine really wrecks your nitro experience. 

• Like 2