• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro engine not priming

beetlebug

Hi im having trouble priming my sons HPI Trophy Truggy. It hasn't been used for a couple of years but i'm sure we had this problem before and probably why we stopped using it.

It won't prime when exhaust blocked and engine turned over. I then tried taking pipe off exhaust and blowing through it but no air would go into tank. I then took pipe off carb and blow into pipe and fuel then come out of carb pipe. Does this mean no problem with tank and pipes but a problem with carb?

Any advice appreiciated.

It may be gummed up fuel in the carb, i fixed it by making note of the needle settings (high speed and low speed) completely unscrewing them, clean and screw back into the same settings.

There may be a better way of doing it but that worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, beetlebug said:

Hi im having trouble priming my sons HPI Trophy Truggy. It hasn't been used for a couple of years but i'm sure we had this problem before and probably why we stopped using it.

It won't prime when exhaust blocked and engine turned over. I then tried taking pipe off exhaust and blowing through it but no air would go into tank. I then took pipe off carb and blow into pipe and fuel then come out of carb pipe. Does this mean no problem with tank and pipes but a problem with carb?

Any advice appreiciated.

Yep you're going to want to strip down the carb and clean it out, also probably won't hurt to clean out the tank and get some new nitro fuel line :)

For the same symptoms, it's probably running lean - reasons as above - leak, gummed up carb.

Main thing is check for leaks - exhaust gasket and loosening head bolts were favourites for my nitros when I had them.

Al.

also - try opening throttle when blowing, air flow should allow it to prime up. But its prob down to a seal on the lid of the tank (give it a wipe) and / or change the fuel pipe.

If you pull the fuel line off the carb then blow down the exhaust line, does fuel flow out?

Take your airfilter off and open your throttle. Then take your pressure line off your exhaust and blow down it. You should see a stream of fuel flowing into the carb, with some resistance when blowing through the tube.

If there's heavy resistance then your carb may be blocked. Little resistance and no fuel going through and the seal on your fuel tank lid is gone