• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

5:2 fasting

Bigjimknickers

• 5 years later...
On 24/06/2016 at 22:38, Bigjimknickers said:

You get used to it!

im drinking 3L of water a day at the mo!

How are you getting on.  I did ok for a while but was still drinking and not looking at cals for junk food. 

But have started again 2 weeks ago.  2 fasting days a week no junk food.

without the junk food im not hungry  also gave up drinking about 5 weeks ago  only have the odd bottle of ale as i have some left.

not missing the drink of junk food  i think my body cannot make up it's mind if im craving or not.

looking to do a 7 day fast at some point.  but going to get some of them ketone test strips to see what is going on during a 1 day fast  then work up to 7

my real issues were  not eating to much but the wrong things.  as junk food soon adds up the cals.

I really need to sort myself out - before covid and into lockdown 1 I was training for a canal race and was fit as, lost 25kg and felt awesome for it, then as things went on and on and everything got canned I started drinking more, eating more and piled it all back on again - so now next week I’m running a canal race in lousy shape and 25kg heavier than I should be 🤦‍♂️

Its definitely a mental place for me, my head space is bad so my diet is bad. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I really need to sort myself out - before covid and into lockdown 1 I was training for a canal race and was fit as, lost 25kg and felt awesome for it, then as things went on and on and everything got canned I started drinking more, eating more and piled it all back on again - so now next week I’m running a canal race in lousy shape and 25kg heavier than I should be 🤦‍♂️

Its definitely a mental place for me, my head space is bad so my diet is bad. 

Good luck with the race  as for diet  work out what everything is in cals or whatever  then try to work out what you can eat  as you don't have to cut out all good stuff.  im trying to work out a lot of different meals so i haven't got to work out things everyday so that might help get away from the (diet) word.   As for drinking mine was down to just wanting something different to drink  as i only drink water  so im trying non alcoholic beer/ale  and that's been working   i have also started breathing exercises nothing special at the moment but i believe it has helped in a big way.   another bonus for me is less takeaways  so more money for other things.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, froggy8 said:

keep thinking about getting some exercise things but eventually they become clothes hangers.

Best exercise to do is good strong walking, start small, build up but the secret is to do it every day , look at the olf fogeys that go rambling, all thin as a whippet 

Humans as a species are a walking animal, in early days groups of humans would be nomadic and walk for miles , then we climbed onto horses....then built motor transport and started to lose the ability, im out of condition but can still do 5k 

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 2

This morning is a really low ebb if I’m honest, took a trip on the scales - 95.3kg, a shade over 15st - that’s the heaviest I ever remember being and I’m only 175cm tall, on a clinical scale that’s not just fat it’s obese - and let’s face it that’s a term nobody wants to be using about themselves. 

4 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

This morning is a really low ebb if I’m honest, took a trip on the scales - 95.3kg, a shade over 15st - that’s the heaviest I ever remember being and I’m only 175cm tall, on a clinical scale that’s not just fat it’s obese - and let’s face it that’s a term nobody wants to be using about themselves. 

Yep, time to sort it mate, I'm similar weight but 198cm tall and broad

• Like 1

5 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

I'm in the same boat as you mate. 175cm and 15 stone. Fortunately for me I do a very physical job so burning calories is easy. But i'm a sweet tooth, so for me sugar is the enemy and its hard to stay away from sodas & sweet treats, so getting the weight down is proving tough 😣

Edited by James.S

23 minutes ago, James.S said:

I'm in the same boat as you mate. 175cm and 15 stone. Fortunately for me I do a very physical job so burning calories is easy. But i'm a sweet tooth, so for me sugar is the enemy and its hard to stay away from sodas & sweet treats, so getting the weight down is proving tough 😣

The so called sugar & other things they put in stuff is a real drug.   Not had anything from Mc Donalds for about 2 years but about a month ago i had a big mac  and for a couple of days i had the urge to just eat everything i could.  Everyone is out to make money so they want you hooked.

• Like 2

Im doing 2  24hr fasts a week  but i want to test myself  so im 42 hrs in to a fast.    Going to keep going until  my body tells me i need to walk in a straight line lol  or i get hungry.   Don't ask me how to go without food  as i have always been a strange eater  when i was a kid i had to have 3 meals but when i left home i went straight to breakfast & tea  then just tea for many years.  i didn't seem to get hungry   the harder i worked the less i ate.  I would go without food without even noticing. 

Got about 47hrs in but my throat was really burning  no amount of water was stopping it so had to give in.

Edited by turok007
  • Like 1

I sinned  i was doing a 800k week  but my missus got a take a way so i gave in a got a doner kebab  never again i felt so bad the next day.  also only lost 4lb

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of interesting stories here and glad to hear that some fasting has helped folks in terms of weight loss / balance.

I used to do "Fasting" Fridays every now and then a few years back - I didn't need to lose weight but enjoyed the inner calmness very much. I generally work physically in construction but would make the Friday an office day. We would have a big meal on Thursday evening which I'd get done by 9pm then wait till 9pm on Friday evening. I would keep well hydrated during the day with water, hippy teas and 1 black coffee at lunch. Would love to get back on it but am probably a little under weight currently so not sensible... 

I was very keen at that time to step it up to a 2 day fast and was intrigued what a week fast might feel like!, but what with work and a few other issues felt it would perhaps be best when not working... Sadly never got the chance but perhaps in the future...

With regards to weight loss, my missus does the 16/8 hr thing essentially skipping breakfast calories - I can't say it has helped her (lol) but she feels much better for it and certainly all the info out there seems to imply this is the better way for most folk ( I do also note that she used to cycle between 8 and 16 miles to work every day so that has had the largest impact on her). Add in some regular easyish exercise and then ramp that up when comfortable.

From my research I have found that generally the more extreme dieting/fasting tends to not last. It is often more a complete alteration/ tweak of the full lifestyle that is needed and that will then last....

All the best folks 👍

• Like 1

been doing this for over a month now  and i feel a lot better.   i have gone off crisps which was my biggest issue with junk food.  also other bad food just don't taste as good now  plus feel like crap the next day as my body is not use to them.  once i get my 1200 k diet fully on track  i will go for a 7 day fast.  Im totally out of the 3 meal habit now  a few days i have forced myself to eat a little more as i was way under the 500 k i was doing for a week  just to prove i could do it.   Bit of advice for people trying to give up alcohol  just go on a strict diet  then your body just wants food  so the alcohol craving won't get a look in.

• Like 2

well i tried to start 1200k a day  but most days were just under 800k  i had to really force myself to eat something for dinner.  lost a couple of lb   but i didn't feel as good as when i was eating less.  just goes to show you don't need huge amounts of food  (well for me anyway)  still not had a drink  i have one in the fridge and a few bottles on my work area  but not been tempted.   I didn't plan to totally give up drinking  but just cutting the calories .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cursed myself with that last post  as i then had a really bad week  but made up for it with 7 days strict fasting  only having 2 toast per day.  i have learnt  some things over the last few months.

we have been tricked into eating 3 meals a day also snacks

and the body does heal itself faster when it doesn't have to deal with food all the time.  so when people say they feel better on a diet  it's not just the good food but your body is working less to process it so can look after itself better. Or to put it another way it's not you feeling better it's your body that is working a lot better

I know junk food makes you tired  but didn't really know how bad it was.  Most people need a pick me up  snack  but i believe this is caused by the junk food or snacks in the first place.

(i have only been counting calories and that is working really well for now  also learnt that a small packet of crisps has a lot more cals in than a whole tin of tuna  so i will have the tuna now  lol)