• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fuel Pressure

behappy2755

Hello, being bored from revision I had the idea to go to my garage and try to fire up my old Carnage NT after at least a year of it waiting patiently on the bench. I was surprised how well it performed, but I can remember it cutting out quite a bit as it did today. It seems as if the fuel is retreating down the fuel line away from the carb and back into the tank, which I believe is due to a higher pressure in the carb than the tank. Overall, the best tuning i could get was very rich, clouds of blue smoke, and it worked quite well at up to half throttle. Whenever I opened the throttle fully (either gently or sharply) the car would bog and die, or sometimes just cut. Today it even made a weird noise with quick, loud revving intervals. I thought it might be a lack of air, so I took the air filter off and drove around with an open carb for a little while, but the same happened. If I run it leaner, the fuel bubble doesn't reach the carb, this effect goes away if I let the car sit for 2 minutes with the engine off (maybe too hot?).

i remember fighting this problem a lot, any ideas??

1 hour ago, Shudson said:

Check the tank filler seal.

I agree with this, my Carnage NT has an issue with the tank seal - either get a new one or simply put a rubber band through the slot in the lid and then loop it down over the exhaust stinger. I had loads of issues trying to start mine, then I found the tank wasn't sealing which meant it was impossible to prime normally, it then cut out randomly when moving as the tank lid lost the air seal which then staves the engine of fuel.

Yeah the tank seal is fine, I remember a new tank was the first part that I bought. Yesterday I took the fuel line off the carb, and primed the engine with a blocked exhaust and loads of fuel came shooting out onto the floor. I think it must be some sort of overheating problem?

I the carb was stuck to I had to take the whole bloody engine apart to get to it with a wrench, I was playing around with the flywheel making the cylinder go up and down :mf_laughbounce: (the only good thing about an engine strip) when I noticed that there was a squeak coming from the front of the engine block during the downward stroke before the ports opened (the carb was still on at this point). The crankshaft port is closed at this point, but maybe the pressure is escaping around the side of the crankcase and up into the carb??  As the engine gets hotter, this fault might expand, which fits in with the other problems?? What would be the best solution; new crankshaft and/or engine block, or some trick to eliminate the gap like a sealant or whatever?

Edited by behappy2755