• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

IMAX charger question

TMaxxDave

I've got a iMax B6 (real) charger, says it can charge upto 6s, now I'm aware of PSUs and all that good stuff, but I've only got 3 LiPos so don't need anything fancy.

2 of my LiPos are the same. 2s, 5000mAh, same age, same charge cycles.

Is there a way I can charge both of these at the same time on my charger? Is it worth charging them together ?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

A single 2s 5000mah lipo battery needs 46 watts at least to charge. The Imax is on the limit already!!!

To charge 2 at once you need a charger capable of at least 92 watts. You'd also need to be able to go to 10 Amps (5000 x2) for parallel to work.

The only way is minimum 10A 100w charger or 2 Imax on the go.

Watts = amps x volts

A 2s 5000 is: 5a (5000) x 8.4v = 42 watts +10% charger efficiency loss = 46 watts per battery minimum needed.

Should've bought a bigger one in the first place. Those 50w are a waste of space :boredlook: How they get away with marketing those a 6s capable is beyond belief, would take 3 hours or more for one!!!! Absolute rip-off.

Can just about manage 1x 5000mah 2s flat out!

A single 2s 5000mah lipo battery needs 46 watts at least to charge. The Imax is on the limit already!!!

To charge 2 at once you need a charger capable of at least 92 watts. You'd also need to be able to go to 10 Amps (5000 x2) for parallel to work.

The only way is minimum 10A 100w charger or 2 Imax on the go.

Watts = amps x volts

A 2s 5000 is: 5a (5000) x 8.4v = 42 watts +10% charger efficiency loss = 46 watts per battery minimum needed.

Should've bought a bigger one in the first place. Those 50w are a waste of space :boredlook: How they get away with marketing those a 6s capable is beyond belief, would take 3 hours or more for one!!!! Absolute rip-off.

Can just about manage 1x 5000mah 2s flat out!

When i bought it, i had not done any research into LiPo chargers. I bought it and the LiPos together as the whole LiPo and brushless thing was totally new to me. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

Just now, TMaxxDave said:

When i bought it, i had not done any research into LiPo chargers. I bought it and the LiPos together as the whole LiPo and brushless thing was totally new to me. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

It's the way they advertise them, Misleading. Feel bad for new people coming to the hobby being told "yeah this'll be fine" and it takes hours to charge up. Puts them right off.

Modelsport reccommend people buy the overlander 50w all the time at near £50 for charging a 4s battery! :angry:

Thats coming in cheaper than i thought it was going to. My main issue at the moment is..... lack of funds and space. Thinking i need to build a charge station for a PSU and charger that is moveable

I would stay away from parallel charger boards and use a dual charger instead. (because if you accidentally connect a charged lipo with a discharged one, it will not be fun)

You can use a serial charger adapter which is safer - but with a 50W charger, it will only charge 2x2S with 3.2Amps

IMG_20160423_182505_HDR.jpg

Edited by danb1974

Do you use that Cable? I learned that the middle red one should be left out so you only have 2 balance leads going to one batt and 3 to the other as they are already connected together via the main lead. Can apparently short out set up like the image. Maybe that way does work then. 

I always charged my 2s and 3s in series with the middle red omitted and it worked perfectly. 

This way you can in effect charge 2 5000mah on a 5A 80w at just under 1C.

Whereas in parallel you'd need to have the ability to set it at 10A.

Series was more efficient but isn't as safe, batts have to be an exact match too.

Edited by dazp1976

22 hours ago, danb1974 said:

I would stay away from parallel charger boards and use a dual charger instead. (because if you accidentally connect a charged lipo with a discharged one, it will not be fun)

You can use a serial charger adapter which is safer - but with a 50W charger, it will only charge 2x2S with 3.2Amps

IMG_20160423_182505_HDR.jpg

Been doing a bit of research as I'm concerned using the lead in this config could cause an issue and don't want you losing a cell.

Those 2 balance leads in the middle are connected to the same output. If the cell connected to the red one is full and the cell connected the black one is low or vice versa the charger will only see the full one. The lower one will never balance up and always be lower. This will result in the lower cell weakening quicker than the rest. 

The red wire needs the pin taking out so the charger can see all the cells individually and not the 2 together. The 2 batts are already connected together via the main harness so does not need the red wire.

That cable is designed for small type chargers that only use the balance tap.

This is mine. Note my red balance cable in the middle is missing and the charger sees all 4 cells individually :thumbsup:

7tUPaQl.jpg

Wiring diagrams for series charging with main lead attached: 

2s

bal_gen_2s2s_wmain.gif

3s

Dual3slipoadapter.jpg

These are from Scriptasylum.com and is one of the most reliable sites for information.

Battery university & wikipedia and the like are the worst for incorrect info.

Edited by dazp1976

The series charge cable as pictured is correctly wired and yes I use it.

The balance series adapter was purchased as seen and is correctly wired, no need to cut any wires. If you look closely, inner red and black are wired together (yes you can cut one of them but there is no need, they are also wired together via the power cable).

But if you pair wrong the power and balance connectors, you get yourself a short. Watch the outer red and black of the balance cable in relation to red and black of the power cable.

Once correctly assembled (that's what the zip ties are for, to make sure I can't do mistakes), I can charge 2x2S even if not equally discharged.

A dual charger still remains the safest bet, especially if you are not familiar with how lipos are wired. Only use series charging if you understand all the wiring.

Edited by danb1974

11 minutes ago, danb1974 said:

The series charge cable as pictured is correctly wired and yes I use it.

The balance series adapter was purchased as seen and is correctly wired, no need to cut any wires. If you look closely, inner red and black are wired together (yes you can cut one of them but there is no need, they are also wired together via the power cable).

But if you pair wrong the power and balance connectors, you get yourself a short. Watch the outer red and black of the balance cable in relation to red and black of the power cable.

Once correctly assembled (that's what the zip ties are for, to make sure I can't do mistakes), I can charge 2x2S even if not equally discharged.

A dual charger still remains the safest bet, especially if you are not familiar with how lipos are wired. Only use series charging if you understand all the wiring.

There we are then.

Works both ways as long as you follow the polarities correctly ;).

I've seen the wiring diagrams done both ways with the center balance line cut / un-cut.

Cheers for the clarification :thumbsup:

I always thought it was a very efficient way to charge 2s together as a 4s rather than parallel.

Also if your charger only goes to 7A This is the way to go.

It is efficient only if both packs are more or less equally discharged, because most chargers have very weak balancers (ever tried to balance a badly unbalanced pack? it takes forever and some)

Cheapest is to get another charger Imax or Accucel 6, plus it comes it handy when have lots of different pack types which always seem to have to be charged at the same time. I'm using a a server PSU to power both.