• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

On 14 April 2016 at 20:44, Tug said:

20160404_094754.jpg

Now I know i'm massively late to this party, but that's a sweet purchase! Love the shell, looking forward to seeing her in the flesh!! Now to get me a roller so I can take all those stinky, greasy, petrolly bits off your hands ;) 

Also, Tuggles, how many eggs does one family need???!

• Like 1

Not impressed with the supplied battery tray, so I've had a go at making a battery box. It needs tidying up, but not a bad job so far, it should be tough enough as it's PVC plastic with ally bracing. 

IMG-20160515-WA0003.jpeg

With the lid on. 

IMG-20160515-WA0005.jpeg

A few bits still to do, then I'll start on the second box. That'll sit up front where the tray used to sit. I'll try 16000mah at 8S, but if it's too heavy, I'll stick to 8000mah at 8S. 

That's all for now. 

Edited by Tug

2 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

16,000 8s should give you a nice long run!

Battery tray looks very neat too, is that 3D printed or have you just made it yourself?

Paint it black and it'll look production made :)

Yeah, but the off-set might be a detrimental increase in weight. We shall see. 

Knocked it up using a two gang surface pattress, cut it in half and extended it with ally. Some rough edges need cleaning up and I want to add foam padding, I'll do all of this before it's used in anger. 

I am thinking of painting it, but probably red as that's the theme that's going on. 

:good:

Red or even yellow would also work.

I went with black because that's how most stuff tends to come nowadays lol, the more 'stealth' approach.

I imagine any colour within the overall theme would look good though.

On something that heavy I can't see it being a problem, with regards to the weight thing.

14 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Red or even yellow would also work.

I went with black because that's how most stuff tends to come nowadays lol, the more 'stealth' approach.

I imagine any colour within the overall theme would look good though.

On something that heavy I can't see it being a problem, with regards to the weight thing.

Yeah, I may just go black, that way it'll blend into the background and hopefully hide all the imperfections. My main aim is making it tough, I'll try to vid the next test run. 

Had a proper test of the battery box tonight, although it looks hideous, it worked perfectly. Lots of foam padding helped protect the cells, accompanied by two velcro straps. I want to fix the foam in place, but that's not imperative. 

She saw a little air, the onlookers were impressed. 

Also picked up her first proper battle scar, a hidden lump of concrete took a chunk of the front brace out. Bit gutted about that, but it happens. 

Some tweaking to box one has taken place, I'm now happy with the final design. It still looks a bit ropey, but a coat of black paint will help hide its shame. 

20160518_182210.jpg

20160518_182225.jpg

The foam (1/8 buggy foam inserts) is holding the cells so firmly, that just the one strap is definitely enough. 

Box two next! 

Once I've got the second box installed, the doubling of the C rating might be the right time to go back up to 780KV, we'll see. 

Cheers, Harvey. 

So, buoyed by my earlier success (yes, I'm calling it a success!), I decided to get busy on box two. I thought I'd make use of the Carbon fibre tray from RCMadness, and bolt my own box down to it. 

20160518_210058.jpg

Penny washers underneath to spread the load, but these will be replaced with a full piece of ally at some point. 

20160518_210049.jpg

There are nuts in between the box and tray to allow the strap to pass through. 

20160518_210105.jpg

Mounted prior to applying foam padding. 

20160518_210120.jpg

Foamed, strapped and ready to go! 

20160518_212235.jpg

20160518_212247.jpg

20160518_212301.jpg

This is one seriously overweight car! All connected! 

IMG_20160518_213003.jpg

That's all for tonight, cheers. 

Edited by Tug

16000mah at 8S, but that's quite some weight penalty. Not weighed it yet.

Not fussed if the idea doesn't work, it's solved two other problems anyway, the weight is more evenly spread and the cells are much better protected. So those two bonuses alone are worth the effort. Test run as soon as time and weather allow. 

2 minutes ago, scatteh316 said:

Weight will be interesting!! My X2 is just over 19kg now....

Cheers for that, it gives me an idea of what to aim for, which is basically less than 19!

A quick five minute run in the street showed no loss of acceleration or top speed, so that's good. 

The extra weight meant I had to jack the suspension back up a bit, this meant for a bit more roll side to side, but the 5ive platform does that, so not bothered. 

Pleased with the mods so far, loving this car. 

• Like 1

Had a great run tonight, about an hour in total. Motor hit 75C, but not worried as it had taken a while to get there. 

I've decided that running two sets of 8S in parallel isn't worth the weight penalty, but having two battery boxes does wonders for weight distribution. I'm going with running the cells lying flat like this; 

20160520_225508.jpg

The cells are perfectly cosseted and can come to no harm like this. 

Next jobs are rear shock oils and get the mechanical brakes working. Then drive to Leeds to show him how it's done! ;)

Got some good footage tonight, will upload it soon. It includes some air time. 

• Like 2