• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

1 hour ago, Noj said:

Still a little tame for my tastes, get it geared up man! ;)

Have him a race with yours Noj... Show him how it's done... I'll come and make some rattling gear noises to make up for yours if you want :P:lol:

I jest ;)

You just need a nice dirt area now Tug, along with a nice sweeping jump or two... Not asking for too much lol.

Tame it might be, but it's suiting me perfectly! 

Just had a run with fully charged packs, motor hit 60C again, but the grass is long. ESC barely hit 30C, so maybe gear up? I've got a 21 tooth pinion coming, might try it for testing purposes. 

I did get mud on it, not happy about that! I had to hose the shell off! 

23 hours ago, big gaz said:

Looks awesome and as already said, good speed for bashing.

whats happening with the petrol bits? I wouldn't mind buying the air filter cover if it comes available?

following with interest :good:

Sorry, forgot to reply. Not decided on the gasser gear yet, I'll see how she runs leccy before I make any decisions. :rc_car:

Have you thought about a motor blower?

It could be a way to bring the motor temps down a bit so you can gear up more without the thoughts of rising temps in your mind.

Especially on hot days.

Just a thought anyway, I've never looked into prices etc... But I imagine it would solve any potential motor temp problems.

I have thought about a motor fan, but would rather not have to go that route. As you said before, 65C isn't critical, the motor's are designed to take that kind of temp on a regular basis. 

Small update, the ESC is now properly bolted down. I drilled the Rx pack box lid, then screwed from underneath, penny washers to spread the load. 

20160422_205257.jpg

(I think it can stay, nobody will buy a car with holes in the battery box lid?:) )

And no, I can't remember what denier tights I used for the mesh mod! ;)

Edited by Tug

8 hours ago, Carpmart said:

Well thats remeasuring then, the cars made it to the the 'keep' list!  I'd sell other before this Clive! :D 

Yeah, I think that's wise. I know I've never owned a 5ive, in fact I've never driven a 5ive! But this is close enough and it's amazing! A pleasure to control! 

Now, to get my preferred one to two degree toe-in and to get the front wheels upright, I've had to adjust the turnbuckles quite a lot. This means there's far less contact between the threaded sections of the turnbuckles and the rod-ends. This worries me a little, any thoughts? Is this the same with the Losi? 

Cheers! 

You could always get some metal rod ends bud, I think they're only about 6quid a pair on eBay, then just set them to where you want and stick some bearing retainer on them, they'll never come off then, bit of a PITA if the turnbuckle actually snaps, but it's something I know a few people have done so thought I'd just suggest it to you in case you're not aware of the 'mod' :)

Cheers, I've been working today, on my way home now, will measure up soon. 

Metal ones? Might be worth a look, I'm not planning on any harsh bashing, so shouldn't move a weak point along. Accidents do happen though! 

Right, first ever proper bash today, it was bloody awesome! Ocdcbr has some vid, hopefully that won't be long in coming. 

The car ran perfectly, nothing failed, but there was cause for concern. The lipos shifted and came within seconds of being ripped open by the pinion! This will be addressed for the longterm. 

Just about fast enough to not look silly. Handles just like any 5ive, which means it handles perfectly. Temps were fine, the motor clocked 50C, the ESC didn't know it had been switched on it was so cool. 

First ever jump resulted in a barrel roll and roof landing. No damage. 

Then I managed to launch it off of the smallest berm ever and slam her nose first into the large berm I was aiming for! She flipped right over, but still no damage. 

WHAT...........A............MACHINE! 

Happy days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noj said:

That silly conversion kit layout....good to know nowt was damaged or cooked off :good:

My Max 5 arrived today, let's see how cool it stays with a 2028 attached....

what are you putting the max 5 and 2028 in?

Edited by saviown

It was a smile inducer fo sho! I even let other people drive it! 

Things to attend to; 

Servo is weak as a kitten. Must find something better, what kind of power is needed? 

Diffs have held up thus far, but I know the internals need replacing. 

Rear shocks are still over-damped, must buy oil. 

How much turning power do you want and what's the budget?

Have a Savox 0235 in mine, which works fine and is getting 7.4v via the BEC pro. I guess the max5 adjustable bec allows you to run the same voltage?. Tempted to drop my new spektrum 9010 in before it goes into the rail build, however been advised that converting to a push/pull set up (as Norco has just installed to his 5ive) is a wise move. Neither option could be classed as cheap tho.....

If turning circle overall is an issue, team hoonage do a short Ackerman plate which will make turn in sharper; I'll be fitting this when the rally conversion is done.

• Like 1

To be honest, turning circle isn't too much of an issue, blip throttle and flick wheel and she'll turn. It's just that she's slow to respond to the helm, speed and power are lacking. I'm guessing at a transition speed of sub 0.15 and upwards of 35kgs are needed? 

Quicker with more torque, new servo time then matey.

Knowing you like Hitec, is there anything in their range that fits the bill??

I might just get mine running today....once many, many pounds have been shed, and the diffs sorted....

There's bound to be something, research time. When I change the servo, I'll also install a BEC, I don't want to overload the built-in BEC.

I've designed a battery box in my head, now to make it happen. 

The pinion showed no sign of wear after yesterday, so it looks like I might have the mesh correct. 

In other news, I only buy Philips tips, pozi only fit pozi, but Philips fit both Philips and pozi head screws.