• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

I'm using a 6s setup...I am tempted to go to 8s. I know a 12s setup is going to jerk those gears around and start stripping things and things get hot at that Voltage...But your Esc idea is great...

11 minutes ago, Reg X2 said:

I'm using a 6s setup...I am tempted to go to 8s. I know a 12s setup is going to jerk those gears around and start stripping things and things get hot at that Voltage...But your Esc idea is great...

Hi Reg! 

Glad you're still running yours! What pinion you running? 

I really want to get the most efficient system I can, I've got 780, 520 and 380kv to choose from. The 380 would definitely need 12 cells to get it spinning at a decent lick, but should cope with the weight ok due to its torque. 

I'll sleep on it. 

By the way, you posted a comment on a recent Savvy vid, but I didn't get notification until after I'd deleted the vid! Sorry about that, I wasn't ignoring you. :good:

Well, she goes like stink with the 780kv on 8S, but gets through cells pretty quick. 

Might have had the mesh too tight, looks like mild damage to both the spur and pinion. 

That's probably exactly what it is..... It took me a few runs after I install my first pinion that I realize it was too tight I had to adjust the shims on the bottom of the frame because it wasn't lining up correctly the pinion against the gear.... That's probably exactly what the problem is I bet you...

It might still run freely to your hand, but if a bearing is bust and not turning, the friction created between the inner race of the bearing and the shaft will be very high, but you still might not feel it.

Double check the bearings if you can easily, that would be my first port of call.

@Carpmart - ever noticed your 46 doing this?

• 2 weeks later...

So, it appears that my CD is locking up under load, either through the plastic cup flexing and allowing the gears to move or the diff tower flexing. The diff tower flexes horribly, not good for the mesh on the spur and pinion, probably not good for the diff internals. 

Any recommendations on ally upgrades would be appreciated. 

21 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Wow 100c drive shaft thats a record in my book. Lucky you found it before cooking stuff man. 

Recently hit a new high of 122 Celsius! 

22 hours ago, Tug said:

I'll have to look around. The twist of the diff tower is quite bad, it will definitely need addressing. 

Not sure on how you stand about 'cheap' brands, but I have used quite a bit of AreaRC stuff and so far it has been great, used a few braces and such on a Losi 5ive in fact and I would have no hesitation about buying it again :good:

ModifiedRC also make them, not sure how I forgot about them, but they are pricey; https://abbotsrc.co.uk/Modified-RC-CENTER-DIFF-MOUNT-SET-FOR-LOSI-5IVE-T-P3255678.aspx

• Thanks 1

When I bought all my 5ive stuff it was very well priced, so maybe it has gone up a bit.

One thing I would praise them for against other 'cheaper' brands is the threads are really nice.

You sometimes find on budget items/brands, the threads in stuff can sometimes be a bit tight and notchy but those weren't.