• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Motor mounting hole sizes

losi8igh

Why is it awkward to find what I think is quite basic information?

I am looking at a couple of motors for my Losi 8ight but need to know mounting holes sizes.

The Losi instructions say the mounting screws to attach the motor to the mount are M4 yet I am using a M3 driver to put them onto the existing motor I have so I am a bit confused as to wether the fixings are indeed M3 or M4.

This is affecting my motor choice,I am looking at the Castle 151 2200kv,Tenshock X802LV2 and HPI Flux Tork.

The Tenshock says it has M3 and M4 fixings on it but I cant find what size fixing the Castle of HPI Flux use.

I would have thought this would be easy to find,maybe it's just me not looking in the right places?

I am going to Screwfix in a bit to see if I can establish exactly what size screw the motor mount uses then at least if/when I can find out the motor mounting holes sizes I have something to work with. 

5 minutes ago, losi8igh said:

Why is it awkward to find what I think is quite basic information?

I am looking at a couple of motors for my Losi 8ight but need to know mounting holes sizes.

The Losi instructions say the mounting screws to attach the motor to the mount are M4 yet I am using a M3 driver to put them onto the existing motor I have so I am a bit confused as to wether the fixings are indeed M3 or M4.

This is affecting my motor choice,I am looking at the Castle 151 2200kv,Tenshock X802LV2 and HPI Flux Tork.

The Tenshock says it has M3 and M4 fixings on it but I cant find what size fixing the Castle of HPI Flux use.

I would have thought this would be easy to find,maybe it's just me not looking in the right places?

I am going to Screwfix in a bit to see if I can establish exactly what size screw the motor mount uses then at least if/when I can find out the motor mounting holes sizes I have something to work with. 

I've just looked at the 8ight-e RTR, M3x8mm screws (part no# TLR5930) secure the motor to the mount adapter (tlr242006) which then slides into the mount.

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOS04003-Exploded_View.pdf

Every 1/8 motor brand I've used have M3 mounting holes, some also have M4 though on the flip side I've not come across a standard mount for a 1/8 that uses M4 to secure the motor.  All three motors you've listed will attach fine using M3 screws.

T

Thanks but looking at the instructions I have and checking online does indicate that the fixing screws to hold the motor to the mount are indeed M4 and not M3 like I though,I thought it might be a typo in the manual but checking online they come back as being M4 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=tlr245003&oq=tlr245003&aqs=chrome..69i57.18714j1j4

Maybe for the slighty newer Losi 8ight 3.0 they changed from M3 to M4?

Certainly seems to limit the motor choice a bit now :(

Only other thing I suppose is to get the "old" motor mount piece that uses M3 fixings instead.  

32 minutes ago, losi8igh said:

Thanks but looking at the instructions I have and checking online does indicate that the fixing screws to hold the motor to the mount are indeed M4 and not M3 like I though,I thought it might be a typo in the manual but checking online they come back as being M4 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=tlr245003&oq=tlr245003&aqs=chrome..69i57.18714j1j4

Maybe for the slighty newer Losi 8ight 3.0 they changed from M3 to M4?

Certainly seems to limit the motor choice a bit now :(

Only other thing I suppose is to get the "old" motor mount piece that uses M3 fixings instead.  

Ok.  What Losi do you have?  I've just looked at the 3.0 race kit:

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=TLR04002#prodManuals

It uses the same M3 screws to mount the motor to the plate.  Both the manual and exploded diagram are the same.  The new 4.0 uses M4 according to the manual and exploded diagram.  

If you've got the mount there do you not have an M3 and M4 screw to drop in and see what fits?

I have the Losi 8ight 3.0 T

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-losi-racing-8ight-t-e-3.0-eletric-truggy-kit/rc-car-products/394235

Motor mount screws are definetley M4.

I have ordered some M3 bolts as well as some M3 washers,didnt have any already as the rest of the Losi is imperial!

Hoping the head of the M3 will fit into the mount hole and stay centred,also the washers I got are quite small in diameter so hoping they might fit in the hole first and then centre the screw if needed.

25 minutes ago, losi8igh said:

I have the Losi 8ight 3.0 T

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-losi-racing-8ight-t-e-3.0-eletric-truggy-kit/rc-car-products/394235

Motor mount screws are definetley M4.

I have ordered some M3 bolts as well as some M3 washers,didnt have any already as the rest of the Losi is imperial!

Hoping the head of the M3 will fit into the mount hole and stay centred,also the washers I got are quite small in diameter so hoping they might fit in the hole first and then centre the screw if needed.

Assuming the mount itself is the same across all the models, and only the insert is different then sourcing the M3 insert tlr242006 would solve the problem.  It looks to be avail for around £12, and some outlets list it for the 3.0 and 4.0.

For what it's worth the Tenshock is a great motor, and definitely has both m3 and m4 mounting holes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, capri-boy said:

Assuming the mount itself is the same across all the models, and only the insert is different then sourcing the M3 insert tlr242006 would solve the problem.  It looks to be avail for around £12, and some outlets list it for the 3.0 and 4.0.

For what it's worth the Tenshock is a great motor, and definitely has both m3 and m4 mounting holes.

Looked at that option and the centre mount piece is again listed as being different on my Losi compared to some of the other models,typical :)

Will wait until I get the fixings.

I have a motor already but dont like it :)