• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FID Dragon Hammer, Long Term Testing

hoss

Hoss ...

In the pictures it seems to show numerous cars.  There are different components on them like steering links, colour of the alloy components etc...  Did you upgrade the hell,out of it and these pictures are taken over seval months?  

Hoss ...

In the pictures it seems to show numerous cars.  There are different components on them like steering links, colour of the alloy components etc...  Did you upgrade the hell,out of it and these pictures are taken over seval months?  

Your getting a little confused bud

The Dragon Hammer is the one with the GOLD Chassis, & RED Alloy

The Losi DBXL is the one with the SILVER Chassis, & Mixed colored Alloy parts :)

Edited by hoss
  • Like 1

And for those that 'Think' This is a Losi DBXL Clone ;)

Here is ther Dragon next to a Highly Modded DBXL ( Neil Leigh's)

20151206_111734_zpsjwmihfac.jpg

On the Left is the FID DRAGON HAMMER

On the Right is a LOSI DBXL

20151206_111739_zps4igpngxv.jpg

On the Left is the FID DRAGON HAMMER

On the Right is a LOSI DBXL

20151206_111745_zpsfjymd1jj.jpg

20151206_111820_zpsvm1ujxkq.jpg

20151206_111858_zpsmax11ksu.jpg

20151206_111904_zpsyy80s9wc.jpg

20151206_111910_zpsjtggtvgs.jpg

20151206_112219_zpsocpn5oqb.jpg

Above is the FID DRAGON HAMMER

20151206_112223_zps3wumizpx.jpg

Above is a LOSI DBXL

20151206_112255_zpsjixs77zq.jpg

20151206_112250_zpszfpixvv5.jpg

Above is a LOSI DBXL

20151206_112228_zpsgb9lornz.jpg

20151206_112245_zpsolaypbve.jpg

Above is a LOSI DBXL

20151206_112304_zpswwjmwvp2.jpg

20151206_112300_zps6zakml3c.jpg

Above is a LOSI DBXL

20151206_112318_zpsyg4mxoc4.jpg

20151206_112313_zps1pmzih9u.jpg

Above is a LOSI DBXL

I Hope that Help's clear thing's up for you Carpmart

:)

Nope, I don't get it. ;)

Now getting serious again, I'm torn. It is a high price point, but the spec and durability  (based on your review) seem to quantify that price. I couldn't afford one, but if I could, I think the price is justified for what you're getting. 

I Hope that Help's clear thing's up for you Carpmart

:)

It does indeed - didn't read your thread properly so was being somewhat dense! :) 

One other question, my experience with this kind of axle is that under hard acceleration and with a little chassis flex means that  it cocks a front wheel, does this happen?   

Edited by Carpmart

The roller will Exclude

Engine, Battery, Radio gear, Servos and Exhaust.

(oh and you need petrol and oil ;) )

Thank god you cleared up needing fuel and oil.... :rolleyes:

Are all the servo horns and linkages there?  Pinion?  Clutch bell and housing?  air filter?

Any other exhausts fit?

How do I order?

Just a thought, might be an idea to do an unboxing video so we can see what is included?

Edited by Carpmart
  • Like 2

Are all the servo horns and linkages there?  Pinion?  Clutch bell and housing?  air filter?

Any other exhausts fit?

How do I order?

I will be very interested in your thoughts and comparison to the losi five, I couldn't wait to part with the cash for the five but this just isn't grabbing me the same

I will be very interested in your thoughts and comparison to the losi five, I couldn't wait to part with the cash for the five but this just isn't grabbing me the same

No problem Shaun... I love Largescale cars and I'm always happy to try the latest offering!  Hoss is an experienced chap, so value his review...  

Even if if its not as good as a five, it's clearly an interesting new addition to the 'scene' which is all good as far as I'm concerned! :) 

• Like 1

The Vekta looks good, but I think the FID wins on looks, it's a better balance looks wise. 

• Like 2

It does indeed - didn't read your thread properly so was being somewhat dense! :) 

Happy to Help :) 

One other question, my experience with this kind of axle is that under hard acceleration and with a little chassis flex means that  it cocks a front wheel, does this happen?   

There's certainly ZERO chassis flex

(Believe me I've tried, it's super Stiff)

But if you soften the rear end, and turn out of a corner with a Lot of power on,

Then you can get it to wave at you,

Much like it's 'Real Life' counter parts :) 

Yes,

Billet Alloy adjustable servo Horn's,

Clutch Bell (which is a Hex Fitment)

Pinion,

Clutch Housing,

Full Air-filter set up,

Throttle linkage,

Billet Alloy Engine Mount,

Servo screw plates,

Are ALL included with the Roller :) 

Any other exhausts fit?

Obviously the Stock can type,

So the likes of the X-cans would,

But I have only tested their performance pipe,

So can't honestly say in all certainty if others might or might not fit for sure :) 

How do I order?

Rcmodelz will be sorting something next week I believe :) 

Just a thought, might be an idea to do an unboxing video so we can see what is included?

That IS planned :) 

I've had it up against quite a few of them Sean :) 

And it certainly holds it's own,

An on a rougher track, they struggle to keep up as these really do Soak up the rough stuff :) 

But it's all 'Horses for Course's'

And I don't think it's for Everyone, an that's fine :) 

Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the very same stuff :) 

No problem Shaun... I love Largescale cars and I'm always happy to try the latest offering!  Hoss is an experienced chap, so value his review...  

Even if if its not as good as a five, it's clearly an interesting new addition to the 'scene' which is all good as far as I'm concerned! :) 

Your Spot on :) 

It really does make a Great addition to the scene

And takes it in new directions :) 

It's also opened up my running area's locally, 

As there are places I can't take on X2 or Baja,

But I can throw this out and thrash it about all day long without a worry :) 

That said, if I want to run on the normal area's with the current stuff it's equally at home,

As it is on the gravel car parks when we got flooded out of our bash area's over this winter :) 

Where ever you take it you'll not fail to enjoy yourself :) 

• Like 1

The Vekta looks good, but I think the FID wins on looks, it's a better balance looks wise. 

Not sure I'd agree with that Mate... I think the Vekta looks better.  I've had my deposit down for about 'a year' already!  Getting VERY bored waiting.... Will get one of the FIDDDDSSSS and scratch the itch, who knows, this could be the one!  I had 7 Baja's when I bought my first 5ive.  Other than the not so fast 'speed' project, I've got zero Baja now and five Losi 5ives...  I wonder where I will be in another 4years? :D 

• Like 2

I've had it up against quite a few of them Sean :)

And it certainly holds it's own,

An on a rougher track, they struggle to keep up as these really do Soak up the rough stuff :)

This is so counter intuitive.  IRS has to be better over rough terrain than a live axle....  That axle, even 4 linked will tramp about all over the place....

• Like 2

Not sure I'd agree with that Mate... I think the Vekta looks better.  I've had my deposit down for about 'a year' already!  Getting VERY bored waiting.... Will get one of the FIDDDDSSSS and scratch the itch, who knows, this could be the one!  I had 7 Baja's when I bought my first 5ive.  Other than the not so fast 'speed' project, I've got zero Baja now and five Losi 5ives...  I wonder where I will be in another 4years? :D 

I guess it's subjective, but to my eyes the Vekta does look good, but the FID just looks more proportional and more "pretty". 

Seven? Wildly differing set-ups? Not tempted to have kept one? (Not including the speed car!)

Indeed, what will we all be drooling over in the next few years? While we're on that subject, lithium is great, but what comes next? What will trump lipos in terms of energy density? 

I'm still in the market for a 5ive or 5ive derivative, lovely machine! 

Cracking writeup.. Would be interested in getting one of these, £850 don't sound 'too' bad, but factoring in all electrics, Engine and pipe etc it takes it way north of the 1k mark..  Seems like the going rate for all the new 1/5's that are coming to market..  Love the looks and the shiny bits :D

Will see how it goes as got to get this Vekta sorted first!

This is so counter intuitive.  IRS has to be better over rough terrain than a live axle....  That axle, even 4 linked will tramp about all over the place....

You would think so wouldn't you :) 

But there is a reason 'Real Life' 

'King of Hammers' Truck's work so well & do it all with ease and so fast ;) 

But in total honesty it is hard to wrap your head around it, it's almost better to try it for yourself :) 

And you're more than welcome to come and give it a good going over an test it in whatever situation you fancied :) 

A lot of it does come down to the shear amount of travel & articulation you can get with this set up,

It'll twist & move to take up anything thrown at it :) 

I think the Vekta is a great looking bit of kit :) 

Although it looks better 'Dressed' than 'Undressed' if you follow my meaning,

It seems rather strange looking with the body off somehow :\ 

But I'm with you on the car front :D 

When we Started the Baja forum UK all we had was Baja's :P 

I then had my MCD's, 5ive's

But now thing's are changing ;) 

And it's Exciting to see some new directions instead of the same basic 'Chassis with arms & shocks' hanging off each corner,

Which if we're honest, they are all pretty much along those lines :-) 

So to change tack and look much more towards the 'REAL SCALE' stuff is a nice branching off in a different direction :) 

• Like 3

Hoss... the king of hammers has IRS and beam 'live' axle trucks too.  Which type of vehicle wins any give race depends on the course.  Mainly fast off road and the IRS trucks win, more slow Rock crawling sections favour the live axle trucks.  This is why I'm asking the questions I am, as your going against what should be the case.  In real life IRS is quicker over off road desert fast terrain....

:) I Know
I watch nearly every stage :)

I'm not talking about Desert Terrain ;)

But like I say Bud

Feel Free to pop and have a Blast :)

Give it a go yourself, That's the Best way to get a feel for what I mean, and how well it really goes :)

:) I Know
I watch nearly every stage :)

I'm not talking about Desert Terrain ;)

But like I say Bud

Feel Free to pop and have a Blast :)

Give it a go yourself, That's the Best way to get a feel for what I mean, and how well it really goes :)

• Like 1

I watched the king of hammers highlights.  unfortunately winning that is just as much a testament to reliability as it is to performance.  Those Iive axles do tramp everywhere, they hop and skip all over the place as the videos on YouTube show.  A number of the faster cars of the 2016 event that had independent suspension components retired through technical failure.

With all that said, it wouldn't stop me buying one of these, just because it's something different and appears to be very strong.  in rc having a reliable car is probably more important than being the fastest.  nobody wants to sit spannering on a car all the time whilst everybody else is racing.

Edited by andyknight