• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie question on flywheel/clutch bell install

m1tch_87

Hi all,

Just working on installing the new flywheel and clutch to my new engine, with the flywheel on the end of the shaft doesn't actually come past the clutch bell when everything is assembled - eg I can't remove any shims as there aren't any. There is a small gap between the flywheel and the engine, I am guessing I need to remove some of the collet cone for the flywheel to sit closer to the engine?

I am guessing I can't just add shims to the other side of the clutch bell as when trying this and tightening down the screw at the end the whole thing just locks up so guessing I need to remove some material from the collet?

I have got the flywheel on, had to shave the collet down a bit, clutch and everything is on now, using a single gear bell at the moment, won't be able to fit the 2 speed threaded bell as the shaft isn't long enough - can you get shaft extensions to run the slightly longer bells?

Also I took the pull starter off the engine which then promptly exploded so I am going to have to spend another few evenings putting that back together again!

I have sorted out the issue around fitting the standard single gear clutch bell, the 3 shoe clutch is also fitted and everything spins freely, however I am needing to swap out to a 2 speed threaded bell which seems to be slightly longer and the crank shaft isn't quite long enough. 

Is there a spacer kit I can get that would extend the crankshaft a tiny bit - only 1-2mm if that, I obviously can't just tighten the nut at the end down tight as this then binds everything up. Below is the example on the larger .28 engine, but I think I have the same issue on the .28 engine as well (bell fits on both fine):

Single speed bell:

IMG_0387_zpsjrliapap.jpg

2 speed bell - just need a tiny spacer or something at the end of the crankshaft, might be able to get some 3mm ID pipe or something?

IMG_0386_zps3hepye9w.jpg

4 hours ago, Ian w said:

Can`t see from your picturs but are you sure that is sat right down on the internal bearing.?

I have checked everything over, the clutch bells are the same size eg depth to the internal bearing, the difference between the clutch bells are that the 2 speed threaded bell is slightly taller but a few mm to accept the various gears.

It would seem that if I simply added in a small metal spacer with a 3mm ID and 5mm OD it would add an additional sleeve for the bolt at the end to tighten down on - instead of the bearings etc. The bolt at the end is only really holding the clutch bell in its current position, if I simply loosen the end bolt the whole assembly spins freely - its just finding a way to ensure that I can tighten everything down.

My only worry about putting a spacer in there would be that the bell would not be actually running on the full bearing. You could see if you could get a thinner bearing that may do the job

10 hours ago, Ian w said:

My only worry about putting a spacer in there would be that the bell would not be actually running on the full bearing. You could see if you could get a thinner bearing that may do the job

It would be more of a sleeve than a spacer - 3mm ID and 5mm OD which would extend out the end of the crankshaft - will post up photos when I have worked out what I need to do.

Just wondering what is usually done when this happens? I am a complete newbie with RCs, I am guessing this happens when fitting the flywheels etc?

Ah, looks like there is a shim kit Ofna make which have the crankshaft extenders:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-trucks/ofna-1-8-clutch-bells-shim-kit-ofn10099/p5428

Edited by m1tch_87

Ofna clutch shim kit no OFN 10410 has retaining washers that have a 5mm spigot on them to accommodate this problem, if the spigot is not quite long enough then put some of the 5mm shims that come with the kit on first put enough shims on so that when the retaining screw is tightened up there is just the slightest hint of end float.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xofn10410.TRS0&_nkw=ofn10410&_sacat=0

Thanks for that, I will get a shim kit - I thought that this problem might  be more common due to the fact that clutch bell/engine combos are different (hence the shim kits).

I will take the whole thing apart again and work on it - might see if I can remove slightly more of the collet as there is still a slight gap between the back of the flywheel and engine.

I have ordered a shim kit as well as another threaded clutch bell, this time a genuine HPI one - I have taken the whole thing apart again and even without the collet the end of the crankshaft isn't long enough eg its still recessed, fits the single speed gear fine - hopefully its just an incorrect clutch bell setup and the new one works correctly.