• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Greases & lubes etc to use?

barbusg60

Hi all,

Can you please advise on the greases and lubes I should be using to maintain my cars?

I dont have a clue at the moment and need to get some asap.

It would be for a Rustler & Firestorm and maybe a Maverick Scout in the near future.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

I use a touch of Molybdenum grease on hinge pins, etc.

Oils - shocks - depend on model, O-ring type, weight, terrain, springs, etc ... routinely I use Team Associated silicon shock oil - may not be compatible with some O-rings.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Most people keep a stock of different grade shock oils like 30, 35, 40 and 45 etc and also some grease for the gears. As for diffs it depends on if they are sealed (you use diff oils) or if not sealed just get some grease.

I use pushbike gears graphite grease on metal gears. £3 ish for 65ml instead of £3 for 3ml hpi grease lol. That's my go to grease. 

I would like marine grease for diffs and axial axles ect. 

Team associated Green slime for shock seals. Helps to stop leaking shocks. 

Loctite super glue is one of the best glues I've used. It held a revo arm together for months til I put new arms on. 

Shoo goo is a very good addition to the liquids box you'll soon find a ton of uses for it. 

Blue threadlock ofcourse you can get a no name bottle cheaper than loctite it's just as good. The ammount of screws I've stripped Bcos of it shows that. Called A43 Threadlock.  Again 10x cheaper than loctite.  

Wd40 for after run care. 

Hpi CA glue is the best tire glue imo. I have my reasons mainly a cheap one turned my tires yellow and super glue doesn't hold tires on. 

Nitro rc it's good to have some high temp instant gasket maker for 1.1 cars. Or there's a copper version I've seen which looks good. 

Ofcourse wd40 can't live without that stuff. 

Thermal paste seems to be cropping up alot lately.  People are using it to properley seat motor heat sinks. Seems like a good idea but I've never seen it done before this year.  Now I'm seeing tons of people doing it.  

I use a dab of lithium grease on bearings and metal gears, or Halfords own brand multi-purpose grease if it's close to hand. I also used them in my Firestorm diff, no issues at all. For shock/diff oil I go with Fastrax now, cheap and does the job. Vitalbond CA glue for tyres, never had one pull away from the rim yet.

I don't use WD40 generally anymore. It leaves an oily residue, can get smelly, and can even start to dissolve plastics. GT85 is better and leaves a Teflon coating.

However, WD40 is useful for cleaning metal parts and taking off surface rust. Just don't spray willy nilly all over.

3 hours ago, Deadleg Roberts said:

I don't use WD40 generally anymore. It leaves an oily residue, can get smelly, and can even start to dissolve plastics. GT85 is better and leaves a Teflon coating.

However, WD40 is useful for cleaning metal parts and taking off surface rust. Just don't spray willy nilly all over.

That GT-85 is great stuff. Used it in work on autoset machinery in v. dusty dirty environment. The c**p flies off and leaves a coating that doesn't attract dirt that much. Anything Teflon based is a winner :) 

Silicon type spray also cleans well but is a dirt magnet :( 

Edited by dazp1976