• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

1 hour ago, xxCarlxx said:

Haha, maybe punch 4 then, id like to try it though. GDS are regarded as high quality so im surprised its a chinese company. I just need to know what mod1 gear company to use where parts are available in the UK 

Recently i have ordered this M1.5 cant wait to try it out 🙂 And my bad, confused GDS with GPM..... Yea GDS is US based company, GPM are Chinese,  but both are solid.

image.thumb.png.1520ce3f94de55af0d60b46a118a4a6b.png 

8 hours ago, xxCarlxx said:

Have you seen the Max 6 G2? its as powerful as the Max 5 but in the size of the old Max 6 V3. 

With the max 6, what would you say is the best Mod 1 gears (ratio and make) to go for? And what Punch are you ising on your Max 6, id love to go Punch 5 but i hear it strips gears. 

Im from Sandwell and i find it difficult to find the gears online as they are all american based, i found some GDS gears on ebay but most of them are chinese sellers which surely means its all counterfeit? I thought GDS was american so why would chinese be selling it, if you know what i mean. 

Any help appreciated, mate. 

Ive no experience with the new Max 6, but Im sure itll be an upgrade. Ive got 3 of Hobbywings new V3 Max 10 ESCs and theyre great.

I run the lowest punch setting (1) possible because I hate wheelies, I have an NB4 radio so Ive got a custom throttle curve so its still punchy but doesnt wheelie much. 

I run 21/46 in the winter and 19/46 in the summer. I run GDS pinions and spurs, but I just order them from where ever. I think I got them from China. Just dont order from there until their New Year is over. Hope this helps

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Ive no experience with the new Max 6, but Im sure itll be an upgrade. Ive got 3 of Hobbywings new V3 Max 10 ESCs and theyre great.

I run the lowest punch setting (1) possible because I hate wheelies, I have an NB4 radio so Ive got a custom throttle curve so its still punchy but doesnt wheelie much. 

I run 21/46 in the winter and 19/46 in the summer. I run GDS pinions and spurs, but I just order them from where ever. I think I got them from China. Just dont order from there until their New Year is over. Hope this helps

Thats awesome. thank you for that, 

4 hours ago, Tadas said:

Recently i have ordered this M1.5 cant wait to try it out 🙂 And my bad, confused GDS with GPM..... Yea GDS is US based company, GPM are Chinese,  but both are solid.

image.thumb.png.1520ce3f94de55af0d60b46a118a4a6b.png 

looks beefy! wish i could use that. All the GDS i see is chinese which worries me as i guess its counterfeit 

11 hours ago, xxCarlxx said:

looks beefy! wish i could use that. All the GDS i see is chinese which worries me as i guess its counterfeit 

I personally think its all made in the same factory and rebranded anyway……

There is this option in the UK too

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/traxxas-spur-gear-50-tooth-machined-hardened-steel-wide-face-gear-20-t-pinion-10-metric-pitch-fits-5mm-shaft-set-screw-1348695

Edited by Kpowell911

2 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I personally think its all made in the same factory and rebranded anyway……

There is this option in the UK too

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/traxxas-spur-gear-50-tooth-machined-hardened-steel-wide-face-gear-20-t-pinion-10-metric-pitch-fits-5mm-shaft-set-screw-1348695

Yeah looks bit too expensive and its traxxas, they fail at gears.

I got GDS M1 Spur and Colins Racing pinion. Ill be going 20/46 as i know someone who runs it without any issues.

Next month ill get some more colins pinions, id like to swap between 18/54 and 20/46

Thanks again 

Edited by xxCarlxx

1 hour ago, xxCarlxx said:

Yeah looks bit too expensive and its traxxas, they fail at gears.

I got GDS M1 Spur and Colins Racing pinion. Ill be going 20/46 as i know someone who runs it without any issues.

Next month ill get some more colins pinions, id like to swap between 18/54 and 20/46

Thanks again 

Make sure your gear mesh is tight! Too loose gears break fast.

21 hours ago, xxCarlxx said:

Yeah ill start with the paper method. 

Ive never had an issue with the pin method on 5x X Maxxs and 1X XRT. I genuinely really like the stock motor set up. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Ive never had an issue with the pin method on 5x X Maxxs and 1X XRT. I genuinely really like the stock motor set up. 

Same here until recently.... Now i scraped the pins and actually get better results - runs with significantly less noise and no broken gears so far.

On 05/01/2024 at 18:42, Kpowell911 said:

Ta, ive not yet figured how that actually works. some spurs say don't use the pins though i don't know why. i will give it a try if spur instructions don't warn against it. 

PS. why 5 xmaxx's?

Edited by xxCarlxx

50 minutes ago, xxCarlxx said:

Ta, ive not yet figured how that actually works. some spurs say don't use the pins though i don't know why. i will give it a try if spur instructions don't warn against it. 

PS. why 5 xmaxx's?

I bought a new 6S one (#1)  when they originally came out. Then I bought a brand new 8S (#2) when that was released. I then found a cheap bargain used 8S one (#3). I kept them both, then sold them both as briefly got into 1/5th Scale Petrol. I then bought another used mint condition one (#4) and spent a fortune  on it with a big motor etc. I had to sell that along with all my RCs when I got divorced in 2019. Then in 2021 I decided to get back into the hobby and got Xmaxx (#5). Im 2022 I picked up the newly released XRT 🙂

• Thanks 1

Heres some pics:

#1 Original 6S Edition

lvxJmHZ.jpg

#2 is the First 8S X Maxx

voTPwCX.jpg

#3 The cheap second hand one with an unbreakable bodyshell

e7eZam7.jpg

#4, highly modified - too powerful really:

uXdSoaz.jpeg

2BBeWWQ.jpg

#5 My Current one with WideMaxx kit

cFGu5YZ.jpeg

The XRT:

whjYlp6.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Heres some pics:

#1 Original 6S Edition

lvxJmHZ.jpg

#2 is the First 8S X Maxx

voTPwCX.jpg

#3 The cheap second hand one with an unbreakable bodyshell

e7eZam7.jpg

#4, highly modified - too powerful really:

uXdSoaz.jpeg

2BBeWWQ.jpg

#5 My Current one with WideMaxx kit

cFGu5YZ.jpeg

The XRT:

whjYlp6.jpeg

Nice cars (except the cheap one)

#5 looks amazing, you've almost sold the widemax kit to me lol it looks stock in width

Is your suspension taller than normal?

2 minutes ago, xxCarlxx said:

Nice cars (except the cheap one)

#5 looks amazing, you've almost sold the widemax kit to me lol it looks stock in width

Is your suspension taller than normal?

The cheap one was brilliant just had a Russian Unbreakable shell which Id recommend. Saves you trashing a £100 shell every run.

#5 my current one just looks amazing to me. Shocks are standard, but it has the WideMaxx kit BUT! The wheels on it arent as wide as the stock wheels, so its not super wide. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

The cheap one was brilliant just had a Russian Unbreakable shell which Id recommend. Saves you trashing a £100 shell every run.

#5 my current one just looks amazing to me. Shocks are standard, but it has the WideMaxx kit BUT! The wheels on it arent as wide as the stock wheels, so its not super wide. 

Are there any negatives to widemax? is the steering affected negatively? i imagine id need to sort the servo and get a stronger one. Is that shell unbreakable? really nice

11 hours ago, xxCarlxx said:

Are there any negatives to widemax? is the steering affected negatively? i imagine id need to sort the servo and get a stronger one. Is that shell unbreakable? really nice

Yes theyre are negatives. Steering is worse and as you said you ideally need a better servo. I run Dmond 60kg ones in both my Xmaxx & XRT. You dont need the Wide Kit, and to be honest its expensive for what it is.

Those shells are from Russia, so obviously difficult to get hold of now since the war. They’re basically made out of a wheelie bin. Checkthe Youtube Videos

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Yes theyre are negatives. Steering is worse and as you said you ideally need a better servo. I run Dmond 60kg ones in both my Xmaxx & XRT. You dont need the Wide Kit, and to be honest its expensive for what it is.

Those shells are from Russia, so obviously difficult to get hold of now since the war. They’re basically made out of a wheelie bin. Checkthe Youtube Videos

Yeah ill just stick to my max 6 G2, and ill do the servo when the inevitable eventually happens.

haha wheelie bin made me laugh ill check it out 

Also spoke to fastrax, they say their stuff is Robinson Racing quality.... ill know for sure soon.

4 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

@Kpowell911.. are the widemaxx arms the same as the XRT in length.??

Yes, but the Wide Kit came first. I wonder how Traxxas planned this. Did they make the WideKit and think hmm, lets make an LCG XMaxx or was the XRT the plan all along?

Edited by Kpowell911