• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

2 hours ago, martin34 said:

I am really not impressed with the stock x maxx hubs.They have so much play in them you can wiggle the bearings about and they just fall out of the hubs.The rears were really bad so switched to the rpm rears and now virtually no play at all.I have heard the rpm front hubs aren't very good.Does anyone have any experience with them?

Newer had any issue with stock hubs replaced only for bigger bearings. Running rear RPMs and front Traxxas 7737X (front RPM hubs have a tendency to bend and you end up loosing pins). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tadas said:

Newer had any issue with stock hubs replaced only for bigger bearings. Running rear RPMs and front Traxxas 7737X (front RPM hubs have a tendency to bend and you end up loosing pins). 

I must have got a dodgy batch of hubs.I have  never had any rc car with that much play in the hub.

Finally got to run the x maxx today after buying it for myself for Christmas.Got to say I was impressed.Obviously no way as stable as my old outcast 8s but that was all part of the fun.Stock gearing on 8s is fine for me but I will fit a max 6 in the future and I have gds spur and pinion here if the stock gears strip.I also have the m2c wide kit here and the m2c 24mm hexes are on order so I can run either 8s backflips or copperhead 2's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, due to waiting for a few weeks/months now, i feel like i'm kind of over the XRT, which is a small problem because now i have money that burns a hole in my pocket. 

Feel like it's time to do a little bit to my (mostly) stock X-Maxx. I do love it the way it is, i just wish it had a tinsy bit more oomph, that's where we're going now. I don't want to go super stupid with it, though.

The two options are, MMX8s with their 1100kv motor, even though the MMX8s isn't rated for that motor, apparently some people run it with no problem. Or, more preferably, HW 1100kv motor with the Max6 that's already in the truck. Now.. I've never felt any "want" for the X-Maxx, was happy as it were stock with the Max6, so i never really looked into gearing, heat, combos etc. 

What do you guys run? I don't fancy a Max5 (mounting position, weight as well as the fact that there's a Max6 already in it), nor an XLX2. Really, i'm just looking for a motor for either the MMX8s, or the Max6, that gives me some more power. Maybe like 20%-25% more "oomph". 

What are the opinions on motor mounts - WFO, or Bowhouse (or something else entirely)? What have you geared, and do you use/require for cooling the motor? The wheels will stay stock (apart from the occasional run on paddles in sand), and i do need to read into the Widemaxx kit, whether or not that would be a fun thing to have. It may be time to change the unbreakable body too, getting a bit stale to look at. 

Any opinions of the oldies here?

4 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, due to waiting for a few weeks/months now, i feel like i'm kind of over the XRT, which is a small problem because now i have money that burns a hole in my pocket. 

Feel like it's time to do a little bit to my (mostly) stock X-Maxx. I do love it the way it is, i just wish it had a tinsy bit more oomph, that's where we're going now. I don't want to go super stupid with it, though.

The two options are, MMX8s with their 1100kv motor, even though the MMX8s isn't rated for that motor, apparently some people run it with no problem. Or, more preferably, HW 1100kv motor with the Max6 that's already in the truck. Now.. I've never felt any "want" for the X-Maxx, was happy as it were stock with the Max6, so i never really looked into gearing, heat, combos etc. 

What do you guys run? I don't fancy a Max5 (mounting position, weight as well as the fact that there's a Max6 already in it), nor an XLX2. Really, i'm just looking for a motor for either the MMX8s, or the Max6, that gives me some more power. Maybe like 20%-25% more "oomph". 

What are the opinions on motor mounts - WFO, or Bowhouse (or something else entirely)? What have you geared, and do you use/require for cooling the motor? The wheels will stay stock (apart from the occasional run on paddles in sand), and i do need to read into the Widemaxx kit, whether or not that would be a fun thing to have. It may be time to change the unbreakable body too, getting a bit stale to look at. 

I think some one wrote with regret about upgrading stock motor - now he's rolling back to stock, since with more power car became uncontrollable. My self - im prepping for summer and have my eye on this cooling solution: https://thunderoos.se/catalog.pdf 

4 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

My Max 6 lasted minutes with a 5687 1100kv last time, theyre not built for it in an X Maxx. You might get away with it in a Kraton 6s.

Youre going through the dilemma I went through recently. I broke my stock motor, and weighed up all the options. Bare in mind Ive previously done this twice. I had an X Maxx with a Max 6 and 5687 1100kv motor, which the esc lasted minutes. I was geared 20/35 for this, so on the low end. I then went with a Max 5 with a Rocket 780kv motor, geared 25/30 and had 30/35 too. No need for fans as lipo’s only lasted minutes haha. This just made my X Maxx heavy, and too powerful. But, in the real world it wasnt much faster as it just wheelied so I had to turn all the power down on my Futaba radio. It took the fun out of the truck and ruined what I like about the X Maxx. At the time I had a pair of DBXL’s and they just felt a bit dull, due to their weight. Spending all this on my X Maxx just mde it feel heavy and cumbersome.

Youre going to need a new ESC, Motor, Motor Mount, Gearing at a minimum. This is going to be £500 if not more. Then you’ll need more lipo’s, as they get eaten. Its pointless for me. I did feel the other day it’d be nice to do it in my XRT as I think that’ll handle big power better, but its not worth the expense IMO

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Thanks 1

Boy i don't wanna go down the Max5 route.. I can see what you mean, i did indeed see/read prior to this post that people had trouble with the Max6 + 5687, just thought i could get away with it. It's not even about the price, it's just that it's "too much" and the X-Maxx really isn't that "X-Maxxy" after that anymore, gotta think about that route for a hot minute. Yours does look at least tidy, although did you run the 5687 without fans? 

From behind that looks like the WFO mount, right? I mean they all look similar i guess. 

It's 100% not getting 800kv/730kv motor, nor a belt drive. I'd like to do/have a "stage 1" build, you should understand what i mean. Light modifications, little bit more power. Not some kind of 13.7l big block swap (with twin 90mm turbskies). There's gotta be a way to get some more out of the truck without ruining it. 

Price isn't really an issue, i didn't make the decision and then thought "how to do it for less than £200". I'd like to keep it below £1000 for certain, but apart from that, anything goes. The issue is that wherever i say "$1000 budget", people instantly go "800kv belt drive all metal yolo", which is exactly what i don't want. There's not gonna be metal parts (apart from the motor and servo mount, maybe some steering related stuff like bell crank to compensate for stronger servo), i don't want a 1.3kg motor, i don't want to run belted tyres. 

Maybe, for poops and giggles, i'll try throwing the 1717-1650 in there. I've seen someone do it running 25/50, should be possible to gear it lower and run it safely. Doesn't need Mod1.5 then, either. There's enough telemetry to figure out whether or not it's a long time solution, only issue of course being that i'd need a WFO mini mount (or similar), which is quite the outlay that i can't use on anything else if this doesn't work out (since big cans don't fit, and the 1717 doesn't fit the standard WFO mount). 

Hell, genuinely, if i could run it 22/50 safely on whatever is in there, i'd probably do that - but i'm not quite sure it fits, and i'm also not quite sure the Max6 (nor the motor) would take it. I'm not even 100% sure what i'm currently running, whether or not that was 18/50, 20/50, 18/46 or 20/46. Probably should figure that out first lol, just now realised. I remember that it's GDS spur and Tekno pinion, but that's about it. Basically the idea might be to use the 1717, gear down to teeth from wherever i am now, and see where it goes. 

It's currently running around 43ish mph top speed, i'd like to get this up to around 50ish to 55ish mph, so around 20% more. Without increasing the weight substantially (i'm fine with a few pounds of course, but not with 3lbs already for the motor alone) or messing with the CG too much. 

Back to the drawing board. 😞

edit: 18/50 i'm running. The 1650 should be able to take that, or i'll gear down to maybe 18/54 if it fits. 

Edited by m4inbrain

3 hours ago, Tadas said:

I think some one wrote with regret about upgrading stock motor - now he's rolling back to stock, since with more power car became uncontrollable. My self - im prepping for summer and have my eye on this cooling solution: https://thunderoos.se/catalog.pdf 

Seen them before, they're too loud for my liking. Don't feel like listening to a turboprop start up every time i wanna take the X out lol. Certainly does some heavy lifting in regards to cooling, but it's just impractical for me and where i run. 

I enjoyed building my ‘big motor’ X Maxx’s, but I just think they’re a social media truck. Join a facebook group and you’ll see loads of big motor’d builds that cost a fortune, look really impressive, but you never see them dirty or being used. I use mine as much as I can, Im not made of money and a Max 5 combo and the Vitavon parts were nudging £600, and having experienced it twice, its just not value for money IMO. It doesn’t drastically improve the truck, certainly not enough to warrant the big bucks.

Its a curse having to change the motor mount, shame theres no drop in motors that work with the stock mount to save some money but hey. 

I know its not rated for it, but the absolutely best option in  my opinion is the old 6s 1600XL motor with a Max 6 and 8s. I should never have sold my 6s Xmaxx motor and they’re impossible to find now. Id also guess they dont last forever 

Edited by Kpowell911

Just now, Kpowell911 said:

To my knowledge it’s identical size as the stock 8S motor?

It's 48/110, not quite sure about the stock 8s motor. But that at least gives me a starting point to do some research, maybe surpass hobby etc make something that size around 1500-1600kv. The motor weighs/weighed 680g, which is much more reasonable than the 1.3kg for 800kv setups. 

As i said, i don't care for the bling builds, i just want it to be reasonably faster. It's not going to be another EXB build where i can't touch the throttle at 70mph. 

The 1717/1650 is 46/85, not entirely certain whether or not that'd be a good match. Tending to rather.. nah. 

1 minute ago, m4inbrain said:

It's 48/110, not quite sure about the stock 8s motor. But that at least gives me a starting point to do some research, maybe surpass hobby etc make something that size around 1500-1600kv. The motor weighs/weighed 680g, which is much more reasonable than the 1.3kg for 800kv setups. 

As i said, i don't care for the bling builds, i just want it to be reasonably faster. It's not going to be another EXB build where i can't touch the throttle at 70mph. 

The 1717/1650 is 46/85, not entirely certain whether or not that'd be a good match. Tending to rather.. nah. 

Its more how it mounts. The stock motor mounts at the front and rear. After market ones require a new mount =/

1 minute ago, Kpowell911 said:

Its more how it mounts. The stock motor mounts at the front and rear. After market ones require a new mount =/

Yeah i did come to grips with that, there really isn't just a drop in replacement, whatever i wanna do, it'll require a new mount. 

Surpass Hobby seems to be a miss, they do a 4585, which is basically the same as the 1717, then straight to 5692 or 56112, which are 1300g as well - might as well go for the HW 1100kv in that case. I'll have some more looksies, maybe Leopard/TP Power does something that suits my needs, otherwise, hm.. Maybe i do go for them turbo-scramjet fans and gear it up (i'm sitting at 18/50, so there's a bit of air left for maybe 20/46 with appropriate cooling). 

Man.. It's an oddball, you can't really go balls to the wall with 1/5th power systems, but the average 1/8th system doesn't do it either. It's smack bang somewhere in between, kinda sucks.

5 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Man.. It's an oddball, you can't really go balls to the wall with 1/5th power systems, but the average 1/8th system doesn't do it either. It's smack bang somewhere in between, kinda sucks.

Which is exactly what I mean.  Traxxas absolutely nailed it (when you get a Max 6 at least) with the stock set up and you dont need to mess with it. Check your gearing, you may be able to gear up slightly and that be suffice. 

Upgrading the servo is the best mod you can do if you haven’t already

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Which is exactly what I mean.  Traxxas absolutely nailed it (when you get a Max 6 at least) with the stock set up and you dont need to mess with it. Check your gearing, you may be able to gear up slightly and that be suffice. 

Upgrading the servo is the best mod you can do if you haven’t already

Well the issue is that the stock setup with a Max6 doesn't quite  do me, albeit with the notion that i could try gearing it 20/46 (and prolly blow it up in the process) to see if i get to the point where i'm happy again. 

Haven't done the servo yet, because i'll be honest, i really haven't had an issue with the stock one yet. I don't really need a faster one, nor do i particularly need a stronger one - it'll only lead to more traction rolling for me. If i do it, it's more about "having it done" rather than an actual need. 

Widemaxx. What's the general consensus? Both TRX Widemaxx as well as M2C, WFO and whoever offers it?

Hm, did find a 1600XL in stock, 240 euros delivered (plus whatever customs and whatnot) - i'm just not 100% certain that i want to run a motor out of spec. I do want more oomph, but not really if it ends up burning the entire shed down. 

7 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Hm, did find a 1600XL in stock, 240 euros delivered (plus whatever customs and whatnot) - i'm just not 100% certain that i want to run a motor out of spec. I do want more oomph, but not really if it ends up burning the entire shed down. 

I think I sold mine for £60 💀💀💀💀

10 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Well the issue is that the stock setup with a Max6 doesn't quite  do me, albeit with the notion that i could try gearing it 20/46 (and prolly blow it up in the process) to see if i get to the point where i'm happy again. 

Haven't done the servo yet, because i'll be honest, i really haven't had an issue with the stock one yet. I don't really need a faster one, nor do i particularly need a stronger one - it'll only lead to more traction rolling for me. If i do it, it's more about "having it done" rather than an actual need. 

Widemaxx. What's the general consensus? Both TRX Widemaxx as well as M2C, WFO and whoever offers it?

I got Traxxas Widemaxx because it was avaliable. Thats all. I just felt the biggest truck in its class should be the biggest it could be. I never felt the X Maxx needed it, but I wanted it. Its a lot of money for what it is, and it ruins the steering circle. 

I found the stock servo far too slow and it was imperitive for me to upgrade. If youre happy with it then theres no need to change it I guess

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, martin34 said:

There's a video on YouTube where a guy fits a 1650 using the stock motor mounts.

Huh, gotta give that a search, curious. If that works and i can try it without investing money first, i'll be doing that today. 

25 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I think I sold mine for £60 💀💀💀💀

Well i mean, that's kinda your fault. That motor was always worth more than that. The 1200XL at modelsport is £240, so £211 (before importstuff) for the 1600XL isn't actually toooooo bad. But again.. 6s motor running 8s is a recipe for disaster - my neighbour did that with his baja rey clone and it was horrendous. 

25 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I got Traxxas Widemaxx because it was avaliable. Thats all. I just felt the biggest truck in its class should be the biggest it could be. I never felt the X Maxx needed it, but I wanted it. Its a lot of money for what it is, and it ruins the steering circle. 

I found the stock servo far too slow and it was imperitive for me to upgrade. If youre happy with it then theres no need to change it I guess

It is a bit of money, but on the upside i still have the bone stock arms (not HD), so i do get some practical stuff out of it. I assume that if i go for that, i'll go for a servo too. 

So far it looks like i'll be googling my head off trying to find the stock motor mount mounted 1650 to potentially give that a shot, after that i'll look around for 19/46 to 20/46 hardened steel and maybe another cooling solution for the motor. Without having to run towering scramjets on top of it. I can't even remember, are there upgraded fans available for the stock shroud? 

Haven't found it yet, did see another few videos with the 1717/1650 though, not quite sure that's the route i should be taking. The motor just seems a little on the dinky side for an X-Maxx sized (and weighed) rig. 

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

Haven't found it yet, did see another few videos with the 1717/1650 though, not quite sure that's the route i should be taking. The motor just seems a little on the dinky side for an X-Maxx sized (and weighed) rig. 

Maybe that is the one I sore.I will have a look when I get home.