• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. 

Anyone got an idea what the problem is here? Switched batteries after a run (ESC was at 54 degrees C), tried turning it on, turned itself off immediately - and now when i try to turn it on, it just gives me three red solid LEDs?

Got it on video, too.

(still processing at the time of posting)

Was/is a fresh pack, the left red LED is thermal shutoff, middle is stage two thermal and right one is low voltage i think. Something or other. Manual says with three red LEDs, it's a "critical ESC error", and to contact traxxas. 

I waited for two hours now to have it cool down, still does it. Button doesn't work either when i turn it on, have to turn it off by pulling the plug. Servo still works, but that's all. Sadness noises.

edit: is the Max6 a drop in replacement with the stock motor? 

Edited by m4inbrain

Just now, m4inbrain said:

Was/is a fresh pack, the left red LED is thermal shutoff, middle is stage two thermal and right one is low voltage i think. Something or other. Manual says with three red LEDs, it's a "critical ESC error", and to contact traxxas. 

I waited for two hours now to have it cool down, still does it. Button doesn't work either when i turn it on, have to turn it off by pulling the plug. Servo still works, but that's all. Sadness noises.

Max 6 it is then 

Just now, mydoddy69 said:

Max 6 it is then 

Yeah, kinda set my mind to it already. Just wondering if it's a drop in replacement with the stock motor, and if it'll hold 18/50 without problem?

Just now, m4inbrain said:

Yeah, kinda set my mind to it already. Just wondering if it's a drop in replacement with the stock motor, and if it'll hold 18/50 without problem?

Yep easy install and should be fine on the gearing as well 👍

• Like 1

Cheers, Max6 it is then. Was contemplating Max5/MMX8s, but honestly.. Don't want to spend £200-£250 and cut the truck up. 

Blergh.. I mean i knew it was gonna happen eventually, but i was hoping it'll last longer than a single run on 18/50. 

5 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, Max6 ordered. Here's hoping that it'll do the trick. Should be here wednesday or something, in time to enjoy the last few nice days.

It will be one of the best improvements you’ve ever made to an RC Car honestly.  Just dremel out the cross brace and it fits in stock location too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guns said:

It will be one of the best improvements you’ve ever made to an RC Car honestly.  Just dremel out the cross brace and it fits in stock location too

Is the VXL8s that bad then?

It didn't strike me particularly awful. Apart from it lasting barely two running hours. And the telemetry stuff on the phone was actually quite handy. 

In regards to the cross brace, i dremeled off the "cable holder" part there (that held the original ESC power cable). From what i've seen, that's enough, or does it need to go entirely?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Max6 fitted, loving it. Honestly, i'm at the age where Max6 + 18/50 is simply fast enough, it runs perfect now (for me). 

I'm not sure if it's the unbreakable shell, but what are you guys doing to prevent it flying off constantly on cartwheels etc? It's slightly annoying. 

3 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, Max6 fitted, loving it. Honestly, i'm at the age where Max6 + 18/50 is simply fast enough, it runs perfect now (for me). 

I'm not sure if it's the unbreakable shell, but what are you guys doing to prevent it flying off constantly on cartwheels etc? It's slightly annoying. 

If you find the answer your make a fortune 😂😂

I use a Bungie cord under the shell attached to the cage then under the chassis works quite well others have tried Velcro 

6 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

If you find the answer your make a fortune 😂😂

I use a Bungie cord under the shell attached to the cage then under the chassis works quite well others have tried Velcro 

Cheers, lol okay, so it's not just me then. 

Hm. Don't really wanna do velcro etc, i actually love how convenient the shell comes off and on. I just don't like how inconvenient the shell comes off and on. When driving. I've got to look into that, i also ejected a battery yesterday so i will do SOME sort of velcro, maybe something for the shell too. But, good to know that there's no "pre-sorted" solutions. Cheers.

Well after talking about it, someone on FB potentially came up with a solution lol. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.ca65c0cc4896b2f85090c21ba9b0ba65.PNG

It's in "the prototype stage", but i'm glad that there's people even madder than me about that issue, lol.

Loving the X-Maxx life so far, not so happy with the stock servo though. Wheels are flopping around a bit too much in corners etc, so that's next. I assume people run the 2085x, which has somewhat mixed reviews (especially if you run badlands)? Alternatives?

Also, this?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rpm-oversized-rear-axle-carriers-for-traxxas-x-maxx/rc-car-products/405325

I assume is a "must have"? 

7 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Well after talking about it, someone on FB potentially came up with a solution lol. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.ca65c0cc4896b2f85090c21ba9b0ba65.PNG

It's in "the prototype stage", but i'm glad that there's people even madder than me about that issue, lol.

Loving the X-Maxx life so far, not so happy with the stock servo though. Wheels are flopping around a bit too much in corners etc, so that's next. I assume people run the 2085x, which has somewhat mixed reviews (especially if you run badlands)? Alternatives?

Also, this?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rpm-oversized-rear-axle-carriers-for-traxxas-x-maxx/rc-car-products/405325

I assume is a "must have"? 

I hate that quote there’s no such thing as a must have don’t get sucked into that game or your soon have very deep empty pockets ! 

I’d stay away from badlands and the likes too heavy for off road use and cause why to many other issues, if on the other hand your one of those that use an off road basher to run on the street then crack on 😂👍

servo you got 2 upgrade choices either the 2085x which I’ve had for 2 years no problems or the 1/8th servo Mount and choice of what you want my lad still runs the stock servo with no issues other than a spring change it’s been great. These are bashers so a bit if slop is quite normal you don’t want it tight like on a road car that slop adds a bit of give on a bad landing etc 👍

3 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

I hate that quote there’s no such thing as a must have don’t get sucked into that game or your soon have very deep empty pockets ! 

I’d stay away from badlands and the likes too heavy for off road use and cause why to many other issues, if on the other hand your one of those that use an off road basher to run on the street then crack on 😂👍

servo you got 2 upgrade choices either the 2085x which I’ve had for 2 years no problems or the 1/8th servo Mount and choice of what you want my lad still runs the stock servo with no issues other than a spring change it’s been great. These are bashers so a bit if slop is quite normal you don’t want it tight like on a road car that slop adds a bit of give on a bad landing etc 👍

That's why i had it in quotes. ;)

Funny enough, i do enjoy spending on things including upgrades - but recently i was sitting there wondering what to get for the X-Maxx, and i can't really think of anything. The speed is good (for me), i have zero qualms with the stock tyres (mainly because max6 and 18/50 is perfect speed for me, so ballooning isn't an issue) - i got an unbreakable body (decaled), i got the Max6, servo, i mean.. Yeah. I see where you come from, it really isn't necessary. Arms etc i'll do if they break. 

Really only leaves the oversized bearings/carriers, and something to stop whatever is squeaking on the truck (not sure if it's bearings or dog bones). I don't want to turn it into a metal monster like i've seen on facebook (it looks imho crap and is probably not really much tougher), i just want the usual suspects eliminated (one was the ESC, the other are the bearings apparently, and then..?). 

Also, exclusively off road lol. 

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Yes to bigger bearings, Traxxas have a habit of under-sizing bearings. 

That's what i heard.

Other than that, realistically, it doesn't really need anything. It's just me itching to throw money at it. I'll probably end up getting one of them blooming decal kits for the chassis, just to have something done. 🙄