• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Well I've stuck a standard Spektrum receiver in it and the ESC calibrated ok, so that's just saved me £40 lol. 

I flattened a new grub screw for the pinion and thread locked that in place so hopefully it won't come loose costing me another spur/pinion. I've tried looking through this thread for info but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Just got to fix the body where the screws pulled through (amazed me how quickly and easily that happened) and she'll be good to go. Fitted a nice Savox as well so fingers crossed I might have some decent steering :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharkfat78 said:

Well I've stuck a standard Spektrum receiver in it and the ESC calibrated ok, so that's just saved me £40 lol. 

I flattened a new grub screw for the pinion and thread locked that in place so hopefully it won't come loose costing me another spur/pinion. I've tried looking through this thread for info but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Just got to fix the body where the screws pulled through (amazed me how quickly and easily that happened) and she'll be good to go. Fitted a nice Savox as well so fingers crossed I might have some decent steering :D 

I swear by the gds pinions and spurs of eBay it’s what most of us use to be fair as the traxxas ones are pot cast but I’ve heard guys have better luck with them if they ditch the pin system and go the old school route and mesh by feel 

• Like 1

I'll have a look at those spurs/pinions, cheers! 👍 A mate of mine must have done 3 sets at Bashfest and it was driving him nuts. In the meantime I'll remove the pins and mesh it by eye. I've never been too bad at setting gear mesh. It's the driving I blow at haha.

Are these the ones?

bhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GDS-Racing-Hardened-Steel-1-Mod-Spur-Gear-46T-50T-54T-for-1-5-RC-Traxxas-XMAXX/312559733542?hash=item48c6030b26:m:mamlGe2wzEQv92v2hC5Yhow

Edit: And if anyone could recommend a decent seller please that'd be awesomesauce! 

Edited by Sharkfat78

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Sharkfat78 said:

If it’s any use I use the cheaper ones no idea what makes the a pro version 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Hey hey everyone. 

Not been on here in ages! Sharkfat mate. Saw at bashfest that u had an xmaxx... did not bring mine but will next year now there is a ramp. 

Last year I also stripped my stock gears, well, the 46t spur and stock pinion I was running. Since then I have just used the original v1 spur gear ( plastic) I had laying about from my 1st Xmaxx. After market std cheap pinion and it’s been absolutely fine. Quiet too and those spurs are really cheap anyway if it does strip out. 

Im running a 50t spur. 

Might b worth a go. Personally I don’t like the racket a metal spur/ pin mesh makes anyway and potential to save the drive train too if it’s plastic. 

I ditched the pin traxxas mesh setting method too. Just take the pins out and set it yourself. I felt the mesh was too loose, others say too tight. Just set it yourself. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very slowly getting around to maybe getting an X-Maxx. In fact, by now, the choice is pretty much between the X-Maxx, and maybe whatever Arrma is releasing. If that's not an X-Maxx rival, it'll be the X-Maxx. Just wondering if the "new" versions of it (the bright orange/bright green) are only different shells, or did something change underneath too?

Afaik it’s just a new colour although they have made little tweaks here and there since the first v2 release like thicker shock shaft bottoms esc firmware updates and some say the tyre compound has changed again But that I think is more mythical 🤣

Speaking of tyres, are you guys sealing them? I just saw a few explode due to water ingress, wondering how to prevent that other than "not driving in the wet" which isn't really an option here?

39 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Speaking of tyres, are you guys sealing them? I just saw a few explode due to water ingress, wondering how to prevent that other than "not driving in the wet" which isn't really an option here?

No I vent mine on all four points of a compass but seal the wheel if water gets in then it can get out as well 👍. I’ve ripped my tyres a few times good quality super clue sorts that though 🤣

Ah i see, much like the TRX then, cheers.

Now, one more thing, or two. First, i'd intend to run it on the stock ESC at the beginning. What kinda batteries you guys use - and what connectors? Mainly on the stock ESC, i assume it comes with Traxxas connectors pre-installed, did you re-solder something else on the ESC, or on the battery packs?

And, as mentioned, what are some decently capable packs to use - i'm used to somewhat cheaper batteries (zippy, graphenes) apart from a few gensace exceptions, so i don't really have broad knowledge around "tougher" batteries, especially high capacity and voltage. 

Batteries are personal choice I’ve had great success with zippy compact 6200mah 4s the HRB are pretty good as well if you want cheap guys are using the zop lipos and seem to be pretty good both zop and HRB bead on eBay 👍

make a simple connectors 

• Like 1

On 31/10/2019 at 17:53, mydoddy69 said:

Batteries are personal choice I’ve had great success with zippy compact 6200mah 4s the HRB are pretty good as well if you want cheap guys are using the zop lipos and seem to be pretty good both zop and HRB bead on eBay 👍

make a simple connectors 

How does the link system work, actually? 

I'll probably get that Bluetooth thingie with it, does it have external sensors through the receiver, or does it receive its telemetry through the VXL ESC? Question obviously being, can i run that telemetry stuff if i change to a Max6 eventually, or would the telemetry go out of the window with the VXL? 

And what kind of sensors does it come with? I'm specifically hoping for a temp sensor, and maybe cell voltage?

Meh, gotta figure that out myself then. Not big into telemetry, but a temp sensor for ease of mind would be great, don't feel like constantly pulling body off and going at it with a temp gun. Annoyed the heck out of me with the nitro as well.

The Bluetooth module will measure, motor rpm, speed (based on rpm and gearing), ESC temperature, current and voltage. I had it on my UDR, I added one more sensor that also gave me motor temperature and BEC voltage 

0-DBAAC89-0627-43-CF-BE12-6-C0-C51-C4-DC

D7489154-C540-49-B3-A4-BE-D97-D3-D607-D1

• Like 1

That sounds good, the question would be: what would you have if you'd switched the VXL for a HW ESC. As in, is the data coming from sensors through the receiver (like most telemetry works) - or does it get data from the ESC?

9 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

If I remember right the ESC measures all the stock settings and the add on’s plug into the RX. So if you change the ESC you will lose all the Bluetooth stuff. 

Well: that makes it pointless then because eventually that's gonna happen. 

Doesn't matter much. Just finished browsing, bit miffed that no one in the UK has the X-Maxx RNR edition, not even listed - just the body shell.

trx7711t.jpg

Quite like it, not gonna lie.

Just be aware with the telemetry if you go that route.

It will almost certainly want to do a firmware update and the problem is if you get notifications on your phone during the update it can cause problems.

The update just hangs and if you restart it it tends to get so far again before hanging.

It doesn't "break" anything as such but it can make it so you cant update and then you cant use the telemetry.

If you Google it there is quite a lot about it.