• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

9 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

It's generally a strong truck. But 3 cracked wheels.. I didn't expect. Not after 4 runs. 

Exactly your expectations have not been met, as others have also found and documented.

I dont believe the glue excuse. Where do they glue apart from the tyres to the rim?

Ask them what material and grade are they using to mold the wheels.

Who knows. 

I don't want the same wheels again tbh. I def won't spend my hard earned on them!

ill b going proline i'd guess... If / when they make a setup specifically for it. 

Do the 1/5 scales break wheels easy? I don't know... Maybe they do? 5t's, bajas, rovans, km's, dbxl's?

never seen or heard it happen. Guess it does? Esp when people bash with e conversions!

I've buckled half a dozen silverback front guerilla rims on my BL 5SC, only ever cracked a couple, however, I ran them for quite some time afterwards and they didn't get any worse. Never damaged a stock, HPI star rim on our lasses 5b or damaged the silverback guerilla rears on either my SC or 5ive.

I do need to address damping and flight characteristics, clearly....

However, the issues come back to the weight, or rather, weight saving measures employed on the X.... Traxxarse have had to keep the drivetrain light, which is now showing the weak areas for the overall tumbling mass of a big rig. Which sucks, frankly.

Only practical solution is to wait for Proline to step up. Not exactly a crawlerzzzzzz is it?? ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

My standard km baja tyres blew off and ripped on the second run

hmmm...dissapointing.. KM tho right? so no offence but cheap chinese clone.... so not surprised. thats tyres tho....are the wheels cracked? (by the way i've been considering a km baja myself as a way into 1/5 so really no offence intended...just saying it like it is....think the hpi baja stockers on the flux version r meant to b poor too? can,t remember if Jang said no grip or blew apart... think no grip from what i remember)

TBH i think the wheels r just made from the wrong type of plastic...

Edited by Ocdcbr

You have to belt 1/5th tyres and foams or fit no growth foams, which aren't exactly light anyway.....I've a set of Rovan tarmac tyres which, belted, with stock, belted foams have loads of life still in them.....only cost £15 for a set of four, mounted. :lol:

$65 shipping, plus customs.....expensive new boots! 

6 minutes ago, jayfrs said:

These could be worth looking at?

http://kershawdesigns.com/X-MaxxTires.htm

when mine decided to break I will either go with the Kershaw or wait till some other aftermarket ones come out! 

yeah...seen them.. they look good mounted up, and i believe have a wider offset than stock which suits the car but personally i don't like the look of the tread... or the wheel.not for me at that price..

4 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

hmmm...dissapointing.. KM tho right? so no offence but cheap chinese clone.... so not surprised. thats tyres tho....are the wheels cracked? (by the way i've been considering a km baja myself as a way into 1/5 so really no offence intended...just saying it like it is....think the hpi baja stockers on the flux version r meant to b poor too? can,t remember if Jang said no grip or blew apart... think no grip from what i remember)

TBH i think the wheels r just made from the wrong type of plastic...

The wheels didn't get time to crack as the tyres blew off, the km though is worth the money. The problem with Xmaxx wheels is that they need to be big and light I would imagine standard 1/5 monster truck would cause drivetrain issues

a few pics i just took of my wheels. the tipex is used just to show where the cracks r..

IMG_4836_zpst66dmubk.jpg

IMG_4833_zpsabdvye4e.jpg

IMG_4832_zps94tawirs.jpg

Edited by Ocdcbr

This glue issue.  I have noticed on two of my wheels that the glue applied to the tyres is all over my rims. Well around the edges. It's not been applied very well  It does look a mess.

A matter of interest,  can you tell me are yours the same. Goes out to all x maxx owners. 

Is this there glue issue?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocdcbr said:

It's generally a strong truck. But 3 cracked wheels.. I didn't expect. Not after 4 runs. 

If traxxas don't do anything then take them to trading standards, they have acknowledged that theres a issue and if they don't help or reimburse you then your within yours rights to make a claim. If they're not going to treat their UK customers equally take it one stage higher.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alex97 said:

If traxxas don't do anything then take them to trading standards, they have acknowledged that theres a issue and if they don't help or reimburse you then your within yours rights to make a claim. If they're not going to treat their UK customers equally take it one stage higher.

If that ever does happen, the trade would die overnight. How can you get your money back when you have been jumping and crashing it? It dosnt make sense. The same with engines how can you gaurentee something when it can be wrecked by the consumer setting it up wrong. 

This is not like buying a phone or TVs, abusing the goods is part of the hobby and since when can we apply American consumer law over-here?

• Like 1

I'm nearly 100% sure I will not be buying another stock set of wheels!!!!... I hate baking off tyres from rims!... Who knows... I could b wrong. My money will b going elsewhere. 

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, here's a couple pics of my truck running knockoff 1/5 scale proline trenchers. Fronts are 75x195 rears 80x195. There's a guy on ebay selling adapters. Truck seems to handle much better at higher speeds. 067147f31df4aa489bd542fa71b2c231.jpg60ea7a3f8b33ee06d4e7d492f21471f0.jpg79de6e84efd058bba7b52a1f1f54c86c.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah I've seen your truck in action on the fb page?... I like that choice of wheel/ tyre. Looks cool. 

Just too too small for it though imo. 

Whats it it like off road? As all I saw were speed type runs. Which myself I don't do much of being a big mt. Jumping and off road actions where it's at for me. Looks like grip shouldn't b an issue! 

Is the setup in any way more cushioning than stock? For jumping?

• Like 1

I'm not on FB, but I agree at first the wheels/tires look odd, but they start to grow on you.  They are nearly the same height wise, but obviously width wise they are lacking.  The tires/foams are definitely stiffer than the factory ones, which to me is a good thing.  Seems to handle better off-road as well as on-road..  Mostly probably because they don't balloon nearly as much as the stockers do.  I'm not jumping garages or houses, but I've had no issues jumping with these wheels.

• Like 1

Doh, facepalm etc etc but are the tyres / rims like a SC with dual profile (or whatever it's called?)  - Little surprise to me then that there cracking where they are.  This would seem to have been done to reduce the rotational weight of the tyre, and thus strain on the drivetrain and just smacks of another compromise too far.  Whilst many owners change wheels (I have on my MT ) i don't believe you should be forced too by a poor design - we're not talking about a part that costs a small % of the total outlay here.

Disclaimer:

I've not owned one, won't own one and have minimal direct traxxas experience.

Yeah to me the inner side wall of the tyre is too thin... So instead of the tyre cushion hits the wheel is taking a hammering and cracking under the pressure....

myself i I like a bit of ballooning... As long as it's not too crazy. It helps with rotation in the air..

Edited by Ocdcbr