• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

6 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

How does this compare to the 2085x? 

The one in mine, is pretty poor! 

Its going to be a while till its fitted as Im waiting on parts, but on paper its just under double the power and just under twice as quick as the upgraded Traxxas Servo.

Oh and half the price

• Like 1

That's assuming claimed servo torque and speed figures are achieved in real use, but it shouldnt be worse. Dont you have to cut/remove one corner of the servo case for it to fit? Also the stock servo arm wont fit, can you use  standard type arms or is their a version like the stock one to fit this servo?

52 minutes ago, locky said:

That's assuming claimed servo torque and speed figures are achieved in real use, but it shouldnt be worse. Dont you have to cut/remove one corner of the servo case for it to fit? Also the stock servo arm wont fit, can you use  standard type arms or is their a version like the stock one to fit this servo?

Ive got an alloy adaper, alloy horn, alloy linkage, alloy bell cranks and alloy top brace on order and will do it all at once.

You do have to remove a corner of the servo tab, however on my other X Maxx's, Ive just removed some material from the chassis with a stanley blade, save damaging the servo case

Took the Xmaxx out for a quick blast today. Last run it was overheating. max6 esc was hitting thermal cutout with 46t spur and 22t pinion gearing with standard motor.

I’ve now fitted a 12v 35mm fan to the esc wired directly from the battery leads via a step down buck converter and it seems to have cured the problem! The air temperature was half that of last weekend, so not convinced just yet, but today it was awesome!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tug said:

Link not working on my phone. 😔

You mean the video I just posted? Didn’t realise it was a ‘link’? Should just be on the thread? Have I done something wrong? I mean is there a better way to post videos?

23 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

You mean the video I just posted? Didn’t realise it was a ‘link’? Should just be on the thread? Have I done something wrong? I mean is there a better way to post videos?

Maybe a mod can help?

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

Maybe a mod can help?

It’s not that exciting anyway, prob not worth the hassle 😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Time to give the X some love. 

gdk0c3L.jpg

Since the Wide Maxx kit, its became apparant that the stock steering servo needs upgrading. 

A Pro Modeler is the one I wanted, but I decided not to spend so much, so I went with a Dmond. Its low end of the budget, can be had for around £60 (Pro Modeler was around £180 all in).

Now, the internet will tell you Treal and Vitavon make the best alloy stuff for an RC. The Vitavon Servo mount for my Maxx didnt fit well, and I had issues with Treal hardware…. Soo

I went budget:

The Alloy Servo Adapter. A plastic one from Traxxas is £8, this is fully aluminium and comes WITH the alloy servo horn. This was less than a tenner posted from Ali Express…. ive paid more than that for a servo Horn…..

The Alloy Bellcranks were half the price of the next cheapest. Around £30 posted.  More on them later. 

I also added an aluminium servo link and aluminium rear gear cover, cause they were cheap, less than £20 for both. 

Also fresh set of skid plates as Id pulled a screw through the old ones. 

So, 8 screws later:

M438PMR.jpg

Such an easy truck to work on. Really well thought out. 

I was worried about getting this far and the alloy servo adapter being pants and stopping me in my tracks. 

Its perfect!

BFsVMFn.jpg

prASxQE.jpg

WMSF7K7.jpg

Instead of chopping the ears off the servo as Traxxas suggest, I notched the front bulkhead slightly with a stanley knife. 

Now Im not running any Traxxas electrics, Up goes the BEC

CIw5Yfh.jpg

Now the alloy bellcranks. These look superb for the money:

W9UvGwC.jpg

However, the centre link looks like someone milled it by using a picture of the stock one, as its too thick and as a result would have lots of play, so Im running the stock one

TVgOWlo.jpg

GbtikWn.jpg

41pIg3F.jpg

Pretty boring but Ive done this to every X Maxx Ive had

6KuABKS.jpg

ThgwLm3.jpg

Hopefully the steering will perform as well as it looks. Seemed very powerful on the floor, but didnt seem 0.10 fast, but time will tell

Does the alloy servo arm/horn that comes with the adapter fit the new servo, as one feedback said it didnt on aliexpress.

On 07/04/2022 at 21:52, Kpowell911 said:

A Pro Modeler is the one I wanted, but I decided not to spend so much, so I went with a Dmond. Its low end of the budget, can be had for around £60 (Pro Modeler was around £180 all in).

Now, the internet will tell you Treal and Vitavon make the best alloy stuff for an RC. The Vitavon Servo mount for my Maxx didnt fit well, and I had issues with Treal hardware…. Soo

I went budget:

The Alloy Servo Adapter. A plastic one from Traxxas is £8, this is fully aluminium and comes WITH the alloy servo horn. This was less than a tenner posted from Ali Express…. ive paid more than that for a servo Horn…..

The Alloy Bellcranks were half the price of the next cheapest. Around £30 posted.  More on them later. 
I also added an aluminium servo link and aluminium rear gear cover, cause they were cheap, less than £20 for both. 
Also fresh set of skid plates as Id pulled a screw through the old ones. 
I was worried about getting this far and the alloy servo adapter being pants and stopping me in my tracks. 
Its perfect!

Instead of chopping the ears off the servo as Traxxas suggest, I notched the front bulkhead slightly with a stanley knife. 
Now Im not running any Traxxas electrics, Up goes the BEC

Now the alloy bellcranks. These look superb for the money:

However, the centre link looks like someone milled it by using a picture of the stock one, as its too thick and as a result would have lots of play, so Im running the stock one

Pretty boring but Ive done this to every X Maxx Ive had

Hopefully the steering will perform as well as it looks. Seemed very powerful on the floor, but didnt seem 0.10 fast, but time will tell

So is it worth buying Dmond or should i get 2085X? Have you ever compared them? 

Metal servo holder/bellcranks/servo links/gear cover - are they necessary? Newer had any faults/brakes there. Have you tried stainless skid plates? Must say they are awesome - functions not only as bottom protection but as front/rear bumpers! 

51dWjFFGbpL._AC_.jpg

Im not a big fan of the Stainless stuff, it looks cheap and tacky and is very heavy. Its on my Summit I got used, But may pull it off. It just looks so cheap.

the red stuff isnt necessary, but looks good IMO, this is my hobby, if I wanna buy something pointless I will.

Ive had 2x 2085X’s in other X Maxxs Ive owned and theyve been ok, but at least on paper, the Dmond is much more powerful, much quicker and cheaper.

Not sure how SS can look cheap 😄 You can see the state of mine in the pic - would have shredded quite a few plastic plates, but this still holds - some times have to remove it and hammer it back to shape, but its strong and is not heavy. I didnt use side covers and i think (looking at the damage on the SS) can also remove the center piece. 

Regarding servos - "on paper"? Didnt have the time to install it yet? 🙂    

20220410_183451.jpg

1 hour ago, Tadas said:

Not sure how SS can look cheap 😄 You can see the state of mine in the pic - would have shredded quite a few plastic plates, but this still holds - some times have to remove it and hammer it back to shape, but its strong and is not heavy. I didnt use side covers and i think (looking at the damage on the SS) can also remove the center piece. 

Regarding servos - "on paper"? Didnt have the time to install it yet? 🙂    

20220410_183451.jpg

Ive installed the servo just not used the X Maxx since ha

• Like 1

During light bashing today i noticed that my front wheels do not have any power. Upon some (a lot) disassembly i have found the problem:20220415_121944.thumb.jpg.30f2415ae9b9e9781c23fd84862fd948.jpg

Not sure why would this break.... Front wheels don't get abused as much as rear ones.... Anyway - now I have a question - can I buy this part separately? Part number for this in traxxas manuals are for driveshaft... Maybe there are some non traxxas upgrades that would be better?

Untitled.jpg.98ebd4cc7cdd154b34b59af4fbf5481b.jpg

Last few outings with max6 and 22/46 gearing with standard motor the esc has overheated/cut out. I’ve installed a more powerful fan to try and cure the issue, and although I haven’t tested yet, I haven’t high hopes.

has anyone else suffered with this, and if so have they managed to overcome the issue?

im thinking going max5 or mmx8.

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Last few outings with max6 and 22/46 gearing with standard motor the esc has overheated/cut out. I’ve installed a more powerful fan to try and cure the issue, and although I haven’t tested yet, I haven’t high hopes.

has anyone else suffered with this, and if so have they managed to overcome the issue?

im thinking going max5 or mmx8.

lol fans only mask the problem your gearing is too high for what your doing with it just drop the gearing.  A max 5 is a better option but then your bump the gearing higher and run into motor issues. No one cares nowadays they just add fans then cry a month or so later they puffed there lipos or it caught fire. 

Too many Facebook engineers that know nothing other than to sell you there latest cheap computer fan pile of rubbish at stupid prices. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

lol fans only mask the problem your gearing is too high for what your doing with it just drop the gearing.  A max 5 is a better option but then your bump the gearing higher and run into motor issues. No one cares nowadays they just add fans then cry a month or so later they puffed there lipos or it caught fire. 

Too many Facebook engineers that know nothing other than to sell you there latest cheap computer fan pile of rubbish at stupid prices. 

Do you not run any fans? If so, is it not to control rather than mask? The reason I asked is because I do care and would like to learn - not to be laughed at. 

I’d like to keep the gearing I have. It’s a good balance of speed and acceleration. The motors not getting too hot, just the esc.

It was the original max6 fan that was replaced as I discovered it was missing a fin (could be reason for overheating), so assumed putting like for like in would only end the same way. After a quick search, I decided on a box of 5 high performance fans from Amazon for a 11 quid so spares - it’s the ‘Rc’ ones that are overpriced. 

Took it for a quick blast last outing (not fully tested/pushed) and it appears to have fixed the issue but I’m not certain so was just looking to see if anyone had ran similar gearing without problems.

Basically I was about to pull the trigger on a max5, but didn’t know if I needed to. If it hasn’t cured it, I’ll look at getting a more capable esc, but I’ll try not to cry about it.

I run 22/46, Max 6, no fans and its been fine. I only run 1 pair of lipos a time through mine though, so whats that 20/25mins maybe? Thats been through Autumn/Winter too. 

Maybe now were going into Spring/Summer and temps are hotter Ill have to gear down?

I never bother with additional fans on any of my RCs. Never have, seems a scam to me. 

If youre getting heat issues, gear down. 

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I run 22/46, Max 6, no fans and its been fine. I only run 1 pair of lipos a time through mine though, so whats that 20/25mins maybe? Thats been through Autumn/Winter too. 

Maybe now were going into Spring/Summer and temps are hotter Ill have to gear down?

I never bother with additional fans on any of my RCs. Never have, seems a scam to me. 

If youre getting heat issues, gear down. 

I actually geared like this off the back of your recommendation I believe. And you’re right, through winter there were no issues.

have you removed your max 6 fan all together? I didn’t put an additional fan on, it was a replacement.