• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Guns, be careful with that GPM sprung steel servo link.

The rod ends are JUST long enough. I found that once you start adjusting, there's not enough 'thread' and you pull them off easily.

I'd find a pair of decent M4 / M3 rod ends - best I've found are the G-Made ones - might need to trim a little - no bad thing.

Al.

I already did that with set up haha. Any one make a longer one? Dont fancy taking mine out to measure it!

I actually do remember a team called Ipswich ... even in the 1st, aka Prem of the time ... polite answer NO, it wasn't.

'Our' luck lately I do have to take advantage of an opportunity ... but fair enough, let's keep it RC!!

I saw that post in the TF, and the other comments made by 'Traxxas Employee' ... soon be locked if it isn't already.

I made a logical request and got a polite answer back.

Al.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Guns said:

I already did that with set up haha. Any one make a longer one? Dont fancy taking mine out to measure it!

In my reply.

G-Made - M4 / M3.

http://www.rcmart.com/with-68mm-steel-ball-p-58805.html

gmade-gm20172-2.jpg

May need to trim down a little, but MUCH stronger.

Al.

43 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Yep 2 sides  fella to ever story but if you go to a manufactures own forum and start stating there products are crap wether they are or not it's no surprise there going to get hacked off with you it's just common sense to me .. Like i say open forums are where it's at that's why I love this one ;) 

Some forums (URC) don't allow the truth, and will "banned you for life" 

I believe it is a rod end to screw ONTO an M4 turnbuckle, but with holes for M3 bolts, which are used to locate them - if that makes sense.

Here they are - Apex Models: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMade-M4-Rod-End-With-6-8mm-Steel-Ball-10-GM20172-/282283473655?hash=item41b967faf7:g:C18AAOSwXSJXPSSt

Probably means they'll order from the supplier, who's out of stock .... there will be more.

I've used alloy RC4WD rod ends on my TXT-2 and have reverted to the G-Made plastic ones - seem stronger!

If you REALLY want alloy: https://rc-car-online.de/en/products/y0529_alle-steel-ball-joint-4-6-8-mm-to-choose-r-l-thread-3-4-5-mm-bore-in-ball.html

They'll be too long and need grinding back, but you won't get better.

Al.

I'm finding alloy rod ends, unless really well made keep popping the retaining ring.

The RC4WD's will work.

These can probably be made to work with a little 'persuasion' and will be tough as £$£k !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-LOSI-LST-LST2-Tie-Rods-Turnbuckles-With-Pivot-Balls-/262766820627?hash=item3d2e1f7d13:g:PDYAAOSw5cNYMbAM

Al.

Update on the small bit of material in the centre of the centre diff

08476109-836C-4046-A779-0939D8B62971_zps

can you drill it out ? Can you bugger :ack: :smilies_eusasmiles2: 

Had it on the bench drill tried various drill bits didn't even make a mark ! Needs to go in a machine shop but the one I used to use closed down last year so for now it's on hold sorry chaps .. 

I'll run the Traxxas ring and pinions and stick the Rock Passions in the new one ;) 

Talking of which that's stripped ready for its new beating heart max5 really hope this mounting idea pays off ? Will soon find out ;) 

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

I'm finding alloy rod ends, unless really well made keep popping the retaining ring.

The RC4WD's will work.

These can probably be made to work with a little 'persuasion' and will be tough as £$£k !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-LOSI-LST-LST2-Tie-Rods-Turnbuckles-With-Pivot-Balls-/262766820627?hash=item3d2e1f7d13:g:PDYAAOSw5cNYMbAM

Al.

I had that on some cheap Chinese ones too. I put a big washer on top which stopped it but did end up going back to plastics in the end.

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Do you know how long you actually need it guns?

I'm thinking a complete Vorza front upper tie rod link.  5mm rod and 3mm screw at the ball end.

The short ones:

413O2GSEsAL._SX355_.jpg

I can check the length later if you want. Could prob dremmel a bit off either end of the rod and a bit off the plastics to shorten it further. Reckon it could beef it a bit being 5mm :) 

Edit: I ignore me. Just measured 75mm. Talking out me butt again :doh:

Edited by dazp1976

So the big news was u sold a xmaxx.... and bought another 1?

:mellow:

this cd. Those rock passion pins won't fit it. But the original v1 pins will? And hds?

;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Update on the small bit of material in the centre of the centre diff

08476109-836C-4046-A779-0939D8B62971_zps

can you drill it out ? Can you bugger :ack: :smilies_eusasmiles2: 

Had it on the bench drill tried various drill bits didn't even make a mark ! Needs to go in a machine shop but the one I used to use closed down last year so for now it's on hold sorry chaps .. 

I'll run the Traxxas ring and pinions and stick the Rock Passions in the new one ;) 

Talking of which that's stripped ready for its new beating heart max5 really hope this mounting idea pays off ? Will soon find out ;) 

was liking the sound of your idea re max5 position so I had a quick measure up , I don't think it'll fit its very tight at least but I'll have another look tonight.

8 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Do you know how long you actually need it guns?

I'm thinking a complete Vorza front upper tie rod link.  5mm rod and 3mm screw at the ball end.

The short ones:

413O2GSEsAL._SX355_.jpg

I can check the length later if you want. Could prob dremmel a bit off either end of the rod and a bit off the plastics to shorten it further. Reckon it could beef it a bit being 5mm :) 

Edit: I ignore me. Just measured 75mm. Talking out me butt again :doh:

Are they the camber links? If so theyre going to be miles too big, the link itself is only small.

Thanks though :)

My max5 was originally squashed in on some foam with cable ties over it at some weird angle. Now it's up high on a ali plate I cut down to shape.  I can't remember but I'm guessing that's coz it's too big to fit!!!!!

:mf_laughbounce:

Gearing was mentioned..... I did a cpl vids wayyyy back in this thread as I bought all spur sizes... got them b4 the truck in fact back when we were waiting in Dec/jan 15/16 :(

i found 19/50 to b great for me personally ( off road bashing) on 6s max5 stock motor. 19/46 on 6s was fast but lacked the punch for off road bashing. B fine on the hard stuff I'd imagine. My only 8s blast linked earlier was 19/46 geared. Crazy quick and powerful but too much for me .... and that stock motor. 

Edited by Ocdcbr

5 hours ago, Ocdcbr said:

So the big news was u sold a xmaxx.... and bought another 1?

:mellow:

this cd. Those rock passion pins won't fit it. But the original v1 pins will? And hds?

;)

Dont know about the Traxxas HD ones sorry fella, As long as the bore inside is deep enough there fit but you wont know until someone tries them if you not fitted yours send one over and ill check for you if like ? 

1 hour ago, Ripoffbritain said:

was liking the sound of your idea re max5 position so I had a quick measure up , I don't think it'll fit its very tight at least but I'll have another look tonight.

It fits but it its not a direct plug and play needs a little persuading shall we say, worse case scenario i balls up a 3 dollar chassis yep 3 dollars on JRC for a traxxas x maxx chassis plus 8 bucks shipping so its not the end of the world  

1 minute ago, Ocdcbr said:

My max5 was originally squashed in on some foam with cable ties over it at some weird angle. Now it's up high on a ali plate I cut down to shape.  I can't remember but I'm guessing that's coz it's too big to fit!!!!!

Or you just not smart enough to get it to fit :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocdcbr said:

Gearing was mentioned..... I did a cpl vids wayyyy back in this thread as I bought all spur sizes... got them b4 the truck in fact back when we were waiting in Dec/jan 15/16 :(

i found 19/50 to b great for me personally ( off road bashing) on 6s max5 stock motor. 19/46 on 6s was fast but lacked the punch for off road bashing. B fine on the hard stuff I'd imagine. My only 8s blast linked earlier was 19/46 geared. Crazy quick and powerful but too much for me .... and that stock motor. 

what were temps like on 8s on 19/46?q

5 hours ago, Ocdcbr said:

...true... or too lazy too...:D

Well soon find out if I can pull it of or not lol Max5 on route should be here tomorrow ;) 

Just heard from a guy I speak to stateside he has your HD diff gears and they work on the CD  :good: sadly they lasted all of 6 packs :( but he did say he was pushing it some and they had been used before hand so they could well have been weakened from before ? Gearing wise he was running the recommended 15/54 on stock 1600kv motor he says it gets hot not in the thermal meltdown stage but hot enough to cause concern, he is going to gear it down though as it's a bit of an animal on 8s so he says ;) 

So where's the best place to get these Traxxas HD gears ? I've got a nice set of 4s on order lol  :good:

Just seen these are on special at asiatees if anyone is interested £15 off is not bad but limited colours so be quick or just remove the coating with oven cleaner ;) 

https://www.asiatees.com/display?id=119422&brand=Traxxas&model=XMAXX

I've ordered myself a couple to try out ;)