• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi 5ive T Progress Options and Opinions

SlayerLayer

No i haven't tried that I'll give that a go tomorrow, ill see if i can get something the right shape to not damage it.

Yeah i soaked it in wd40 yesterday until today but only managed to move it about 3mm.

Thanks noj i think that idea might work hadn't thought of that.

13 minutes ago, SlayerLayer said:

No i haven't tried that I'll give that a go tomorrow, ill see if i can get something the right shape to not damage it.

Yeah i soaked it in wd40 yesterday until today but only managed to move it about 3mm.

Thanks noj i think that idea might work hadn't thought of that.

I use a product called plusgas, it's superb at freeing up metal to metal parts that have corroded together.  Soaking is preferred but if not possible apply freely, leave over night, a tad more an hour before work and it usually works a treat.

From memory I think its called penetrating oil, was recommended to me by soon a reme fitter when he saw me struggling with my old 4runner.

Modified my post as I've just re read this and realised you've taken the grub screw out already! :) 

Have you got a Losi manual, showing all the parts and how they are assembled (exploded view) it's on line in PDF format, you should get that! 

Edited by Carpmart

Wrap the hex with tissue or paper towels....amazing how much grip they will give to a 'smooth' surface.

Worst case, you'll need a new hub, not silly money really....

The rubber mallet may work well in this application...

:lol:Yeah I've got the manual on my phone but tbh This car is pretty simple to take apart and ive always kept the screws in the holes after i remove it to not get them mixed up and photos helps for the first few times.

I've got it with me at work so on my break ill have another go at removing it.

If im unsuccessful today ill just leave it and run it without the pin and hopefully at some point ill see a wheel run away from the car :lol:

Also a question the stock shock oil all around is 30wt correct?  And if so i was thinking of going a little higher maybe 40 is enough? 

Edited by SlayerLayer

13 minutes ago, kangarilla said:

Quite like the idea of running it to see if the wheel falls off though :)

Yeah I know but I'd prefer to be able to take it off as im going to replace the bearings and clean all the dirt inside there.

Plus there also the possibility of breaking something else when the wheel comes off.

Thats why thats last resort.

Edited by SlayerLayer

I've only ever been to the skate park 3 times, twice with my trophy truggy and once with the 5ive.

Im pretty sure the wheel most likely wouldn't come off with just slowly driving in a circle in a field, because if it would it would have come off by now with the amount of pressure ive put on it.

And if i drove normally or fast then im pretty sure something else would break once the wheel comes off.

Right the rebuild (dismantling) is getting on good and the list of things i need is on going :whistling:

I'm just trying to find out everything i need before i order it so then i only have to make one order and I've got everything i need instead of loads of little ones.

The rear end is now dismantled and stored until i buy the parts i need.20160220_172820_zpsdodvtlxa.jpg

20160220_172820_zpsdodvtlxa.jpg

The diff was filthy on the outside and inside, and the oil wasn't dirty or brown it was BLACK :D

So now need more oil i think ill get for all 3 as its probably worth it and bearings and o ring seals.

20160219_162025_zps4jxtknak.jpg

20160219_162030_zpsuu6wjzrg.jpg

20160219_163116_zpsg0fixjii.jpg

20160220_181943_zpslbdjlkfq.jpg

The black on the rag there is just a bit of the black oil lol it was also a bit low but not much.

Shock bodies aren't cheap and the piston has holes anyway so I don't think that scatch is too serious, as long as it isn't rough or proud, but I do recomend the NRP shock seals to replace the original O rings, they are a brilliant upgrade and cheap, I think FreePrawn stocks them.

I would go much thicker on the diff oils, 15-30K front, 30-50K middle and keep it loose at the back 2K,

That arm will be fine... maybe buy a spare just in case but I would leave it.

I think a fellow basher tried 40 and said it was too hard. Think he has 30... maybe 35.

I've 10k 7k 5k I think... that works OK. 

Edited by (-:AD:-)

Ok thank you guys

I'll get the pins and replace that one and ill use the old arms but buy some spares for the future.

The oils I'm still a little bit unsure about I'll try do a bit more research for the setup.

What spark plug should i buy for a spare ?

Also any other spares i should buy that you guys recommend?  

Im going to put new oils in and seals on the diffs and shocks and also gaskets and exhaust gasket.

And replacing all the bearings.

What else should i replace while im doing the rebuild? 

Edited by SlayerLayer