• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper .21, engine stalls under acceleration (not needle issue)

Lucas2504

Hi, I have a hyper 7 .21 8 port and I have adjusted the needles so that it idles correctly (I used the flowchart) however when I pull the trigger, even if I only pull it a little; the engine will rev lower! and die, sometimes it revs a little higher, but then again revs lower and dies. When this happens the exhaust spits a large amount of oil/smoke/fuel out. I have checked the throttle servo and it is moving in the correct direction. The fuel is brand new and all batteries have been changed. Any help would be great!

I have done that but maybe I didn't do it correctly, tomorrow when it gets light i'll do some adjustments. I have also searched online and found that engine compression could be the problem, do you think this is so.

HYPER ENGINES - 21
eng-set-hyp.jpg
eng-set-hyp-2.jpg
A) High Speed Needle

B) Low Speed Needle

C) Idle Screw

D) Midrange. Do NOT Adjust!
  • Turn both the High Speed and Low Speed needles (screws) to flush in relation to the collar/sleeve. This means bringing the top of the screw head even with the top of the sleeve or collar in which its housed.
  • Leave the LSN (Low Speed Needle) flush with it's sleeve.
  • Do NOT adjust the Mid-Range Needle. Call tech support if you made adjustments to this screw.
  • Then turn the HSN (High Speed Needle) in 1 turn from flush. Closer to 2 turns in from flush will make the engine run faster, but your temperature can get too high quickly. Stick to 1 turn unless you are more experienced.

Second hand (may have been massive mistake) the previous owner said he used after run oil and treated it well but you can never be sure. I disassembled the car almost totally to clean it but didn't go inside the engine.

well you can feel the pich when you pull the pull start plus another way is to take the engine out and hold it by the fly wheel and if the engine spins around then yeah its lost its pinch , so new liner and piston , but then again there are engines out there that are cheaper now that oyu can get , but then i would go back to stock needle settings and try again , if all fails , you then check for air leaks and then check the pinch ,also make sure your air filter is new or clean as that will effect the tuning

After reading this post I say rich settings are most likely. As has been advised, adjust to stock needles and tune from there. Remember that 1/8 of a turn can be too much. Try 1/16 at a time and be patient, after every adjustment try to punch the throttle a few times to clear fuel from the engine before adjusting again.

Ok, I will set needle settings now and test tomorrow. Thanks for the help! By the way is it normal for the .21 8 port to not come with a pullstart? it doesn't appear to even have a plate for it, I just use bump start which is fine but I thought a starter cord was standard on basher engines.

Ok I just tried to run the car and first I tried slowly making the engine leaner, then richer as I couldn't give it any more air, none of this worked and what I found was happening was that when I pulled the throttle, the engine revved lower and made a weird noise, wheels didn't move. Yet the exhaust spat more smoke out even though the engine sounded like it was revving lower...odd. So then I reset the lsn and hsn to factory, it didn't idle for a minute, so I tuned it until it idled at lowest possible revs, same issue as before occured, I'm probably missing something blindly obvious, any help?

Ok I just tried to run the car and first I tried slowly making the engine leaner, then richer as I couldn't give it any more air, none of this worked and what I found was happening was that when I pulled the throttle, the engine revved lower and made a weird noise, wheels didn't move. Yet the exhaust spat more smoke out even though the engine sounded like it was revving lower...odd. So then I reset the lsn and hsn to factory, it didn't idle for a minute, so I tuned it until it idled at lowest possible revs, same issue as before occured, I'm probably missing something blindly obvious, any help?

I wouldnt worry about how long it idles too much, nitro engines dont like to idle. If i left my engine to idle for 1 minute and tryed to pull away id expect it to struggle or stall.

Try tuning for performance rather than how long it can idle. It may well just be the engine if it is pre owned though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Lucas2504 said:

Ok, I will set needle settings now and test tomorrow. Thanks for the help! By the way is it normal for the .21 8 port to not come with a pullstart? it doesn't appear to even have a plate for it, I just use bump start which is fine but I thought a starter cord was standard on basher engines.

Virtually all of the Hyper.21 engines are the same....you can add a pullstart if you wish. I always recommend these settings for Hyper.21 engines...1mm slide gap LSN 0.5 mm out from flush and HSN at least 3.5 out.....very rich...so get it started and adjust from there....HSN-LSN-GAP(after gap adjust will need more LSN adjust...they work together)..only tune a warm engine. What fuel and plug are you using?

Factory needles wont let your engine idle once run in. The idea of returning to those setting is to give you a solid base to tune from. Stock needles then tune hsn, then lsn and finaly idle if needed.

2 hours ago, Anthoop said:

Virtually all of the Hyper.21 engines are the same....you can add a pullstart if you wish. I always recommend these settings for Hyper.21 engines...1mm slide gap LSN 0.5 mm out from flush and HSN at least 3.5 out.....very rich...so get it started and adjust from there....HSN-LSN-GAP(after gap adjust will need more LSN adjust...they work together)..only tune a warm engine. What fuel and plug are you using?

I'm using Byrons 20% and os 8 plug

23 minutes ago, spannermonkey said:

Factory needles wont let your engine idle once run in. The idea of returning to those setting is to give you a solid base to tune from. Stock needles then tune hsn, then lsn and finaly idle if needed.

Ok, I'll try it that way next time, was doing it wrong I guess, thanks.

get the engine warm on stock settings , run up and down and tune the hsn only till you got as much power as possible and then back off 1/8 of a turn so there is smoke still coming out of the exhaust then tune the lsn so you car shoots off like a rocket but has smoke still coming out of the exhaust then adjust the idle or watch this video https://youtu.be/ma2_CghxiUk

1 hour ago, Lucas2504 said:

I'm using Byrons 20% and os 8 plug

20% is the lowest nitro content you should run....it can and will run with lower but it will make running/starting much harder...25% will make tuning and running much easier for you....the OS8 plug is fine but a longer plug is what your engine was made to use..