• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New KM X2

beano123

9 hours ago, scatteh316 said:

After my findings today I don't actually think it's the gears that's the problem!

It was definitely the problem with mine.  I lost loads of gear teeth in all diffs, large chunks of monkey metal in the diff oil.

51 minutes ago, andyknight said:

It was definitely the problem with mine.  I lost loads of gear teeth in all diffs, large chunks of monkey metal in the diff oil.

So did I but after looking it's not actually the strength of the gears, I'm finding it's another part of the diff that's the issue.

If you hold a genuine set of Losi gears and some King Motor ones you'll be pressed to tell which is which...

There's other parts in the diff that do not feel any where the quality of the genuine Losi ones.

Scatty - Clarrification needed.  you post saying that you agree with Andy (several times over the last month) that the gears are weak, then say a few post later it's not the gears, it's other parts of the diffs?  Which is it the gears or the rest of the diff?   

All - It's quite simple If the Losi 5ive didn't exist, then the X2 would be in my collection.  It's a compromise on quality, but I'm being convinced more that it's a reasonable buy for those on a little bit of a budget or simply not prepared to spend on the Losi.  Still wouldn't have one though as the Losi is here and it's awesome! :) 

1 hour ago, Carpmart said:

Scatty - Clarrification needed.  you post saying that you agree with Andy (several times over the last month) that the gears are weak, then say a few post later it's not the gears, it's other parts of the diffs?  Which is it the gears or the rest of the diff?  

That's because it's always been the gears and that looking at them you would assume it the gears but I actually cleaned the stock diff internals out my X2 and noticed a flaw which is highly likely the culprit that causes wear.

In the diff there's also the hardware that holds the planetary gears in place, they're the square shaft holders and the shims......

Now what I've found with the stock X2 hardware is that the metal shim that goes between the shaft carrier and the planetary gear rubs away on the shaft holder to the point where it gets embedded into the shaft carrier and creates really excessive play in the planetary gears..... I feel that it's this play in the gear that causes mesh issues which then causes them to break.

I've actually got enough parts to make another diff, so as an experiment I'm going to make a diff using KM gears but Losi hardware and see if it still breaks, the Losi hardware should not wear like the KM stuff does.

If it does break then it is ultimately the gear quality that's at fault but if it lasts then my theory may well be correct.

2 hours ago, Carpmart said:

All - It's quite simple If the Losi 5ive didn't exist, then the X2 would be in my collection.  It's a compromise on quality, but I'm being convinced more that it's a reasonable buy for those on a little bit of a budget or simply not prepared to spend on the Losi.  Still wouldn't have one though as the Losi is here and it's awesome! :) 

Just to correct your point. If the Losi 5ive didnt exist then neither would the X2 :P

• Like 3

In spite of these little issues, there are known fixes with stock Losi parts, and i'm fully prepared to buy an X2 by the end of the month. I just can't justify the extra cost of the Losi, especially after hearing lots of good things about the latest batch of KMs

10 minutes ago, Pistonhead said:

In spite of these little issues, there are known fixes with stock Losi parts, and i'm fully prepared to buy an X2 by the end of the month. I just can't justify the extra cost of the Losi, especially after hearing lots of good things about the latest batch of KMs

You pays your money and makes your choice. :) 

• Like 1

So let's do a comparison, What needs changing on each car, I have no direct experience of the Losi, So can only talk for the X2.

I would say that the internal gears need changing, They may hold up, But there is no confidence in them, The pull start, I have kept mine going, But I'm very hands on, Others just want pull and go.

And that's it, I've had a servo go, But just as many Losi servos have gone, And I would take the Flysky gear over the Spectrum all day long.

A lot will bring the engine into question,  But many have had no problems with it, And it's a quick engine, Your may have to change it if it go's bang, But how many changed the Losi engine because it was under powered and crippled by the standard can.

And that's all I can think of, Maybe you can't bring the advantage of the free Alloy into it, But these are bits that people like to have, So that's 40 quid of extra stuff,  And the tuned exhaust is without doubt an advantage, Maybe it's not a Bartelone,  But it's better than a can.

So what about the Losi, What needs changing, If anything.

As Dan says its all down to personal choice.

I would never buy a clone as i dont agree with the principal or the ethics of ripping off someone else's design.

Its a shame cause with a bit more effort they could design there own RC's and bring even more cars to the market place 

Some of you may not remember the KM T2000, a Baja with a belt drive to the front end, with a bolt on front gearbox and new suspension.

cb56f66de0a702de8b6f1a0d6c2fbb92.jpg

3e1d07625474894c0e674e4caf2a146b.jpg

Does show that KM have the innovation and ability to make some interesting hybrids/new vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised if i see an X2 MT before a 5ive MT

• Like 2

The biggest problem I have with all the clone talk, Is the hypocrisy, People are quick to jump on the clone slagging high horse, While all the time putting stuff from TR,Uber and all the like on there cars.

This is one quote that kind of sums it up that I remembered, And please Andy, It is NOT a dig at you, But In "Andys X2/5ive Hybrid Build" thread, Andy said.

I think it's time I started calling this car a losi as there's not a huge amount of km left on it apart from the engine, wheels and shocks.  phatdad centre shafts have arrived and cvd's on order.  just need the diff and drive cups to come back into stock.

So forgive me if I'm wrong, But from looking through the thread, The only thing on the car that is Losi is the chassis, So you can't call it a Losi anymore than you could call the X2 a Losi, You took a car made up of clone parts, And fitted better quality clone parts, Making a stronger 5ive clone.

And that's were the lines seem to be blurring, Companies bring to market all these clone parts, And we buy them, And it's ok, A company brings these clone parts together to make a whole, And it's not ok. Put it this way, If I started buying all these parts from all these different companies in bulk, Put them together and started to sell my own clone 5ive, Would you still not buy it.

Of course, I will take it all back if you show me that all these other companies are paying a royalty to Losi for every part they sell.   

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't King Motor have a 4wd Baja based truck available at one point?

They did, It was the T2000.

Edited by babylon

50 minutes ago, Rover Man said:

Nope. i dont like cheap tat :thumbsup:

The bitterness of poor quality will out last the joy of a cheap price 

Well so far my cheap tat X2 has provided me with 5 months of joy and not a single it of bitterness ;)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Pistonhead said:

Some of you may not remember the KM T2000, a Baja with a belt drive to the front end, with a bolt on front gearbox and new suspension.

cb56f66de0a702de8b6f1a0d6c2fbb92.jpg

3e1d07625474894c0e674e4caf2a146b.jpg

Does show that KM have the innovation and ability to make some interesting hybrids/new vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised if i see an X2 MT before a 5ive MT

Wow a belt driven 4 wheel drive large scale rc, pity FG didnt do that years ago lmaooo