• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My drift car any help welcome

LeeMutz

Just picked this up as my first drifter. Has drift tyres, locked rear diff (I assume that's not standard?) and loads of spare wheels etc... Is it a sprint? Don't know a lot about them to be fair... 

DC2679B0-BAE8-42CE-B01A-45BAD12ECB4C_zps

Looks like an older hpi sprint will be fine for some fun drifting. 

unless you want to be going mad with setup and taking the whole thing mega then to be honest find some wheels that you like with tyres and make a shell that you like, i do the shell first then can work out what offset wheels will work best. 

N go have some fun! 

Edited by PurcyP

Got a Porsche 911 shell at moment... Will probably get an old skool shell and some deep dish wheels for it... Yeah it has lots of adjustable bits which is good! But I only have Lipo batteries and it's an older ESC so need to get some batteries to use it... 

NO 

if it comes with a nimh battery use that, the more weight your carrying is going to be better for learning drift, dont worry about hi power motors, expenisve esc's and lipo batetrys right now.

Car is a HPI sprint early model by looks of it. 

Mods to help and adjust chassis for drifting and even racing. First off the front end has 4 solid links, two links hold the wheels upright , and the other two are for steering.
we want to change these to adjustable turnbuckles, this means we can make our wheels point inwards - outwards and off angle to, we call these toe in and toe out and camber adjustments. 

on the rear end there are only two of this solid rods we need to change to adjustable turn buckles, again these hold the two rear wheels upright but we need to be able to adjust the camber. having these six parts changed out drasticly improves the cars handling and setting up.

Power, its not all about power, in a real car yes but the power is used to break the rear wheels free then keep them spinning. in rc cars we just need to get them spinning. you can drift a car with a 7 winding motor or a 27 wind motor , the key point is keeping the wheels broken free and spinning over.
this means your never beyond 75% throttle and your always feathering it, blipping the power to keep the rear unhooked.

Steering takes some learning, at first your going to overcook your steering, to much and to hard and agressive learn to feather the steering adding a little in or out when you think its needed, over time you will learn where the car bites and snaps away, where the rear wheels slide and spin up, you can either flick the steering to start a slide or back off and pump the throttle hard to break the rear grip, then slide in a bit of steering to carry the weight of the car and start sliding.

In time you learn to powerslide with 4x4 , then you will want to move on and have a full drift chassis designed just for drift , this is a differnet machine and tends to be very rear wheel drive bias so its another step in the learning curve, but you already have the basics from your previous model

A voice of experience in regards to 50/50 (4wd) CS (countersteer) and RWD

pick one and stick with it, all the skills you learn with 50/50 and counter steer will not help you in any shape or form for RWD drifting, so if you wanted to do RWD start now not later. RWD in particular really is a different ball game that requires dedication, so many have had a go on my chassis and give up after 30 seconds. I went RWD because its more realistic in how to break loose, the dynamics of it all, very similar to what i was doing in my real car. 

RWD and CS are games for those who enjoy to tinker and forever tinker, RWD more so.

But anyway this isnt really being helpful. 

in regards to your ESC etc if you have nimhs just use them, if you want to invest a little more then you can buy a Trackstar ESC and motor combo for around £40 from hobbyking, hard case 7.4v lipos are had cheap from em too. 

But for now, wack a battery in, put a shell on have some fun. 

Thanks guys. I'm not looking at getting into RWD or hardcore drifting, just some fun in a car park or local sports centre or something... 

Done enough of the real life drifting before in my old Z car after I realised I was good at it in an old e36 I had :) 

will play with some adjustable bits and have a play...