• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas X-Maxx.

Tug

2 hours ago, STW1974 said:

When this is the case I'm not quite sure how some people think there gunna use it a few times and sell it on at a profit 

Because no profit was mentioned, the comment was quite clearly tongue in cheek and (sadly) there are people out there who may just see it on eBay listed used at £649, look at the current list price and (wrongly) assume they were getting a bargain. :lol::doh:

Happy to say that exploitation isn't in my nature. IF it were sold, then as long as the price is covered, all good. :good:

Experience of Traxxas electrics dictated a UK buy, with direct warranty support from MS, plus, supporting UK hobbyshops is a good thing - trying to achieve a balance of buying from home and abroad is sometimes difficult to manage.

• Like 1

When this is the case I'm not quite sure how some people think there gunna use it a few times and sell it on at a profit 

Because no profit was mentioned, the comment was quite clearly tongue in cheek and (sadly) there are people out there who may just see it on eBay listed used at £649, look at the current list price and (wrongly) assume they were getting a bargain. [emoji38]:doh:

Happy to say that exploitation isn't in my nature. IF it were sold, then as long as the price is covered, all good. :good:

Experience of Traxxas electrics dictated a UK buy, with direct warranty support from MS, plus, supporting UK hobbyshops is a good thing - trying to achieve a balance of buying from home and abroad is sometimes difficult to manage.

Very good point , not something I'd thought of but that ms warranty and service is worth it's weight in gold , an the reason I'll most likely be buying the x from them , they were very good to me when I owned my xl .

12 hours ago, Tug said:

Just to clarify, we're not seeing many vids yet because they're still not officially out even in the States? Is that correct? 

Traxxas released 80 trucks in the states. We are seeing the videos of the original 80. Officially, they are released in the US from the 17th,

• Like 1

Must be the Nanotechs!

Pity it wasn't IC powered - needs and IC option - just to make it more realistic I reckon.

Agreed, looked great on the back straight, but reckon that was a diff about to blow at the end!!

Al.

1 hour ago, sean-vrs said:

nicely driven....esp considering the lack of space for it!...i noticed in the description 40 mins of runtime off those 8400 trx packs but it overheated 3 times apparently...slightly concerning i guess.... tho i suppose that kind of driving would make it hot?

Just found the description, he doesn't say exactly what over-heated, but I guess it's a safe bet it was the ESC. They cooled it with an air blower of some kind. No mention if it was still stock gearing, but it was indoors, so might have been a warmish ambient temp? I reckon an Xerun would've carried it, or a Max6.

1 minute ago, Tug said:

Just found the description, he doesn't say exactly what over-heated, but I guess it's a safe bet it was the ESC. They cooled it with an air blower of some kind. No mention if it was still stock gearing, but it was indoors, so might have been a warmish ambient temp? I reckon an Xerun would've carried it, or a Max6.

40 mins of flat out running is a big ask for any esc, when bashing you aren't on the throttle all the time,and it does go well on the straights, the closet thing I've got is the 5sc flux and the longest I've run that in one go is about 20mins

11 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

40 mins of flat out running is a big ask for any esc, when bashing you aren't on the throttle all the time,and it does go well on the straights, the closet thing I've got is the 5sc flux and the longest I've run that in one go is about 20mins

Yeah, I agree, racing is really hard on electrics, you're either on throttle or braking, there's nothing in between. 

I love my Super 5sc Flux, despite its flaws. Couldn't sell it, not even for an X-Maxx! 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2015, 18:25:01, STW1974 said:

I have absolutely no problems paying less for a maxx and relying on great customer service from a German company. 

Profit or getting your money back for a second hand rc is very unlikely/not going to happen. 

These continued pearls of wisdom make me chuckle, please keep on spouting them, makes grey, drizzly mornings so much more cheerful :lol::lol::lol:

Moving on.....

Not a track rig really, though on an outdoor largescale course, it could provide some amusement, briefly. A better ESC is a must, IMO, there are plenty to choose from....:good:

• Like 1

(this is the bloke that run it on the indoor track)

Here are my impressions:

I got 40 minutes of run time on dual 8400 Traxxas Lipo's.
It overheated 3 times. The truck would only go about 3 laps before overheating, that was pretty annoying. I had to pull over, pull off the body and then spray compressed air on the motor heatsink for 30-45 second to cool it off. It was the motor overheating not the ESC. This thing BADLY needs airflow.

And what really surprised me was 70%+ of the Track was 30-60% throttle, only 20% of the Track was full throttle. That kind of bummed me out.

I've noticed as i have gotten harder on the truck I have been able to overheat it in less than 10 minutes when bashing as well.

The truck broke a total of 2 times in the 40 minute session.

One time, I landed a jump wrong and it landed directly on its roof from 3-5 feet up. Pretty hard hit. It ripped the front 4 bolts right through the Lexan on the body in the front where the body reinforcement is. I had to go buy some 4.0mm washers and put it through to help it. After installing the washers, I was not having problems anymore. (See attached picture)

I also broke the front bumper support. The left front bolt ripped out of the threads and the front bumper was hanging on the left side.

Conclusion: MUCH more fun than any kind of bashing. The truck got an unbelievable amount of attention... The Track owner asked how do I already have the truck and many people were in love with it! Comments after comments!

These 2 racers flipped the truck over, and looked at the design of the captured pins for all of the components and were really impressed. The truck took some NASTY hits on the clay, I'm surprised I haven't broken a control arm yet but man was it fun!

Is there a sensor monitoring the motor temp? If not, what symptoms did the truck give that it was over temp? 

Sounds like a few mods to the shell to reduce the chances of ripping it off.

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

Is there a sensor monitoring the motor temp? If not, what symptoms did the truck give that it was over temp? 

Sounds like a few mods to the shell to reduce the chances of ripping it off.

If there was no sensor.  then all i can assume is the ESC wasn't flashing to indicate overheating so he looked straight at the motor as the issue.