• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas X-Maxx.

Tug

8 minutes ago, turok007 said:

If it does blow at least you know the fuse should save the truck.  So no need for a cup of earth.

Or turning the truck upside down so that the flames can get a really good purchase on the chassis! :lol:

• Like 2

So, right at the beginning of the 80's,  I went to the model shop (one o one models, Chatham) with my dad to buy my first rc car for my birthday,  new what I wanted, A Tamiya Hornet, Was a lot of money in them day's,  about 150 quid RTR. 

Takes me and my dad about 4 nights to build together (Best times) doing a few hours a night.get it finishhed,  But not allowed to have it till my birthday,  but can keep it in my room. 

One night I get it down off the shelf and push it about (Was only young), Then think I'll give it a quick little drive on the bed,so going backwards and forwards,  Then there is a flash and the car stops and won't go, I get in a right panic and all scared that I have broke it not knowing anything about electric or RC cars,  Eventually I worked out what had happened, So I did what everybody did in them day's when a fuse went, Put some sovereign foil around it and away it went.

Funny how 35 years later we have come full circle. 

Right. Fuse thing. 

I I was expecting a wire with a fuse built in the middle that maybe u can remove. 

Its nothing like that. It is just a cable. It must be a cable with a max rating lower than that of the traxxas 20g cable. It's thinner and less flexible so I'm guessing the wire inside will burn out to stop damage. Then u would need another new wire. 

6 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

Right. Fuse thing. 

I I was expecting a wire with a fuse built in the middle that maybe u can remove. 

Its nothing like that. It is just a cable. It must be a cable with a max rating lower than that of the traxxas 20g cable. It's thinner and less flexible so I'm guessing the wire inside will burn out to stop damage. Then u would need another new wire. 

This bothers me, down time because the fuse popped. 

Still want! 

Just now, Tug said:

You mean "wear out", no. It'll run at its maximum rating until hell freezes over. 

Haha yeah thats what i mean, Okay good. 

Ive been running a set of 5000mAh cells 11.1 V Traxxas, they are brand new however I'm worried they have something wrong with them because when i charge them at 4 Amp on my new traxxas ID charger they just take little over 30 mins, surely this cannot be right ?? 

1 minute ago, bjbear123 said:

Ive been running a set of 5000mAh cells 11.1 V Traxxas, they are brand new however I'm worried they have something wrong with them because when i charge them at 4 Amp on my new traxxas ID charger they just take little over 30 mins, surely this cannot be right ?? 

A cell checker would help you immensely. I've got two that'll actually tell you, in percentage, how much charge is left. This then tells you accurately if your LVC is working properly. Most of my cells come off the cars at about 10% capacity, so I know the LVC is kicking in at the right time. 

What C rating are your cells? If they're a bit low, say 25C, then they might be sagging under load and triggering the LVC early. 

5 minutes ago, bjbear123 said:

were they at storage charge 3.8 odd V

These batteries are brand new 5000mAh 11.1V traxxas ID batteries yes these are 25 C.  I have put a couple of runs through them now and still they only take 30 mins to charge with my brand new Traxxas Ex - Peak Dual charger, I have been charging them each time on "Balance mode" Is this the correct way ?? 

These batteries are brand new 5000mAh 11.1V traxxas ID batteries yes these are 25 C.  I have put a couple of runs through them now and still they only take 30 mins to charge with my brand new Traxxas Ex - Peak Dual charger, I have been charging them each time on "Balance mode" Is this the correct way ?? 

what is the voltage before you put them on the charger.   you should only worry if they get to warm

Edited by turok007

The batteries have the ID connector so i am unable to check the voltage, 

I also have a set of batteries from hobby king, These have the balance cord so i can check the voltage, I took them out the car at 3.7 V.... is this correct ? 

Also maybe its that I'm not discharging them enough in the car, I took the 5000mAh Traxxas lipos out of the car as soon as i thought i saw a 1 or 2 mph speed drop,

this is my first time using Lipos / brushless so i don't really know much. 

Edited by bjbear123

2 minutes ago, bjbear123 said:

I also have a set of batteries from hobby king, These have the balance cord so i can check the voltage, I took them out the car at 3.7 V.... is this correct ? 

Also maybe its that I'm not discharging them enough in the car, I took the 5000mAh Traxxas lipos out of the car as soon as i thought i saw a 1 or 2 mph speed drop. 

you can go down to 3.2v per cell  as for testing the traxxas packs you can get a adapter

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=388465&gclid=Cj0KEQiAisy1BRD7_YSgpduD2cEBEiQAPR3UuL3aS8YpRHJ2o0wlv8NmGRJpRIO-5yAIwE1YDvYmLhIaApoI8P8HAQ

Edited by turok007
  • Like 1

Also maybe its that I'm not discharging them enough in the car, I took the 5000mAh Traxxas lipos out of the car as soon as i thought i saw a 1 or 2 mph speed drop,

this is my first time using Lipos / brushless so i don't really know much. 

Sounds like you're not running them to cut-off, the car will stop running altogether when the LVC kicks in.

• Like 1

Oh right, I didn't know the car will actually stop running, ill try that next time. 

As for my hobby king batteries isn't 3.2 V pretty low... I have a low voltage alarm which plugs into the balance cord, just to try could i set that to alarm at 3.2 V this won't harm the batteries at all ? 

Just now, bjbear123 said:

Oh right, I didn't know the car will actually stop running, ill try that next time. 

As for my hobby king batteries isn't 3.2 V pretty low... I have a low voltage alarm which plugs into the balance cord, just to try could i set that to alarm at 3.2 V this won't harm the batteries at all ? 

3.2 is totally safe  some pros take packs down to 3v  but you have to be very careful.  lol

• Like 1

Oh wow, it must be me then, I have been taking my batteries out at 3.8 V thinking that they where dead after 10 mins, i felt pretty disappointed with Lipos to be honest. 

If the car automatically stops when they are dead is it safe just to keep on driving until the car stops, this level won't be below 3.2 v ? 

Sorry for all the questions 

Edited by bjbear123

Lipo officionados will say "don't take them below 20%", but your cut-off will leave them with approximately 10%, this is fine. 

If your green LED is on, just drive until it cuts. The steering will work, but nothing else. 

Oh wow, it must be me then, I have been taking my batteries out at 3.8 V thinking that they where dead after 10 mins, i felt pretty disappointed with Lipos to be honest. 

3.8v is storage charge.  so that is why the quick charge times.    At least you were on the safe side.

Thanks for the advice guys, 

I have just charged them up and this time will run them until the car don't drive any more. 

Ill let you know how i get on... thanks again ! 

Came hope from work early as I couldn't wait lol. First impressions are its huge! Everything seems ok off the bat, love the quick release on the body, I also don't like fully plastic trucks but this feels high quality and very sturdy. Plan on having a night stripping it down and soldering my connectors to the esc. 

I dont rate traxxas' droop adjustment, much prefer grub screws like the on the 5ive but I guess their budget was spent elsewhere :P

526CB64E-5141-4DF8-93FE-ED8D14F12E8C_zps

Here's what the label says on the "fuseable link" kinda stupid that a 750 quid truck is replying on that thing but hey ho.

E432B1C8-EA08-42F6-A6DD-32125EE50ACB_zps

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys, 

I have just charged them up and this time will run them until the car don't drive any more. 

Ill let you know how i get on... thanks again ! 

Double check your ESC, green light is on?