• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:1 Motorbikers

HYPER-BOY

Had my first very near miss today, it was sort of my own fault but sort of not, I'll let you decide.

Coming along a complete clear road, with a slight S bend, low walls, short grass, very good visibility, road was fully clear apart from a Mini in front of me doing 40-45 since I got behind him.

I decided to overtake while it was clear, got side on with him about 55, accelerated a bit more (naughty I know) up to about 70, went for 6th, it seemed to engage, then slip out of gear, while I was leaning slightly to straight myself up, off onto the grass at about 75, back end kicked right out, then as it hit the tarmac again caught traction, sent me into a tank slapper, I don't know how the hell I held on, it was like slow motion, I think part of the reason I stayed on was I didn't panic and jam the brakes on like some might, nor did I try to lean right over to pull it back to the tarmac (you're never going to) so I just stayed as I was an held it, felt the back go and just let it happen, it eventually corrected itself, I've definitely broken a fairing tab from the pure violence of the start of a high sider into a tank slapper, it broke a couple of filters for my camera in my top box too, grass all over my bike, chain, sprocket, brakes, both stands... The bloke in the Mini actually pulled over, to check I was okay, I really hurt my little finger on the clutch lever and I was sure I'd done some damage, so pulled in to check and he pulled over.

He left as I was setting off back to see how far I'd gone onto the grass, there wasn't a side place to pull up, but there was grass and mud on the road where I'd come back onto the tarmac, I was off the road for about 300ft ish and when I hit the tarmac I was still doing about 60, so how the hell it stayed upright I don't know.

I pulled into Devils Bridge to further inspect the bike without being on the side of a busy road and the guy was there telling some other bikers about it lol.

It's typical, I didn't have my GoPro recording at the time either, I was so gutted about that, as stupid as it sounds, I'd have loved to have seen it, to learn from it etc...

So the reason I blame myself is I should always remember, you NEVER change gear when leaning, even only a slight lean really did almost kill me, if something big had been coming the other way, I'd not be here to type this now.

On the flip side, the bike popped out of gear itself, whether it was something to do with the gear change, or whether it wouldn't have done it had I stayed in 5th, we'll never know.

I'm amazed at myself though, how calm I was even if that's a self compliment lol, you have to accept in those situations, you're just a passenger, relax yourself and don't jab on the brakes.

Certainly gets the adrenaline pumping :)

Now.....really...changing gear when leaning should not be an issue, especially when changing up. Downshifting leant over is an issue, as the risk of locking up the back end can make things 'interesting', resulting in the back end trying to overtake the front. Been there...done that... XS1100 at speed arrived up behind an Austin Allegro doing 25mph in a 60 zone coming out of a bend. Had to go round it ( XS1100 brakes....not the best even on the 1.1s....) leaving me arriving at hte next bend too fast and off line. Downshift locked the back, and the rear broke traction. Just pinned the throttle and held on! Got round....but came out of the corner on the wrong side fighting it back into a semi straight line.

As you found out...sometimes the 'natural' instinct has to take a backseat to the bikers instinct....which is to stay straight and level and off the brakes uintil you have traction. You might crash doing that...but you definitely will if you grab the brakes. Inertia is your friend here!

The slo-mo is normal. That's a massive dose of adrenaline pumping youir system at max, making the world seem slow and treacly.

Now...as to the cause....that's not good. It's possible a 'lazy' upshift didn't engage it fully, or you were snatching the change while focused on the overtake....but it's also possible you have wear on the engagment dogs on the gears. I'd find a nice quiet straight road and hammer it up in 5th/6th swapping from one to the other and see if it does it again. As to the circumstances..well...that is EXACTLY why I ride a 900 Hornet rather than a 600. Same top end power....similar speeds...but I can go from 50-90 without a gear change and seldom need to worry about running out of revs mid overtake. Worth considering when you next go bike shopping ;)

On 03/09/2018 at 16:38, Nitroholic said:

Certainly gets the adrenaline pumping :)

Now.....really...changing gear when leaning should not be an issue, especially when changing up. Downshifting leant over is an issue, as the risk of locking up the back end can make things 'interesting', resulting in the back end trying to overtake the front. Been there...done that... XS1100 at speed arrived up behind an Austin Allegro doing 25mph in a 60 zone coming out of a bend. Had to go round it ( XS1100 brakes....not the best even on the 1.1s....) leaving me arriving at hte next bend too fast and off line. Downshift locked the back, and the rear broke traction. Just pinned the throttle and held on! Got round....but came out of the corner on the wrong side fighting it back into a semi straight line.

As you found out...sometimes the 'natural' instinct has to take a backseat to the bikers instinct....which is to stay straight and level and off the brakes uintil you have traction. You might crash doing that...but you definitely will if you grab the brakes. Inertia is your friend here!

The slo-mo is normal. That's a massive dose of adrenaline pumping youir system at max, making the world seem slow and treacly.

Now...as to the cause....that's not good. It's possible a 'lazy' upshift didn't engage it fully, or you were snatching the change while focused on the overtake....but it's also possible you have wear on the engagment dogs on the gears. I'd find a nice quiet straight road and hammer it up in 5th/6th swapping from one to the other and see if it does it again. As to the circumstances..well...that is EXACTLY why I ride a 900 Hornet rather than a 600. Same top end power....similar speeds...but I can go from 50-90 without a gear change and seldom need to worry about running out of revs mid overtake. Worth considering when you next go bike shopping ;)

Thankfully I didn't suffer with any locking up and I do believe it was myself that saved myself, if that makes sense.

As for the circumstances, I wasn't really running out of revs as such and the gear change wasn't a hard one or snatchy, I was just passing him quite nicely, wasn't at stupidly high revs etc... I only went into 6th to set myself up for the long straight, which I wasn't planning to do at silly speeds, just to lower the revs to a more friendly cruising level/speed.

The gear definitely seemed to engage then jump out, but I've never had the issue before (accelerating much hard and changing faster) and haven't had it after the event either, so hopefully it was either a simple one off, or it might have been my own fault but I would bet every penny I have that the gear did engage.

I got some new rubber today, going to get it fitted this afternoon by the local garage.

43745842685_5f3a07d464_b.jpg

New tyre is scrubbed in thanks to a nice ride out yesterday in decent weather :D
We did Kendal, Windermere, Ullswater, Kirkstone Pass, Alston, Middleton and a few others, they probably aren't in the right order either lol, I'm still not brilliant with places!
Good chance to have another play with the new camera as well.

42931230470_06aaf3f3fa_b.jpg

42931230170_cced41ae2c_b.jpg

44692089382_329670c454_b.jpg

44022690104_9dff650559_b.jpg

44022689564_08ac8ce7a5_b.jpg

44022688884_b6eb7da85b_b.jpg

29804499057_6f0e9b5fbe_b.jpg

29804498557_96f480da2e_b.jpg

44022687144_3e866e37ca_b.jpg

44022686634_6177430898_b.jpg

42931226240_3489c0271d_b.jpg

FYI; I wasn't hiding in the bushes looking at this girl LOL, I just happened to have my long lens on and wanted to quickly snap the picture so had to move back a bit and a tree limb got in the way, but I kinda liked it so I kept it.

42931225740_a1c4335415_b.jpg

42931225330_5eda0d52fe_b.jpg

42931224720_97e5b97806_b.jpg

42931224230_3df3c91aa0_b.jpg

43832516565_fa734013e9_b.jpg

43832515985_0d72cd4afe_b.jpg

43832515065_6356b2f27b_b.jpg

44692089722_312afd006b_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was rather eventful and enjoyable.

Had a lovely ride out on the bike, almost destroyed my new lens for my DSLR when the rear lens cap had come off, thankfully I think I caught it in time before it had got scratched up.

On the way home I saw a woman in a car furiously flashing her lights at me, I wasn't going fast anyway but slowed down to about 35, about half a mile up ahead, some quite large tree limbs were all over the road, along with lots of smaller branches and little bits of debris from the tree, it had clearly just snapped a couple of minutes earlier.

I put the hazards on, pulled over to clear it all up, took me a good 10 minutes to do, not a single bloody car driver stopped to help!

Just as I was about to set off, another branch broke off, thankfully it didn't hit me and it landed in the side of the road.

Then coming through town, I see a car stopped, notice something doesn't look quite right and realise both it's front wheels are facing inwards.

Another car on the side of the road with the door caved in, so had to sit through that, thankfully there was a few people already pulled up helping direct traffic or I would have pulled up, a bit further down the road I spotted some coppers in a van, so told them about it, both of them just seemed to laugh though, which I found quite strange.

Riding back and from where the crash was to my house is about 5 1/2 miles and it was solid traffic all the way, our side was clear thankfully, typically I didn't have my GoPro on for any of this!

On the plus side, the weather was actually nice and warm and I enjoyed my ride out!

44230760984_2e940e5f42_b.jpg

44230761384_de57ec645d_b.jpg

43138339910_1422d66370_b.jpg

44230760434_aaa8a4180e_b.jpg

43138339010_db4d121f18_b.jpg

43138338450_bdfa8fd556_b.jpg

44230759284_bb6eee9475_b.jpg

44230760714_87f135cc81_b.jpg

44230759854_54b2af6423_b.jpg

43138341080_ebffb89e3d_b.jpg

44230758284_ff20cb2871_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I understand where you guys are coming from but I'm really not bothered about power and apart from which I'm not what you'd call well built lol so anything over 125 is probably going to feel like a million cc to me. Plus after sitting on it, it felt perfect for me though I would like to have a sit on the new CBR650R at some point. 

Not that it really matters at the moment as its just a fantasy as I probably won't get around to doing my test until next year at best :(

18 hours ago, supersavage said:

Think I've found the bike I'm hoping to work towards when/if I ever get my full licence :)

2019 CBR500R 

aQHAGuL.jpg

Excellent larger commuter bike, a massive step up from the cbr 125/250 bikes. Extremely reliable. I work on bikes day in day out, and its not un common for these things to come through our doors with 20k miles on them with little to no service history. They really are built like tanks and go forever! But as OHO said they are flat as a fart if you have ridden any sort of 600cc inline 4 sports bike. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Painted the fence this bank holiday weekend...oh and my XSR900.

XSR900

Standard apart from:

Seat cowl

LED indicators

Crash bungs

Heated grips

Pillion footpegs removed