• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

hyper 7 black eating glowplugs

Yrkoon

hey guys got an old model hyper 7 black tq, the 3 port .21 engine, just recently dug out the models after years of no use, it seems to be eating glowplugs at an alarming rate.

for example a new os8 plug lasted about 4 minutes earlier lol and it keeps cutting out after using only a quarter of the fuel in its tank.

any ideas?

running nitro 25 fuel, think its opti fuel or something its the pink decent stuff.

Edited by Yrkoon

Possibly a leak.

Check head is tight, tubes don't have any splits, carb doesn't have any leaks .....

Could also be leak at the crankcase - seals.

Others will advise how to approach it.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Maybe need a cooler plug?? I think although I could be wrong that the os no.8 is a medium heat rating. Also I think the more nitro in fuel usually requires a cooler plug. How old is the fuel? If it been stored up then maybe the carb needles might be gunked up abit. Someone will put me right if I'm wrong!!!

Maybe need a cooler plug?? I think although I could be wrong that the os no.8 is a medium heat rating. Also I think the more nitro in fuel usually requires a cooler plug. How old is the fuel? If it been stored up then maybe the carb needles might be gunked up abit. Someone will put me right if I'm wrong!!!

The OS8 is fine with 25% for the Hyper.21...other than that I agree.

To OP-

Is this old fuel...has it been stored properly? 

Have you tried flushing the engine and tank through with fuel?

Have you tried resetting the needles back to base settings?

Checked fuel lines and tank for leaks?

thanks guys, yeh the fuel is old but dads making us use it before we open a new bottle lol

done some cleaning and maintenance on it earlier, replaced a torn rubber seal where exhaust goes into engine and the pullstart case was a bit lose, engine head is tight.

no air leaks on fuel tubing or fuel tank.

ill try flushing the engine next time i get a chance and can buy more glo plugs, then find the stock settings.

thanks for the help guys much appreciated :)

So would an OS no.8 be ok in an .18 size engine??

Running on 16% at moment.

OS8 is a great plug and tends to work for everything...maybe not always the best option but it will work...eg. the Hyper.21 should really be using a longer reach plug as that is what it was made to use (the OS8 is short), using a long plug would slightly improve performance...

So in answer to your question, I would say yes the OS8 will work. (I have used it in engines ranging from .11 to .28 with fuel from 16 to 30%).

thanks guys, yeh the fuel is old but dads making us use it before we open a new bottle lol

done some cleaning and maintenance on it earlier, replaced a torn rubber seal where exhaust goes into engine and the pullstart case was a bit lose, engine head is tight.

no air leaks on fuel tubing or fuel tank.

ill try flushing the engine next time i get a chance and can buy more glo plugs, then find the stock settings.

thanks for the help guys much appreciated :)

this bit exhuast seal perrished  - pull starter case loose. 

the pullstarter is a back plate , but more so its down to how the engine works and what the major part is the pullstarter plays. 

the crank has a hole inside it, looks like a wishing well . fuel gets dumped into this well, then its sucked under the piston,

as the down stroke starts to happen ( piston comes down ) fuel is given a little pressure and forced past the ports to the top of the piston.

the pullstarter acts as a plate on the rear of the engine, it helps hold the charge of fuel and air mix under a little pressure inside the engine .

a loose pullstart will cause the engine to be a pain in the rear to start, loose power and drink fuel ten fold.

Old fuel not good, and thats also going to cause you some starting problems, the more older the fuel the less nitro and methanol is in the fuel.

both these combustion products evaporate over time, just like your petroleum in your old lawn mower, leave it long enough it becomes stale.

and this comes to affect plugs to, when a plug is given a blast of fuel it cools very slightly. if the fuel is old and theres not much bang

it means it can quench the plug in fuel and cause a none fire or even damage /burn out the plug. 

you may find with fresh fuel the plug is not so wetted and will fire over more easy as its combustion products are fresh.

don't for get the mid needle.....

Was hoping he did not touch it....if he was going to ask then I would go into detail about the best way to reset it. (Ps...as you probably know it is not really a needle). :)

Was hoping he did not touch it....if he was going to ask then I would go into detail about the best way to reset it. (Ps...as you probably know it is not really a needle). :)

yeah but it needs to set right..but like u said hopefully he ain't touched it

lol not going to im aware thats not one of the things that should be touched outside the factory, been a fair few years since i was avidly using the models along with dad and my mate and i had forgot a lot about nitro engines, getting there though im starting to get confident at tuning them again, had the ishima rave going sweet on the old fuel untill the plastic bit on a turnbuckle broke lol yay fixed :)

been spending loads and loads of hours going over models and fixing some and loads of testing and making sure their working fine, thankfully its just minor stuff on most of them, waiting on parts is annoying me though, thank god my thunder tigers don't need any lol

dad reminded me the other night that my hyper 7 has always been heavy on the plugs just not as bad as at the moment and i remember why i got a starter box, with pull starts i could start it no bother but when running around even slowly, the engine would some how break the pull start spring and it would fly off when running, just got a pull start case minus spring on the end of it and sealed the holes, hence why i never noticed it was loose a wee bit lol

ill get the engine flushed out etc and see if theres any difference :)

thanks guys :)

Edited by Yrkoon

• 2 weeks later...

just spent a few hours earlier going over the engine, took it out model and took it apart piece by piece while cleaning and used the old fuel to assist in the cleaning and flushing out of it. i noticed the fly wheel (that the right term for wheel the starter box makes contact with?) had a lot more compression when i reasembled the engine :)

think i seen a bit of a glow plug coil in it as well so engine has more compression now and heres hoping it will behave, guess ill find out next time we take nitros out, if any thing it is all shiney and sparkley now :)

cheers for the help guys if it still acts up ill check the carb out.

if the hyper 7 behaves possibly expect another thread on a mt2 engine lol yeh we still got a mt2, cannot remember if their t 15 engines or g3's or what ever their called as we replaced them years ago and decommisioned a mt2 to keep one running, mt2 engine has no comppression, might be another mt2 engine kicking about though :P

Edited by Yrkoon