• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC boat for my young son....

craigburn123

Maybe try one of these?

http://www.sloughrc.com/default.asp?WPG=SRCM_HomePage1&itemid=B-JS-8206/2-4G

reasonable manufacturer, and it seems to come with everything you need. Running a brushed motor and 7.2 NiMh it won;t be too fast for a 5yr old. Brushless and LiPo powered boats are probably going to be a bit too fast.

UDI Venom and order a few extra batteries from Hobbyking.

Why?

Well its cheap, fast, has reverse (which many boats don't but really helps when the kids use it!), has an effective self righting mechanism and the 2.4ghz radio has a tiny aerial the kids can't snap. The only downside is that the stock battery doesn't last that long, but similar sized ones cost around

Si has nailed it . 

they are cheap, BUT they can be re-fitted out with a brushless system. 

later on when you want to upgrade the lad and give him a racer class boat. 

here are the stock factory form boats running on water, they need to get up onto the bow plane

before they start to fly along. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Modelsport had some Venom parts but the props, rudders etc are common to several micro-boats. Parts for my other sons Tamco MB01 fit the Venom and vice versa. I believe Feilun FT07 parts also work..

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Or if you're after soemthing abit bigger try a club 500 boat by model slipway. I had one as my first propper rc and it was cracking boat. Very able too handle waves and rougher conditions. Ran on the 7.2v batteries that are available anywhere. Don't know where you live but they are a competitive boat too and my local model boat club raced them. Have a search in google  (just put the rear wing on the other way. Looks much nicer)

Oh and I never had to replace a single part on mine

• 6 months later...

That's the one. Similar boats can be found now from a number of other people but nothing UK sourced that's cheaper or better. I like the look of the Volantex Tumbler at £30 but not seen one going yet. UDI do a bigger version of the Venom called Tempo 

That said my kids now seem to prefer my Hobbyking Swamp Dawg which also seems remarkable child friendly. Run on 2s and fitted with a reversing esc it's fast enough, great fun and doesn't tip over. 

Edited by Si Coe

On 03/05/2016 at 20:54, Si Coe said:

I like the look of the Volantex Tumbler at £30 but not seen one going yet.

The Tumbler is great. You just chuck it in, like a brick, and it bobs back up and self-rights. Plus it's plenty quick. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So a little update on this thread.

My youngest son has the UDI Venom, my eldest was running a Tamco MB01 (basically the same hull as the Venom but 27mhz and no self righting) up to the weekend when it died. So I got him the Volantex Tumbler. I've just had a chance to compare the two:

UDI Venom

Wheel type controller

Pro's:

Has reverse (for when kids stick it somewhere you can't retrieve)

Runs longer on a single charge

Has a handy low voltage alarm

Cons

Uses a custom battery/plug combo which means you need UDI battery packs, and also can only use the supplied USB charger which isn't that quick. Due to the 4 wire setup its not a matter of fitting new plugs either.

Looks pretty ordinary

Volantex Tumbler

Stick type controller

Pro's

Fast - quite a bit quicker than the Venom

Uses standard JST battery connections so you can run cheap Hobbyking packs, and use a conventional charger instead of the supplied USB one.

Looks awesome.

Cons

No reverse.

Throttle is plane style (stick with no return spring) which is a problem with small kids as they will put the tx down with the throttle still on.

Battery life on the supplied pack is low (but you can fit much bigger packs for very little)

Which is best really depends on the user. For my youngest the Venom is better - reverse, low voltage alarm and a throttle return spring all make me feel more confident I can get the boat back. For someone older and a little more sensible the Tumbler is more fun and easier to keep going for a long time. I also reckon it would be easier to upgrade the electrics in the Tumbler.

I plan to strip the dead electrics out of the Tamco MB01 and see if I can make a brushless micro boat next.....