• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

13.5 boosted- where to invest

riverer

I already got my kit for racing in the 13.5 boosted class, fairly casually I might add! I was wondering what people thought about where to spend money to get the best return on it. 

With all the things you need that that have a direct impact on your speed, where do you think spending more money gets you the most improvement in laptimes? 

E.G. I'd guess a good set of tyres is going to be about the best

• 2 weeks later...

I already got my kit for racing in the 13.5 boosted class, fairly casually I might add! I was wondering what people thought about where to spend money to get the best return on it. 

With all the things you need that that have a direct impact on your speed, where do you think spending more money gets you the most improvement in laptimes? 

E.G. I'd guess a good set of tyres is going to be about the best

In my experience: Practice, Tyres, Setup, Radio, Motor, Servo, ESC, Car, Batteries.  In that order.

I guessed practice, tyres and setup would be up there, but I'd have guessed radio would be pretty much the bottom. How does radio have such a big impact, I figured aside from fancy features like model memory and physical build quality they all did the same thing equally well.

i thought that

but then i went from a basic etronix to a ko propo and the difference is night n day 

when you start racing the tiniest movements are so important and more basic handsets just dont have the resolution compared to higher end handsets.

I guessed practice, tyres and setup would be up there, but I'd have guessed radio would be pretty much the bottom. How does radio have such a big impact, I figured aside from fancy features like model memory and physical build quality they all did the same thing equally well.

When I returned to the hobby I was of the same opinion and got myself a Flysky GT3C.

It seemed to have all the functions I'd need (end point adjustment, steering expo and 2.4ghz).  I was happy enough with it and it served it's purpose well enough whilst I got back to speed with things.  I then saw a special offer on a Sanwa MT4 and I'd read that it was a very good radio so I decided to buy it.  It's hard to describe the difference between the two but I'm no doubt quicker with the Sanwa.  It just seems to respond better and more accurately and somehow made the car feel easier to drive.

I appreciate that on paper it should be similar to the Flysky as I don't really use any of the extra settings but it isn't.  It's miles apart.

cheap radios are that, they tend to offer the basic

a more expensive radio is more finer in its setting.

it transmits at more power and a quicker rate, this with your esc means your reaction time

from a turn to the servo moving is nanoseconds not milliseconds.

as always practice come in first , more track time you have the more you learn where everyone else is,

you learn racing lines and where to overtake in the safest sections.

setup is key any car will go fast but having control over it is key. shock oil and springs.

ride height - camber and toe all affect the car in different areas  ie corners - straights 

motors your generaly n the same key they are a race legal so are made to certain specs and readings,

servo : having a good strong servo will help with holding a corner and give you command of the chassis when running.

For new racers the first few weeks and months are learning car control and speed. its more

finishing a race without hitting the sides than winning, more you go round without bumping the better you feel in your driving

and the more willing your going to push yourself to keep up with others, when this happens you go from learning

to becoming that racer.

• 2 weeks later...

The right tyres are the first thing.

Some clubs have a tyre rule so look into that if you have not already done so.

Correct timing on the ESC and motor end bell are important to the operation of the motor and the lap time too.

Batteries are not as important with a 13.5, anything over 50c should suffice.

A car needs to be light, strong and have good parts support.  I'd suggest a Xray t4 13 used or a T4 '14 if funds allow :)