• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Do you tape your foam inserts?

boombox

When you say tape the tires do you mean gaffa tape radially on the inside to add tensile strength? And when you say tape the foam you mean the same thing?

Yup exactly that

you can try it, it will help but likely not by much.

Have u thickened the mid dif already?

I guess ill give it a go, but yeah running 100k in the center already

nothings been belted yet, because ive been using my on-road tires which have held up pretty well, but now decided to go offroad,

ill go 2 rounds and see how that goes, thanks for the tips! :thumbsup:

could you not band them out with old motorbike tyre tubes ? 

spray tyre weld into a pot, brush inside tyre your wanting to band.

slip a rubber band cut from tube over foams, slip them into rim

bolt to machine and run it up to around half throttle to help bed the bead to the tyre inside face.

Thats a really good idea, but im thinking that motorbike tyre tubes would weigh more than gorilla tape, really trying to keep weight down :whistling:

Edited by boombox

Maybe look at differnet types 

MX tyres and tubes tend to be monstar size thickys. they gotta take stones chipping into them

so the tubes they to are usually thicker ( think more baja sized machines )

now your 1/8th and 1/10th your not wanting MX style tubes

you need to find tubes from the 100cc road bikes

so from 50cc geared road bike to 125cc road bike.

these tubes are a little thiner as they dont need to withdstand what those mx tyres go through.

different thickness gives you different weight bands but different stretch to thicker bands dont stretch as soon as thinner bands.

its only an idea, you would want to try it on an old set of boots and rims. 

you could try glass tape to its has fibre glass strips throughout in a weave pattern for strength ( you see a paper version used on amazon parcel boxes and likes)

we have the same stuff but a clearish version we use to strengthen winds on rc airplanes.

• Like 1

What would happen if we lightly coated tires with shoo goo instead of taping them.

Nanda tires must be good to survive vorza 6s without belting. Could you tie fishing wire around the outside 2-3 rows. It won't last but easy to replace.

Shoo goo will flex/stretch like rubber.  You could use the medium to 'glue' a non flexing band to the tire. However belting with tape works, is simpler and less messy.  I would explore these more 'involved' methods if standard belting does not work for you  ;)

Fishing wire would work but really, I see that as a PITA as it would snap all to often, not to mention the possibility of 'cutting' into your tire as it expands around the line.

Aceton your current nadas off and belt them up.  Go from there as I see that as your cheapest and most effective option.

Note:// I came across some these inserts when running my truggy.  Combined with the matching tires (also ribbed inside to fit the groove) the ribbed formation helped a lot in regards to ballooning.  (I still taped my tires though)

Edited by Deafty

What would happen if we lightly coated tires with shoo goo instead of taping them.

Nanda tires must be good to survive vorza 6s without belting. Could you tie fishing wire around the outside 2-3 rows. It won't last but easy to replace.

I had an idea similar to that, i was thinking of using some thin cable ties

Shoo goo will flex/stretch like rubber.  You could use the medium to 'glue' a non flexing band to the tire. However belting with tape works, is simpler and less messy.  I would explore these more 'involved' methods if standard belting does not work for you  ;)

Fishing wire would work but really, I see that as a PITA as it would snap all to often, not to mention the possibility of 'cutting' into your tire as it expands around the line.

Aceton your current nadas off and belt them up.  Go from there as I see that as your cheapest and most effective option.

Note:// I came across some these inserts when running my truggy.  Combined with the matching tires (also ribbed inside to fit the groove) the ribbed formation helped a lot in regards to ballooning.  (I still taped my tires though)

Cheers ill have a look at some moulded foams, ive already popped off the tyres using a heat gun, currently awaiting the gorilla tape