• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bez's MGM Powered 5ive

-BEZ-

Not sure what you mean by strapped lol.theyre not belted if that's what you mean.

Pic of the label

09D9D8CC-07AD-436C-B6EC-A781DBBD53E4_zps

I may well be interested fella, I will check out if they will fit and get back to you :good:

• 4 weeks later...

Ive just started a new job recently and my time has been utterly murdered but on the good side its at gokart track so as and when its quiet I will get a bit of testing in and report back :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is a bit of news so to speak, I went to test it on the track at work the other night and discovered the steering servo had decided to give up the ghost, which was extremely annoying.

So when I was up Birmingham way yesterday to collect my freshly tuned Weihrauch I popped into visit Dave and harass him for tea has kindly lent me his tonne set up to test on the car as well as some other goodies to help reduce the wallowing and I'm going to go from motor breaking to mechanical breaking so see how that effects the run times and heat generated.

20150807_092250_zpsmay6cd9g.jpg

So I've had the morning off work today so I decided to give the 5ive some lovin'.

So I fitted the heavier DDM springs all round:

20150811_133042_resized_zpszn14xoh1.jpg

(I must admit with the tonne fitted its starting to look very beastly)

And the tonne:

20150811_133031_resized_zpsbg17yyz8.jpg

I've mocked up the disks but im missing a pad bolt (or what ever there called) So if anyone has one spare please get in contact ;)  One problem is the rear disk is just about touching the mount (litrally a fag papers width of clearance) so i will no doubt have to very carefully dremel some of the material away so there is 1mm of clearance.

20150811_133016_resized_zpsyw8ctcq9.jpg

I just need to make up a Y-lead for the brake servo/ESC then its ready for a test run, I'm looking forward to having steering that doesn't feel like a wet sponge lol

ive just got a tonnie, not yet fitted but they look impressive!

Ive got one of them diff bolts if you are stuck... wont be able to post until Saturday though

Ohhh no rush fella as im up to my neck in hassle at work so as and when would be awesome. I'll drop you a PM

Are the holes simply for cooling Dave?

Yes as its still works hard on a hot day in the 5ive. Some thing is just not right with the steering geometry and makes any make

of servo work harder than it should.

Thats one of the reasons that put me off building a 5ive B for racing. Ive seen every make and configuration of servo fail

in a 5ive on the track.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some time off work and took the 5ive out for a blast :D

The tonne has made a MASSIVE improvement to the handling of the truck, It will need some tuning on the transmitter due to the throw being longer for one direction than the other due to the placement but for normal bashing it was not really noticeable. It was so much more enjoyable to be able to hold a direction while on full throttle which the stock servo just didn't want to know about. 

The GRP's while having little grip on slightly damp grass made for huge 100ft controlable drifts with little ballooning while being spun up .......... its just such a shame they look out of place on the 5ive but im going to keep my fingers crossed that they see the potential in the 5ive market and start producing some proper wheel and tyre combos.

The Silver DDM springs have also made a positive improvement to the handling of the 5ive, I also lowered the height slightly using different positions on the towers and arms, all in all it has made for a more predictable drive :)

I may have accidentally damaged one of the brake disks ......... nothing to do with forgetting about not having a proper brake disk bolt in place and me getting over excited about playing with RCs after such a long break  :whistling: so it may have gotten slightly chewed up while I was drifting about the field like a nut job without a care in the world lol