• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Magnetic stealth mounts

Jokr90

Right I've got magnetic stealth mounts, I like them but...

I can't keep the magnets attached to the shell ?

I've tried about 3 kinds of double sided not including the ones that came with them,

Has anyone got these and how did they attach them to the shell,

I dont know what to do haha

Velcro ?

Mix up some Weetabix and milk. Spread it on where you want the mounts, place the mounts in position and leave for 48 hours. The shell will fall apart before the mounts come loose  :tease:

• Like 3

Nope and I've tried gluing magnetic metal to plastic before and it doesn't work,

I've ordered 3m dual lock Velcro to see how that works,

Glue would be a bit messy as its a Sakura front mounts are right by light buckets, and rear are on the back window.

Chewie hahahahaha you are kidding ?

I mean I know it could be used for building a wall but I doubt this size would be efficient

Well it was initially the Velcro I looked for but it was the bar type which doesn't fit on my Sakura d3, that's why I went with the magnets,

But as I've had some trouble on my current shell that's why I've gone for Velcro,

It's just a pain as to where the posts are to where they sit on the shell, the front ones sit in between my light wires and just onto the light buckets on the front.

It's just a pain haha

Chewie hahahahaha you are kidding ?

I mean I know it could be used for building a wall but I doubt this size would be efficient

Yeah, I couldn't resist throwing it into the mix lol

Really. 

metal to plastic bonding is best done with a two part adhesive resin.

depending on what you need there are various strengths / set times/ and useages.

some softer than others , and others that cure to near like steel.

there is one name that comes to mind, ARALDITE , i have used this stuff for years and years.

when mixed correct and applyed correct it bond a goodun. 

Now with all two part resin bases there is a key factor, HEAT. the chemical reaction that takes place

produces heat. more adhesive the more heat made. NOT ideal for gluing arms back together or the likes

its idea for bonding surfaces, like  a magnet to a lexan shell, or the top of a body post to a magnet.

Superglue is not a correct adhesive for the purpose you want it to cover, trim tape could work but will/does degrade over time

two part adhesive is gonna bond it to the surface and make it stay there, but it can be brittle nothing reseasting and gluing back inplace again wont fix.

velcro the body will shift around as its a loose hook and loop fixing, and you will find it ten times harder to stay in place and attached to the shell.

Yeah I got told about araldite yesterday,

I'll keep it in mind, and the Velcro I ordered is the dual lock not loop.

I've read about the standard Velcro

My dual lock 3m Velcro turned up, so far it's sticking great, and the hold is strong enough for me to pick the car up by the roof and it stays stuck, I decided to use a few pieces on my bucket lights as well, again held quite well,

If this ends up failing which so far I don't think it will, I'll be using araldite or the 3m super strength

you araldite magnets to tops of body posts, let it cure up fully.

you place other magnets ontop of post magnets and drop a tiny blob of araldite.

you carefully lower shell into place and leave it alone for atleast 6hrs+. then another 12hrs.

once them top magnets have bonded to the shell you can pop them and the shell off. 

YOU MUST use a small amount, if any epoxy resin runs down the magnets it will lock them inplace

and your stuck.. 

best way is to glue magnets to body first, let these cure up good and propper.

then locat the post magnets onto them and blob up the post magnets with resin.

if it runs down its gonna coat the body post only and not seal the magnets.