• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone else go shooting ?

epons300

I think it depends on the make or model but the major thing that I noticed on the R10 was the short stroke hammer. Essentially it means that the firing cycle is faster which means that the pellet leaves the barrel faster. I'll post up what Phil did to the R10 as I think it might explain better than I can. 

• Thanks 1

The tune includes the following: The rifle is stripped down to its component parts; they are inspected for any wear and overall quality. In most cases parts can be machined or replaced if needed, and are not charged for.  The rifle is worked through as follows:

Hammer mechanism
•    Ensure the assembly is free of any oil, grease or debris which can cause consistency issues
•    Re-finish hammer spring to a higher accuracy  
•    Polish the bearing surfaces in the hammer  
•    Hammer latch pin modified for use with new banjo pin
•    Fit PTFE slip disk
•    Custom made hammer weight & guide to minimise hammer noise & decrease strike time
•    Generally to benefit the rifle further the hammer replaced or modified.
•    When being Tench regulated SE models have a new hammer weight fitted which “short strokes” the rifle.

Loading assembly
•    Loading probe modified for better airflow, pellet feed and smoothness
•    Bearing surfaces polished
•    On older models the probes are modified to prevent issues when cocking with the modified  latch pin
•    Probe guide and pellet tray are modified for smoother loading and to reduce pellet fussiness 
•    Cocking is modified on early models to remove the need to pull the bolt back further when loading a magazine if requested
•    If you include the magazine in with your rifle they are also modified to remove any loading issues such as jamming whilst cycling
•    The magazine locating pin is modified to give a smoother movement
•    Lubricant is added to parts of the assembly to allow a smoother action
•    Bolt lock up mechanism is modified for more responsive and smoother movement, also increasing the rifles consistency. 
•    Bolt flip upon firing is removed or reduced with addition of a new banjo pin

Exhaust valve, transfer port & barrel
•    The exhaust valve stem assembly is modified to run more efficiently 
•    Valve is refaced and modified for a faster flow
•    Valve body is modified for better airflow through the firing cycle increasing efficiency 
•    The valve pressure is reset to give a better performance between heavy and lighter pellets
•    The transfer port is modified to give a higher degree of air flow efficiency 
•    Breech face modified to reduce wear on the pellet when loading
•    Crown of the barrel re-cut the to increase the rifles accuracy
•    Transfer port and barrel are aligned correctly
•    Barrel is secured into the breech more accurately and securely  than standard

Trigger assembly
•    Sears are polished to a smoother finish
•    Hammer latch pin polished & refaced 
•    Trigger pin assembly is reinforced to reduce movement from left to right
•    Trigger let-off is set to a comfortable and safe amount. 
•    1st stage travel can be reduced beyond standard adjustment at request  
•    Safety mechanism modified to give an easier movement & reduce noise

Some parts may be chargeable although I do replace many damaged parts for free as standard. O-ring seals are replaced as standard throughout the rifle and refitted with the correct lubrication. 

New ideas are developed constantly and are added over time. I now no longer work with the factory regulator in R-10’s in any way and replace the unit entirely with a Tench Regulator, which have been proven over many years to perform fantastically in BSA’s, giving performance far beyond the standard regulator, with a higher shot count and better shot to shot performance.

In terms of target shooting you may find that having a short stroke hammer will help (£35), it reduces the lock time of the rifle which reduces any chance of your 'wobble' being able to affect the pellet as it leaves the rifle, the quicker that happens the less effect it will suffer. It makes the R-10 feel much more snappy to shoot, and gives a nice crisp crack to the muzzle report. We also do a reinforced breech bolt (£10) which reduces action flex, which keeps the breech more stable during the firing cycle so your accuracy improves.

• Thanks 1

This what he did to my 97  if your interested (I went for the R4 tune) 

I do 4 different levels on the HW97.

'R1' £60 - Complete strip, service and degrease - Production burr removal - Custom top had and spring guide

'R2' £80 - Complete strip, service and degrease - Remove burrs and internals polished. - Custom top had and spring guide. - Trigger enhancement work, stage 1 - Piston seal modified and compression tube resurfaced

'R3' £100 - Complete strip, service and degrease - Remove burrs and parts polished. - Custom top had and spring guide. - Replacement spring, optional. - Trigger enhancement work, stage 1 - Piston seal modified and compression tube resurfaced - Short stroking service can be carried out where applicable 

'R4' £140 - Complete strip, service and degrease - Remove burrs and parts polished. - Custom top had and spring guide. - Replacement spring, optional. - Trigger enhancement work, stage 2 - Piston seal modified and compression tube resurfaced - Short stroking service can be carried out where applicable - Lightweight piston modification

Cheers, Phil

CheeRs mate, that’s a fair bit of work! I want it done on the HW100 but I also want to wait til it “needs” sorting if you see what I mean?

I love the idea of getting my AA Tx200hc stage 4 tuned! Did you notice the difference between the stage 3 & stage 4 or did you just send in a stock 97?

2 hours ago, Bigjimknickers said:

CheeRs mate, that’s a fair bit of work! I want it done on the HW100 but I also want to wait til it “needs” sorting if you see what I mean?

I love the idea of getting my AA Tx200hc stage 4 tuned! Did you notice the difference between the stage 3 & stage 4 or did you just send in a stock 97?

That's understandable with the 100 as they seem more "reliable" out of the box than the R10. Yep it was a stock 97 however the whole firing cycle feels far better after the tune. 

Seems like a fair few air gunners on here.

my dad bought us both an Air Arms S300 back in 1999 and i still have that gun, also got an Air Arms S410 aswell.

I still go shooting on perms but I much prefer rabbiting with the dogs

Some lovely guns on here...

I just got an air rifle for my birthday, as much as I would have loved a Weirauch pcp jobbie, the budget only went to this humble Milbro Hunter Tracker with scope. The scope is all dialled in now and it does pack some power (supposed to be 11.5ft/lbs). It's quite heavy at 3.7kg and it has quite a violent recoil which affects the accuracy somewhat. It was about £170 all in. The silencer unscrews which shortens the barrel quite a bit, doesn't make a lot of difference to noise imho! I went for the .22 version.

0CB97728-DA38-4A19-9BA4-BDB64F5F72B3.jpeg

Some lovely rifles on here. Well done chaps. 

• Thanks 2

I shoot on a Friday with my Steyr HFT hunting using a sightron 10-50-60 Ft MOA ive only ever used JSB express, we shoot a 5mm target @ 30 yards, I also have a sig pistol, in the past I’ve shot many weapons From pellet to .338 I’ve shot over a mile with a savage 110 BA .338 lupra magnum & bushnel scope on a man size target ? I surprised myself at that one.

2E041B4B-AFF9-48D6-94FE-26B1B5EA6FEC.jpeg

Edited by tomzac66
  • Thanks 2

Cant see it happening any time soon . It would be yet another un-en-forcible law. There isnt enough police to deal with the day to day things now and the firearms licencing section are

so far behind last time i had a security check two armed officers in an ARV turned up as there were trying to clear the backlog.

Not to mention the millions of air weapons already out there, 

Aaaah i suppose that is right but it always seems a few idiots do something stupid and then everyone who has anything deamed as a "weapon" is going to go out and do the same thing lol

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, RadioFish said:

Ooooooo nice tidy case, specific for your gun or can you get one that you cut out yourself?

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

Nope just a "Pick and pluck" foam case from ebay. There spot on for the money..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NUPROL-Large-Hard-Case-Airsoft-Rifle-Storage-PnP-Foam-Black-Tan-ABS-PLASTIC-BB/202103719892?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502096908968&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649