• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My HPi Savage 4.6 X

Gwigga

• 2 weeks later...

Never had a problem fitting clutch shoes and springs. I just use a small flat bladed screwdriver to lever the springs into place one by one

Just make sure you know which way round the shoes need to sit, and make sure the spring sits properly in the groove on the flywheel nut when you are done.

If the shoes come with tiny washers to go under the shoes....fit them.

Oh yes...and take your time. It can be a bit tricky to get the things to sit right, so take your time and keep cool :)

Never had a problem fitting clutch shoes and springs. I just use a small flat bladed screwdriver to lever the springs into place one by one

Just make sure you know which way round the shoes need to sit, and make sure the spring sits properly in the groove on the flywheel nut when you are done.

If the shoes come with tiny washers to go under the shoes....fit them.

Oh yes...and take your time. It can be a bit tricky to get the things to sit right, so take your time and keep cool :)

LOL literally just managed to put them on... a little help from a q-tip to hold the shoe out so I could get the last one in and a few choice words.

Next question though.. on the exploded diagram the picture shows an m5 10x0.5 washer between the first bearing and the shoes, does this washer sit atop the shoes so to speak.. from what i can maker out the inner clutch bell bearing sits on top of it?

The thing is there to prevent the bearing rubbing on the shoes. The washer shouldn;t be touching the shoes, but rather sitting on the flywheel nut.

That it does :) thanks nitro.

Last one, its all together, but as you look at the engine from the side, the clutch bell doesn't completely cover the shoes, theres probably .5mm showing, the screw is tight and everything is rock solid together so to speak

Try it without the shim. As long as the bell spins freely, it's OK. If the bell rubs on the outer face of the shoes, then you need the shim there to stop that. There are so many variations of clutch setup!

Some shoes have little washers under them to space them off the flywheel, some need washers on the outside to stop the end float on the bell, and some need/don;t need shims under the bell. Bit of trial and error :)

You really want the shoes completely covered though, as otherwise the full shoe surface is not in contact with the bell which reduces the total drive and may result in faster shoe wear and slipping clutches.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 05/04/2016 at 16:02, Gwigga said:

What would you recommend?

For a budget servo the PowerHD LF20 :thumbsup: Got one on my Truggy steering and it's been there 8 months or so so far.

Or a Savox 1256 / 1258 very good servos but I find them a bit noisy.