• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti XL kit or rtr owners thread

Hi peeps,

Any tips on switching the front springs to be able to get the appropriate pre load? My standard front springs are at full pre load and still it sags way too low.

Thanks

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks and sorry for the tardy reply. I've been looking at replacement short springs but I'm confused by the colour coding. Stock short springs are white up front and green at back but I see different spring rates advertised online for the white fronts so what is a stiffer spring than white? Does everyone else's front short spring get fully compressed on the bench when batteries are installed even with full pre load? 

Just found this on the RCCrawler site which explains why I'm confused. Seems like there is some misinformation on the net.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/543961-spring-chart-suspension-setup.html

In theory then getting green or yellow short springs up front will help. I can then try the white in the rear.

Edited by JungleS2K
Spelling

On 20/08/2016 at 18:16, mond said:

They look pretty good. How did you keep them on the wheels? Doesn't the RTR have a small 8mm nut? Are the 0 offset? The sandpaddles I got on the 3.8s looked so much wider.

late answer lol   they do have the 8mm nut  but the hub is still 17mm

• 1 month later...

Looked like I somehow ended up with turoks old XL. Seems to still be in near mint condition. Spent last night swapping out the horrendous bellcranks and finding a way to get my 4s 8a zippy bricks to fit. After much faffing I think I got it without moving weight around ridiculously. 

DSC_0556_zpsg9h8lg5r.jpg

Might as well fit my asiatees delivery while I am here too. 

DSC_0557_zpsod154lf0.jpg

Update on my spring woes. I initially bought the green short springs but these made no difference. They were still fully compressed under the weight of XL with 2 3s 5000mah Zippy lipos. So I bought the yellows and moved the greens to the rear. This has helped and I will be testing the impact of the change tomorrow in the Surrey Hills. It's still at max preload but ride height is slightly improved. Axial don't do a stiffer short spring so I'll have to look elsewhere if isn't improved.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't be bothered with a build thread, not like it's the first on here...So I'll be posting all my updates on this thread

Im about 3hrs into the build, nice to have something a bit more complicated than the average 1/8th to build for once, the progress so far.....

IMG_1873_zpsyfh4hz21.jpg

All built as per the book, except I've replaced all the stock bearing with ones from rcbearings.co.uk and done the 3rd bearing mod on the diff pinions :good:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pistonhead said:

Read somewhere (think it migh have been Hemistorm) that using front shock oil in the rears really improves the feel of them.

Cool, that was the first thing I was going to do with the rear, the stock oil is 10wt, ive read that 25wt is a good start