• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Are large scale cars profitable for manufacturers?

ICONIC

If so, why are there not more models out there? Think about it, we have Traxxas, Kyosho, Axial and so on. No one seems to care about the fifth scale... Ok Kyosho have the Scorpion but its not a gasser... Personally I would love to see one from Traxxas! What do U think?

. No one seems to care about the fifth scale... Ok Kyosho have the Scorpion but its not a gasser..

Fifthscale has a more limited market, big, noisy, expensive to maintain so prices itself out of reach of many hobbyists. R&D is costly, the bigger the rc, the greater the cost, so a higher price for buyers. You need bottomless pockets, how many RCists out there have them?? How many folk have the space to keep one, let alone run one?

To say 'no one seems to care' is rubbish: Hpi, FG, Losi care, a lot, so keep producing cars. A traxxas fifthscale would be an expensive hiding to nothing IMO, they serve the 10th and 8th scale sector very well, which is where the money is. Same goes for other manufacturers of predominantly 10th scale rc.

The Scorpion is 1/7th scale so slightly bigger than 1/8, but nowhere near 1/5. It is also available with nitro...look at the issues hpi had with their small scale petrol engine..understandable as to why more companies don't follow this route.

There are plenty of excellent, 1/5 scales out there and long may it remain. Personally, a traxxas badge on a big 'in would put me right off ;)

yup they had one many moons ago.  it is sort of funny that one keeps showing up on ebay  and keeps getting resold  as spares are very hard to get hold of.

Edited by turok007

There is a market, and it can be profitable .... but it's a small pond and there are already some big fish swimming there.

2WD ... FG or HPI

4WD ... FG, Losi, Maverick ( HPI re badging HiMoto)

There are minor brands alongside these, and clones of the above, but anyone thinking of moving into the market would have to do so with a big chunk of backing, a distribution network to support them, and the willingness to accept that they may well flop. You buy a Baja....and you know it has support, will keep it's value better, and be easy to sell on if you have to. Now....how many people bought a Losi DBXL? RCMK couldn't get the backing to get the design to market even though Horizon Hobby see it as viable.

Traxxas have a well established market, and that's more electric than IC anyway. A 5th scale from them would not be a gasser

I'd imagine that 1/5th scale is more niche than mainsteam hence the limited range.. Nitro and Flux must outsell 1/5 by quite some margin..

Like has been mentioned 1/5ths are noisy, large, expensive, limited where they can be run, etc. Nitro/electric can be run locally and are simpler all round.....

However that said it'd be nice to see what the other big RC boys could come up with....

:thumbsup:

Fifthscale has a more limited market, big, noisy, expensive to maintain so prices itself out of reach of many hobbyists. R&D is costly, the bigger the rc, the greater the cost, so a higher price for buyers. You need bottomless pockets, how many RCists out there have them?? How many folk have the space to keep one, let alone run one?

To say 'no one seems to care' is rubbish: Hpi, FG, Losi care, a lot, so keep producing cars. A traxxas fifthscale would be an expensive hiding to nothing IMO, they serve the 10th and 8th scale sector very well, which is where the money is. Same goes for other manufacturers of predominantly 10th scale rc.

The Scorpion is 1/7th scale so slightly bigger than 1/8, but nowhere near 1/5. It is also available with nitro...look at the issues hpi had with their small scale petrol engine..understandable as to why more companies don't follow this route.

There are plenty of excellent, 1/5 scales out there and long may it remain. Personally, a traxxas badge on a big 'in would put me right off ;)

I meant that no one of the other big manufacturer seems to care. I know very well of FG, Losi etc. You cant deny that if we had more competitors it would benefit the buyers?!? Dont understand how you not want more manufacturer as Traxxas etc. getting on to the fifth scale?

The only reason to get more Brands and choices on the Market if there was enough demand.

Sadly the large scale is not so big a class, and even though we have a small market in UK, there has to be enough sales world wide to justify development and Tooling cost to start a New project.

I don't think buyers would benefit. A proven largescale sells, as noted by NH, the dbxl has been something of a flop for Losi in sales terms, a company with a good record.

People in the market know what is available and buy with confidence. I accept that in terms of new models, the market is narrow, however, the hpi 5r will, I think, nicely bridge the gap between on/off road cars (ie not buggy or sc)...it has taken hpi a good few years of producing the 'same old kit' before redesigning the existing platform for the 5r. For a company that holds a market share in smaller scale (like traxxas) to risk going big is too much of a risk for them. Think on,it's the accounts department that have the final say in any new production run...if they see a limited product appeal vs R&D costs, it is unlikely the model would hit the shelves. Better to stick with what you know and do well, which guarantees profits and keeps shareholders happy.

People keep mentioning the 'big companies'

Fg, HPI, Losi....and the other big companies. ..... well....there aren't that many other big companies to start with.

Tamiya, Traxxas, Kyosho .... They all have a well established market and do what they do with a good measure of success. Thunder Tiger or Hobao? Again...they do well enough without a 5th scale flagship

The simple fact is, as Noj has pointed out, the cost of bringing a new design to market probably would not be recovered in additional sales. The design would also have to bring something new to the mass market. The niche racer market is already well covered.

I mean...I can think of lots of things I would like to see, and loads of 5th scale models I would love to be available ....but are there another few thousand people who would want to buy a 5th scale petrol driven Kyosho Madforce?

Im hoping traxxas does a 5th scale revo. Revo maximum or something lol just blow up the blue print like then shrunk it for the merv. Oh and outsource the diffs lol. Hpi might think about a 1/5 savage petrol next. 

Im suprised theres not as many truggy 5th scales mayb losi is thinking about a losi buggy or truggy they could just sell conversion kits too. 

Mcd is used but a losi one would surley be better.

Then thers the clone stuff tho, they might think what's the point it'll only get cloned. But thats ther fault for selling out and moving the manufacturing to asia. 

I saw a 100% slash 4x4 clone the other day $120 brushed new $190 bl 

Edited by RCbutcher

Is it just me or is that a Marder with a different wing and shell? (basically)

Just you. lol

Other than the fact it as 4 wheels theres nothing else Marder like at all. Even the engine is the other way round 

There are far more large scale manufacturers than you think.......

Contrast, H.A.R.M, Bergenzoni, RS5, BIG 5, Mecatech - are just some of them but these never get mentioned on forums like this because they make thoroughbred race cars.

There are choices out there but I think that there is still a devide between blasting across a football field and racing around a track. Companies see this and while there is a big market for people who want to blast arcoss a field, they see that people prefer to buy the cheaper end of the cars available and rather than flood the market, they stick to top of the line cars.