• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Done to death but here is mine - Savage

DannyP

1 minute ago, DannyP said:

Exactly! Like I said, it's barely been run in. So the running it seen was fairly gentle. So if I can't see anything else wrong, I won't be filled with confidence when I next come to run it.

You would have hope nothing would have broken during run in unless something was wrong. Either way just stay close to home next time you run it,and if it is easy to get to you can have a quick check after that first run, and see if it is wearing much.

It has easy access case so only a few screws to check it. I'll be doing just that.

When I bought the complete transmission, new, unused from a split Savage X. I changed a couple of bits, disc pads, HD outdrive and shimmed the play out of one of shafts. Might remove that shim if I find nothing else.

Edited by DannyP
Damn auto correct!

2 minutes ago, DannyP said:

It has easy access case so only a few screws to check it. I'll be doing just that.

When I bought the complete transmission, new, unused from a split Savage X. I changed a couple of bits, disc pads, HD outlive and shimmed the play out of one of shafts. Might remove that shim if I find nothing else.

That is good then, I am sure checking it, even if only for the first few runs, just to check the issue is sorted.

May be an idea. Depends on what you find really. If there is something else obviously wrong then I wouldn't bother, but like you say if you find nothing you could give it a go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DannyP said:

Not found anything. Cleaned everything, inspected all gears, bearings, shafts, case. All looks fine. I will rebuild it and hopefully try it tomorrow, weather depending.

Sounds good, hopefully whatever was wrong is now sorted, although I would reccomend checking it frequently to begin with, just to make sure there is not an issue.

Good luck, hopefully the weather will hold off then.

:lol: Thanks mate! Hope all is well your end. Yes I have been away for a while, feels good to be tinkering again.

Unfortunately Hot Racing stopped making the steel 44t first gear so doing the full bulletproof transmission isn't currently possible. I'd also have to buy a three speed. I will see how this goes and if either plastic gear let's go again I'll inquire about getting the gears made by RW.

Well, managed about 1 and 1/2 tanks and all seems good :D I forgot my fuel but luckily my brother in law had some.

IMG_20170916_161659.jpg

Engine still needs tweaking and there is no shift to second gear even though revs seem high enough. I have reset the set screw and I will go from there. Hopefully get a run in tomorrow.

Edited by DannyP

27 minutes ago, DannyP said:

Well, managed about 1 and 1/2 tanks and all seems good :D I forgot my fuel but luckily my brother in law had some.

IMG_20170916_161659.jpg

Engine still needs tweaking and there is no shift to second gear even though revs seem high enough. I have reset the set screw and I will go from there. Hopefully get a run in tomorrow.

Looking good so far, and hopefully it will stay that way and not give up.

Sounds odd, although I am not used to a 2 gear nitro setup. Have fun tomorrow

Little run down from today.

Split my bottle of nitro and lost 2.5 litres, saved a tank full and a filler bottles worth. Discovered my glow start sucks.

Engine is really starting to scream now, still no change into second but I really need to get the engine dialled in before I worry about that. Transmission gears seem to be holding up fine B)

Throttle linkage is binding slightly and there is a little slop which is stopping the carb from snapping shut when I go from WOT to idle with no brakes. This is causing the revs to hang and needs to be sorted before I can continue tuning.

This may sound a bit stupid but this truck isn't dumb enough! Suspension is to soft, sitting to low, XL axles, offset wheels is all adding up to a truck the just handles to damn well.

I want it to be a bit more of a hand full so I am thinking... Stand shocks up more, add some more shock spacers, possibly change to a thicker oil. Order some X axles and look into a new wheel and tyre combo, possibly something that comes with a RTR Savage.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DannyP said:

Little run down from today.

Split my bottle of nitro and lost 2.5 litres, saved a tank full and a filler bottles worth. Discovered my glow start sucks.

Engine is really starting to scream now, still no change into second but I really need to get the engine dialled in before I worry about that. Transmission gears seem to be holding up fine B)

Throttle linkage is binding slightly and there is a little slop which is stopping the carb from snapping shut when I go from WOT to idle with no brakes. This is causing the revs to hang and needs to be sorted before I can continue tuning.

This may sound a bit stupid but this truck isn't dumb enough! Suspension is to soft, sitting to low, XL axles, offset wheels is all adding up to a truck the just handles to damn well.

I want it to be a bit more of a hand full so I am thinking... Stand shocks up more, add some more shock spacers, possibly change to a thicker oil. Order some X axles and look into a new wheel and tyre combo, possibly something that comes with a RTR Savage.

for the carb not closing properly, i used elastic band.

for the shocks i would get the irc ones :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 19/11/2017 at 19:32, Zannu said:

Any update on this?

I have just bought a nitro savage XL roller of here, and plan to turn it into a flux xl. Really looking forward to it as the savage is one of my "dream" RC's

Super late reply but to answer you question, nothing has changed apart from a bit of added dust.

If I get a bit of time this afternoon I might take it out for a little run.

Oh I see images are gone again ?

Edited by DannyP