• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Markswebpages's Traxxas Summit

Markswebpages

Well I got a reply from RPM about the suspension arms, here it is for future reference.

Dear Mr. Mark Jones,

Yes, we do make stock replacement a-arms for your Traxxas Summit. The part numbers are as follows:

Front Left - 7037_

Front Right - 8021_

Rear Left - 7043_

Rear Right - 7048_

Take note, the last number was left off of the above listed part numbers because you didn't mention if you wanted them in blue or black. For blue, simply add a "5" to the end of the part numbers. For black, add a "2". I hope this helps.

Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail.

So that's another thing on the list, although oddly I can't seem to find anyone who lists them for both sides?

OK will do, the thing that makes me want to keep the stock body is the external cage which doubles nicely as a handle [emoji15]

I have the Apocalypse shell on my ERBE, it takes the stock Exo-cage, so all good.

Good news about the Summit arms!

• 2 weeks later...

Not very glamorous or exciting but here's a couple of videos from last weekend.

http://youtu.be/CC0ykCyNMxc

http://youtu.be/20rAWwFnGX8

http://youtu.be/5nWlcTZsS7w

Hoping to get my mates GoPro mounted to it so can get some better footage and also hoping to film from his hex at same time to create some better footage.

In the spring we'd also like to build a trailer to tow my mates model boat so I can tow it across the local common to a pond just for a laugh.

Edited by Markswebpages

ive seen second hand ones go for 300-350 thing is due to the complexity of the summit it can be bit of a gamble that everything will be working ie 5 servos, locking diffs, high/low gears etc. Plus some people drive them through mud and water and don't mantain them.

• Like 1

They don't need upgrades, such is their sturdiness! I paid 250 for mine, however, all the bearings in the main box were shot, which took out shafts as the bearings were stuck fast: the seller (from here) refunded me for the new parts :)

Stock up with spares from Jenny's rc, excellent vfm and quick postage...I have a spare main box, cost around twenty quid posted, and I picked up a set of hubs for 12 quid posted :)

They don't need upgrades, such is their sturdiness! I paid 250 for mine, however, all the bearings in the main box were shot, which took out shafts as the bearings were stuck fast: the seller (from here) refunded me for the new parts :)

Stock up with spares from Jenny's rc, excellent vfm and quick postage...I have a spare main box, cost around twenty quid posted, and I picked up a set of hubs for 12 quid posted :)

Yeah they do seem well made from my very limited knowledge so far.

Interesting you mentioned the gearbox I'm going to take mine apart I think because it came with an almost new brushless kit that isn't fitted (I can't tell if it's been used or not) and there does seem to be a bit of play somewhere in the driveline (Not sure if this is normal or not), It's all standard otherwise.

I do like the thought of RPM arms but to be honest the Traxxas ones are so cheap I don't think I'll bother. I certainly wouldn't bother with any aluminium suspension parts based on what I saw it had done to the suspension pins.

There is a little play on the shaft in the two speed box, so provided yours changes up and down cleanly, all good. Don't over lubricate the shaft, as this can cause the shift mechanism to stick.

Comes apart easily, and is very logical in construction :)

There is a little play on the shaft in the two speed box, so provided yours changes up and down cleanly, all good. Don't over lubricate the shaft, as this can cause the shift mechanism to stick.

Comes apart easily, and is very logical in construction :)

Yes it works fine, maybe I'll leave it alone then.

Looking at your vids Mark, big puddles like that are what can lead to problems, if water remains in the box...the two speed shaft lives at the bottom of the box, have a look in the manual to see what is connected to what, and the number of bearings used: traxxas bearings are frankly overpriced rubbish, so I would replace with some from either RCBearings or Saabmania2 on here-drop him a pm with the sizes you require :)

The box comes out easily, prevention is cheaper than cure: cost 30quid in parts to repair mine, and annoyingly, perfectly good cogs and bits had to be scrapped as welded bearings prevented their release from the shafts :(

Looking at your vids Mark, big puddles like that are what can lead to problems, if water remains in the box...the two speed shaft lives at the bottom of the box, have a look in the manual to see what is connected to what, and the number of bearings used: traxxas bearings are frankly overpriced rubbish, so I would replace with some from either RCBearings or Saabmania2 on here-drop him a pm with the sizes you require :)

The box comes out easily, prevention is cheaper than cure: cost 30quid in parts to repair mine, and annoyingly, perfectly good cogs and bits had to be scrapped as welded bearings prevented their release from the shafts :(

[emoji15] I'll have to get mine apart and take a look. I know the guy I got it from had used marine grease in the boxes when he rebuilt it after cleaning it.

I got some Traxxas bearings I brought to rebuilt the Slash and they where exactly as you say over priced rubbish. Had two lots from Saabmania2 and they're much better and great value.

Can you seal the gearbox casing with auto gasket/sealant to help less water get in or are the casing's quite water tight anyway?

Edited by Markswebpages

They used to be good, seems they may be selling lower quality parts in the same packaging...??

Marine grease will be a massive benefit. Theoretically, you could run sealant or liquid rubber etc over the case seams, as long as it peeled off easily, shouldn't be an issue, but I guess a smear of marine grease is even easier ;)

New shell arriving for mine tomorrow... weather looks to be slightly better mid week, time to go explore a potential new bash spot :)