• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hairy's Baja

HairyGranola

Attempted to fit the hostile hubs today, got the bearings in eventually but the hinge pins just will not go in. Ive tried banging them you name it ive tried. Any ideas?

Only way i can see is drilling the hole out just a tad. Would like to avoid this though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by HairyGranola

How about using an HSS drill bit to ever so slightly widen the diameter of the hinge pin stays/holder/whatever the things are called that the hingepins sit in lol

Might be easier than dremmeling the hingepins themselves

But then, there might be another way lol - I'm new to 1/5 scale so don't listen to me Haha!

Edited by MAZ

If you'd have heated the uprights and chilled the bearings in the freezer they would have dropped straight in mate, bit late now I know but good for future reference;)

I have that swiss army knife too!!!

It lrobay gets used more than all my tools!

If you'd have heated the uprights and chilled the bearings in the freezer they would have dropped straight in mate, bit late now I know but good for future reference;)

I did actually read about doing that but i thought id try push them in, bad idea haha .

Ive still got the other one to do so ill definatly do it for that one.

Cheers bud. Yea i really like all the manga/japanese stuff and theres no better way than covering a baja in it right?! [emoji23]

The fam brace stops the fan case from cracking which is a known problem apparently, mines still intact but better to be safe than sorry!

not a big deal for most people, unless running on fairly rough ground.

the fan cover doesn't last long when you get to jumping it though as the hpi design basically make the can cover part of the chassis bracing, cast covers like stock break, alloy one fair better but they tend to bend after awhile

fancover brace is a must imo

Yea exactly for thay reason, i run on loose gravel and no doubt a stone will get in amd tear the flywheel up.

It cant be bad for it surely, the better sealed it is the better.

true to a point, but it not a great idea to seal it completely as it is an air intake for the fan to cool the engine down, you can take the shroud of the engine off without it being a big effect on cooling, it just can't sit around on idle for very long as it over heats due to no air flow

I think im gonna have to do that. Shall report back when ive had a go!

The bearings ere hell to get in aswell. Definatly worth it though theyre pretty nice hubs.

best option with metal parts and bearing is to cool the bearing down in a fridge or something, makes fitting them easier.

you can also heat up the metal part but i'd avoid doing both as the rapid heat change from the 2 coming into contact can deform the outer ring of the bearng slightly, some thing i once done on a clutch bearing.

• Like 1

Got a bit further today. Fitted top and bottom rpm arms ir-c clipless pins and assembled the rear end up.

518993b2787398f7ddbef164b4498d7b.jpg9c5d6d11cc781e979717317a33a36494.jpg

Just got to rebuild shocks with phatdad o rings and install the rear shock brace and thats back done for now

Edited by HairyGranola

I will be, my shell is smashed now so I either go SC, do this or replace the buggy shell.

If you go this option you wont be dissapointed. Big thumbs up for KM yet again.

The only thing to note is that it doesnt work with a rear shock tower brace however if you have a dremel you can either chop away some plastic or just sand it so it fits. Bit of a bummer but no biggy.