• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Scrumpy's LST

scrumpy jack

Not posted much on here recently, as I got a bit fed up with my RC's- My brushless Kyosho madforce conversion was a bit of a failure, mainly because it just couldn't handle the power and constantly exploded and melted the diffs and was just not usable, I probably could of sorted it out but I don't think brushless is for me really as It all seemed a bit soulless! So decided to go back to nitro and get myself a Losi LST , I really enjoyed my savages but wanted something a bit different so brought a used original LST- I wanted an LST2 or XL but couldn't find one at the time. Now on getting the LST, it looked in pretty good condition, but discovered a few issues. 90% of the screws had rounded heads, so swapped those out (after a lot of dremeling) for some stainless metric screws. I then installed the hardened chassis plates which I got with the truck, I'm guessing the original owner didn't fit them because of the stripped screws! I ran the truck a few times until the original mach .26 engine blew up and smashed a big hole in the crankcase, by this point I got fed up so decided to go all out and spend even more money on the following upgrades:

LRP .28Z spec 3 engine

New Dynamite exhaust (old one was pretty beaten up)

LST2 throttle and break linkage

High capacity fuel tank

Firm yellow shock springs

front and rear ali diff cases (still need to fit these)

Ali engine brace(original cast one was cracked in half)

Full set of RPM arms

I also need to replace a bent drive shaft, but I cannot get the grub screw out to remove the CV pin as seems losi use red threadlock- have tried heating it with gas but no joy so far-any ideas?

anyway now some pics as she sits at the moment- the LRP still hasnt seen a drop of fuel, as waiting for it to stop raining so I can break it in!

DSCN0929_zps40b560c6.jpg

DSCN0922_zps1f6a54d9.jpg

DSCN0923_zpsbab095b8.jpg

DSCN0925_zpsd0110721.jpg

DSCN0924_zps22de9c2a.jpg

I'm also after some new tires and wheels for it, I want some slightly smaller/lighter muggyish wheels /tyres as I really want it to handle nicely and put less stress on the drive-train, so suggestions welcome. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the useful comment there chap. It can handle big wheels and tyres, but I want to improve the handling by getting wheels with less side wall flex and less weight, and the bonus to this would be a little less stress on the drivetrain, which means less wear on gears etc. Which is a good thing in my book. I did manage to get the grub screw out of the cv earlier by heating it really really hot! Dremel was a last resort as the grub screw is ressessed in a Sleeve which I didnt want to damage.

Very nice, I do like Losi trucks, I miss my Muggy. As for wheels/tyres, try to track down some Muggy wheels and tyres, they are basically oversized truggy wheels.

Thanks Drexel, I have been keeping my eyes out for some of those muggy wheels, which is exactly what im after...but they seem to be pretty rare. Wondered if there was a similar wheel tyre combo that is more commonly available?

Not sure of anything really similar to the Muggy combo. 40-series wheel/tyre combos work well to stop sidewall flex, but overall size is actually bigger.

I really like my Axial offset wheels with 40-series Big Joes, great for bashing. They are heavy though.

Edited by DreXeL

Not sure of anything really similar to the Muggy combo. 40-series wheel/tyre combos work well to stop sidewall flex, but overall size is actually bigger.

I really like my Axial offset wheels with 40-series Big Joes, great for bashing. They are heavy though.

yeah, I know some of those have slim side walls, but it's that big weighty rotating mass I want to cut down on,,,,I hear it now..so why don't you buy a buggy or truggy then?! er.. because I love the LST platform and want both

monster truck or truggy when I feel like it!  :xd:

well the other chaps I bash with have 1/5 beasts..(including methanol powered) so I want to be able to out handle and be quicker than them...which isn't as stupid as it sounds. weight being the key...I'm running half there weight with a powerful motor= Bugatti veyron against a Caterham. Okay sloppy comparison, but the Caterham would muller in the twisties

the Bugatti every day top speed.. better power to weight ratio. er discuss..

Edited by scrumpy jack

For me; Veyron. End of.

Surely Muggy boots are no different to MT boots?

If you want it to out handle the competition, Centre diff and Truggy boots are a great combo. The only Badlands I've tried are on my kyosho Scorpion XXL VE, rears only, and they're great tyres. They have a huge fanbase, and rightly so. Like all Proline tyres, I find the compound a little soft, but their range of tread patterns are great.

I've got Big Joes and Trencher X's, both good tyres, but as you've pointed out, they bring a lot of rotating mass to the table!

Surely Muggy boots are no different to MT boots?

They're basically oversized truggy boots (pin style) on oversized dish wheels, with a low profile. Just like a normal truggy wheel/tyre combo, but bigger. They aren't as heavy as a proper MT combo.

DSC06028.jpg

Edited by DreXeL

• 8 months later...