• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

So I've started taking my Firestorm apart....

ZombieBite

In order to be able to fire my RC into the shower I've begun trying to remove the electrics.

I've just sort of jumped in and started unscrewing things ( no better way to learn!), but I've a couple of questions.

Firstly I can see how to unplug the main wires leading into the receiver but how do I remove the single grey wire and ariel?

f1c2c0ac676ad72b820fba3bd1ce31cd.jpg

Also how much of the servo (?) do I need to remove? This is where I'm at now

c7899fdeb475c91246cc7decde8c9c3e.jpg

And finally, although I'm not there yet, how much of the back end needs to be removed?

99c02f4a5575daa202d25fd883f36e15.jpg

Thanks for all the help so far, this is a great forum!

Remove the gearbox complete, it'll save you having to re-mesh the pinion and spur.

Unscrew the servo mounts from underneath, the entire servo should then lift out. Just pop the connecting rod off of the ball.

Isn't that grey wire the aerial on the receiver? I don't think the wire will come out of the receiver so I'd just take the whole unit out. It's an easy job.

Yeah it is, I just can't see how to remove the aerial as the wire runs under some plastic to get to the aerial. The unit itself is already unscrewed and ready to come out .

Pop the plastic aerial tube up (normally it just sits in a recess and needs a bit of pressure to free it) at which point the grey aerial wire should be able to be pulled out from the tube.

The wire from the rx will be fed through a channel behind to bulkhead and connected to the esc. Just unplug all connectors from the rx remove it and then feed the wire back through the holes/channel and remove esc

Well its been totally stripped down, showered (with the help of my 5 year old, so I ended up wetter than the car), dried with my wifes hairdryer much to her bemusment, and reassembled.

Gotta say I didn't think that the tinkering side of things would be quite so much fun but it's actually really enjoyable.

Now I'm just waiting for a lipo bag so I can get the batteries charged and see if I've put it back together correctly.....

Lipo bags are a nice safety net, but I've never needed one in my 5 years of using Lipo batteries.

As long as the battery has not been abused, and is charged correctly then there's no reason the battery should spontaneously burst into flames.

You don't charge your phone in a Lipo bag do you? ;)

As for tinkering, I agree, I enjoy that side of the hobby as much as actually running them :)

• Like 2

Lipo bags are a nice safety net, but I've never needed one in my 5 years of using Lipo batteries.

As long as the battery has not been abused, and is charged correctly then there's no reason the battery should spontaneously burst into flames.

You don't charge your phone in a Lipo bag do you? ;)

As for tinkering, I agree, I enjoy that side of the hobby as much as actually running them :)

Not convinced, i recommend ALWAYS charging in a lipo sack and store your packs at storage charge in a metal tin.

For a small outlay of a few quid, why take a chance?

KingPin

Not convinced, i recommend ALWAYS charging in a lipo sack and store your packs at storage charge in a metal tin.

KingPin

Lipo bag arrived today and I've got a cash box for storing them in once they're charged. Now all I have to do is work out how to use the charger.....!

KingPin

Not convinced of what?

People are WAY too scared of lipos. I assume you have a mobile phone? Are you scared of that too?

Sure, a Lipo bag/ammo tin/nuclear bunker provide peace of mind, but they really aren't essential.

Storing at storage voltage is a given of course, but that comes under 'not abusing' your Lipo. And yes, a metal tin makes sense as a place to store them, but again that's not essential, people don't keep their phones, tablets and laptops in a metal box ;)

Also, I don't know how the owners of hobby shops and warehouses sleep at night knowing there's stacks and stacks of Lipos protected by nothing more than the cardboard box they come in, just waiting to randomly burst into flames and take out everything within a three mile radius ;)

My point was that if he's itching to give his Firestorm a run there's really no need to wait for that bag to turn up.

Edited by DreXeL
  • Like 3

My point was that if he's itching to give his Firestorm a run there's really no need to wait for that bag to turn up.

If agree. In fact I'd go so far as to say to someone new to lipo's you're better off charging them 'open' on a safe surface the first few times, and stay with them while they charge. Charge bags are great but if your lipo's start puffing up during charge you're not going to see that when it's in a charge sack. Likewise, it's easy to monitor the temperature when they are not in a sack. Doing this a few times will build a bit of confidence that while lipo's are most definitely to be respected they are not likely to spontaneously combust as soon as you look at them.

No, I'm not scared of my mobile phone because it's a Lithium Ion battery, not Lipo, which is a lower voltage and much lower discharge rate than ANY rc battery.

Why WOULDNT you want the extra security of a lipo sack?

Let's drive a car with out using the seat belts because I've never had an accident for the last five years.......

KingPin

Lipo bag arrived today and I've got a cash box for storing them in once they're charged. Now all I have to do is work out how to use the charger.....!

Great stuff! keep us posted as to how you get on.

KingPin

No, I'm not scared of my mobile phone because it's a Lithium Ion battery, not Lipo

Lipo and Li-ion are essentially the same thing, particularly from a safety point of view.

which is a lower voltage and much lower discharge rate than ANY rc battery.

Nominal voltage per cell is identical, 3.7v. There's just more cells in the average RC battery. A mobile phone battery is no more or less safe than an RC battery, the main difference is that RC batteries tend to sustain more abuse.

Why WOULDNT you want the extra security of a lipo sack?

There's no reason NOT to want to use one, I'm merely saying that the NEED to use one is massively over stated. Peace of mind? Sure. An essential part of owning and using a Lipo battery? Nope.

Let's drive a car with out using the seat belts because I've never had an accident for the last five years.......

KingPin

Not a valid comparison. Statistically, you are thousands of times more likely to have an accident in a car than have a well looked after Lipo vent on you. When you wear a seatbelt you are mitigating a very real danger that you face on every journey, you are mitigating dangers that are out of your hands. How dangeruous a Lipo can be is 99% down to how it has been used and looked after. If you know that you look after your Lipos and don't abuse them, charge them correctly, and don't ignore any puffing, then you've already massively mitigated the danger.

I'm not saying DON'T use Lipo bags, ammo tins etc, I'm simply saying that the NEED to do so is overstated.

Edited by DreXeL

Of course nobody wants that to happen, but my points still stand. Nobody knows the reason that Lipo went up. The pack may have been puffed, it may have shorted, who knows? And from what I gathered from the video he left it charging unattended. That's a big no-no.

That's a horrible thing to have happened, for sure. But thankfully it's a rare occurrence.

Edited by DreXeL