• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project: X

-BEZ-

Cheers fella, 

I've made a bit more progress with it today and sorted mounting the ESC and relocating the Rx box ........ as normal nothing is simple as I have discovered I need to lengthen the servo lead.

Piccys:

20150625_203143_resized_zps5iakq50v.jpg

20150625_203213_resized_zpsfbouyr62.jpg

• Like 1

Slight revision to the esc tray, I made the sides wider and less fugly, then added a section to push the power switch into:

20150626_082919_resized_zpscp1i2igr.jpg

now on to the nerf bars :)

can you get spares ok for this bez? Im seriously tempted after following this progress. looks awesome

Its a hyper SS with a different set of towers and springs but the rest is the same so parts are simple enough to get hold of :good:

Top work, looks awesome :yes: Got the shell painted yet?

How are you fixing the MGM to the mount? Screwed in or just double sided tape?

No not painted the body yet.  I have another idea in mind paint wise I've marked it out though all I need to do is finish designing the nerf bars to be a sung fit then I can crack on with the body :good:

The MGM is bolted down by via the 4 m2 mounting points on the heat sink to the plate its not going anywhere :good:

• Like 1

Nerf bars are finished now, wohooooo. I still need toof the car a bit and im considering some kind of very basic diffuser for the rear sort some kind of solution to pad the nose cone out a bit and some kind of basic diffuser for the rear, but at least i feel like I'm starting to win with this project now :)

1e689f67-28a2-40f3-a642-f3c717c414b6_zps

20150627_093356_resized_zpsxhntlyle.jpg

Oh and then there is some wiring to tackle but nothing too major. As normal painting the body is always nail biting so im hoping my new idea looks good lol

• Like 2

Yeah mate that's look amazing it would look better black for my taste tho lol. The battery trays you've made are just what I was talking about for my slash. Do you have a prototype or another spare you could sell me?

I got some paint and decals laid down on the body over the last couple of days :) 

20150630_214755_resized_zpsyzzfuy87.jpg

20150630_214850_resized_zpspn7cqxmi.jpg

20150630_214921_resized_zps9eyz7sfx.jpg

I don't think it will be hard to spot on the drag strip lol

• Like 2

I got some paint and decals laid down on the body over the last couple of days :)

20150630_214755_resized_zpsyzzfuy87.jpg

20150630_214850_resized_zpspn7cqxmi.jpg

20150630_214921_resized_zps9eyz7sfx.jpg

I don't think it will be hard to spot on the drag strip lol

Looking sweet Bez mate. 

• Like 1

I took a dirty under skirt pic earlier to show how the body is supported:

20150701_144519_zpszbcqkkvv.jpg

I will be padding the front out a bit but I havent decided whather to re cut a chunk of HD foam of just layer up some 1-2mm thick sheet ......... I need to sort out a small amount of soldering and then I can do a quick test, then it will be time to CNC a motor mount and she will be ready to run :)

The other day I was thinking ...........I know its a dangerous situation to be in lol ........... and I have decided to have a go at making the printed motor mount more of a permanent part of the build. I beefed up the design a fair bit and printed a solid 15mm thick mount out of colorfabs XT material. I can safely say when I try and move the motor its the chassis that flexes not the mount lol.  The only test now is to see how it deals with the heat generated from the motor and bearings on the diff, it should be fine as the melting temp is 240c. I'm walking into the unknown a bit here but its always good to try new solutions :)

As you can see below the mount is a fair bit thicker thicker +50% on the old version, I have also made the brace wider to accept larger pinions (26T fitted currently)

20150704_104629_resized_zps5wfvjnmc.jpg

I finally got around to soldering and trimming excess wire on the ESC, I fitted 6mm MPJets all round to make sure that there is as little resistance as possible when it comes to flowing large amounts of amps. While I was routing the wires I also decided to make a little wire clamp that mounts directly to the rear chassis brace support to keep the wires out of harms way and to keep them tidy.

20150704_191711_resized_zpsl3tq1wt6.jpg

I then designed and printed a simple Receiver antenna holder for the twin ariel Spectrum MR3000 (The same one I use on chaser and get a crazy long range from 250M+ easy).  Once I had mounted that up I think its safe to say the building stage is over now :)

20150704_192436_resized_zpsa3cyitjm.jpg

20150704_192353_zpssrjrcap0.jpg

20150704_192413_resized_zpsdkvaxywz.jpg

All that is left for me to do now is pad out the front bumper when I find My stash of sticky back foam and calibrate the ESC.

One hiccup I do have is the radio gear.  I will have to borrow the rx from chaser for now as the one I had set aside for this build is dead :(  So fingers crossed I can send that away for repair and get it back in working order .......... nothing is ever simple lol

The good news however is I should be able to take her for a tyre ripping test run tomorrow, I will do my best to get some video of the testing too :good:

Edit:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the whole car comes in at 4.75Kg RTR, which is around  2.5kg lighter than my previous on road speed car.

Edited by -BEZ-
  • Like 1