• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maz's KM Baja 002A build thread (Petrol/largescale beginner) **Nearly finished!**

MAZ

Any updates on this?

Heya, I've been waiting to get a few bits before I did an update ;)

A bit of an annoying thing has been the delay of an irc chassis that I got from eBay. The seller has had a few problems which has meant that my item hasnt been posted yet - I paid on the 6th Nov :(

Hopefully the problems have been sorted as I've been promised that it will be posted tomorrow

Once all the bits are through I'll take some pics and do a proper update :)

Update time :)

Got some parts through from rcmodelz:

Piston ring

A full set of gaskets

Piston stopper and flywheel puller

Front upper arm holder

Joint for the wing

I also got a full screw kit from irc and a full bush set

IMG_20141202_190606_zps15ogbozh.jpg

IMG_20141202_190736_zpsyfbkjhkl.jpg

I like how the compartments of the screw kit have been marked out so you know where each screw goes :)

IMG_20141202_190648_zpsudjxnt4_edit_1417

IMG_20141202_190658_zps4pmfc11_edit_1417

I really need a Baja 5b manual though!

(My missus is lending me her 10.1 tablet so I can get a pdf of it - I'd rather have a paper manual though)

I also finally got the parts that I won on eBay

They needed a good clean so the chassis parts were put in the dishwasher ;)

IMG_20141202_184502_zpsujno0mpl.jpg

My cheapo Irwin T-handle Allen keys arrived today as well - the 4mm passed its first test by undoing the 4 head bolts on the engine without rounding off :) :)

All need now is a bit of time to strip and clean the engine and carrying putting the Baja together :)

• Like 1

Update time :)

Got some parts through from rcmodelz:

Piston ring

A full set of gaskets

Piston stopper and flywheel puller

Front upper arm holder

Joint for the wing

I also got a full screw kit from irc and a full bush set

IMG_20141202_190606_zps15ogbozh.jpg

IMG_20141202_190736_zpsyfbkjhkl.jpg

I like how the compartments of the screw kit have been marked out so you know where each screw goes :)

IMG_20141202_190648_zpsudjxnt4_edit_1417

IMG_20141202_190658_zps4pmfc11_edit_1417

I really need a Baja 5b manual though!

(My missus is lending me her 10.1 tablet so I can get a pdf of it - I'd rather have a paper manual though)

I also finally got the parts that I won on eBay

They needed a good clean so the chassis parts were put in the dishwasher ;)

IMG_20141202_184502_zpsujno0mpl.jpg

My cheapo Irwin T-handle Allen keys arrived today as well - the 4mm passed its first test by undoing the 4 head bolts on the engine without rounding off :) :)

All need now is a bit of time to strip and clean the engine and carrying putting the Baja together :)

Mmm lots of shiny...

• 3 weeks later...

Small update time :)

I bought a couple of bits from a new member On here (Shaktar)

Obviously I was a bit dubious as he's a new member but the parts arrived so yay!

So I bought a few more parts :)

IMG_20141229_0936282_zpsz2fgihfm.jpg

He threw in a few other bits as well which I thought was pretty cool of him :)

I particularly like the AreaRC fuel cap :D

IMG_20141229_102832_zpsmof8ifxj.jpg

The tr top plate is nice and chunky

I currently have an irc top plate fitted on my baja, a spare irc top plate that I got when I bought the 2nd hand irc chassis and now a tr top plate (the spare irc and tr top plates both have the same impact/wear marks on them lol)

The hostile rear hubs look pretty good - different though from what I've seen online

IMG_20141229_101405_zpsnzjnuia0.jpg

Nevermind lol - just seen them for sale on ddm haha

Looks like they come with the press tool as well woohoo!

The rpm front bumper is cool :)

Front/rear tr shock braces are nice, bit scuffed but still very useable (I'd like to de-anodise them at some point)

The black Silverback wheel hex's are also quite nice as are the one piece black rear hubs (useful as spares I reckon :))

Just need to make a start again on the engine rebuild (even though its probably FUBAR...lol) then I'll get cracking on working on the rest of the baja :)

Damn you christmas for distracting me!!!

Edited by MAZ

Maz i have a manual when i got my km baja. It has all the blown diagrams in with part numbers and stuff. You can have it if you want. As i use the pdf on my phone

Heya mate, that could be good, ideally though I'm after the hpi version as the replacement screw kit I got from irc lists all the screw numbers from the hpi manual :/

I've got both in PDF but sometimes its just easier having a paper manual OldschooOoool style =D

Your making a nice job on this 5b matey, it's going to look the bee's, or the dog's, what would you say with the rear hubs rc full hub style? Or one piece hostile? Also is it true the more toe in the more stable the car? I'd say so because it was that way with real size cars ovel racing

Your making a nice job on this 5b matey, it's going to look the bee's, or the dog's, what would you say with the rear hubs rc full hub style? Or one piece hostile? Also is it true the more toe in the more stable the car? I'd say so because it was that way with real size cars ovel racing

I love the look and feel of the hostiles but the amount of hassle I'm having trying to get the bloody bearings in!! Grrrr!!!

One piece hub all the way for me though - much easier to maintain!

Toe in, toe out.. Pfft! I dunno doesn't matter to me as long as it works Haha!

Once this beast is built and I get it running then I'll let you know lol

Edited by MAZ

Fast eddy tutorials hostile rear hubs i don't no how to put the link on for you it will definitely help with how long to leave it in and stuff, i used the same method on real size bearings and i seen them doing it the same way but small scale with a oven on the counter lol! Great stuff have a look on utube