• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Savage truth.

Tug

I think it'll be too short as it's designed for the normal Savage X length TVPs.

Edited by DreXeL

First test run complete, not bad. ESC played up a bit, but I think it's OK. Temps were OK, but it is kinda chilly out there. Speeds were reasonable, nothing to be ashamed of. Handling was pretty damn good, no grip-roll, easy acceleration Thanks to the CD.

More to follow, for sure.

Did you get much ballooning of the front tyres? My centre diff is pretty much locked with shoe goo, tempted to strip it down and unlock it though to try to tame the wheelies a little. Trouble is I don't want it to end up like my Losi Muggy was where it just unloaded all the power through the front wheels.

Edited by DreXeL

500,000 wt oil works well, plus three turns of duct tape on the tyres and two turns on the foams. So no, not too bad. However, I'm not happy with the speed yet, so that might change once I've pepped her up a bit.

• Like 1

The MGM is definitely not happy, so that's out and a Castle 3M ESC is in. No testing now as it's too late, but I'll get back to it ASAP.

Cabling has been altered and tidied up a bit.

BTW, Alza are doing 10% off for a short time, check out the website for details.

I use 500k oil in my CD and it still unloads a little more than I would like, I think anything thicker would make the CD a pointless upgrade though lol!

I think I have done all my spending at Alza now, I already have everything on my flux haha, only thing I am waiting on is some alloy battery box mounts if he ever makes some :)

I converted my Savage from nitro so for me the Alza C/D conversion was as much about having a nice neat conversion as it was about actually having a C/D. The shoe goo actually works pretty well, it's essentially 'locked' the diff but still has enough give to cushion the front and rear diffs.

Didn't want to spam your thread, but go on then :D

DSC_0037_zpsrxgnprtu.jpg

DSC_0033_zpstjwaucd4.jpg

Slightly re-jigged a few things since those pics. Battery box is moved back a bit and the ESC is up front now, and I've made the shock tower braces more beefy, they're now made from Hyper 7 rear upper arms. Also has brand new bumpers.

It's a Castle 1515 2200kv. It's black because it's a Traxxas unit. It recently died on me though, so soon to be replaced with a Tenshock X802L v2 1550kv.

Edited by DreXeL

The Castle actually coped pretty well, it was geared accordingly and temps were fine. The reason it died was because the end cap came off on a bash, I had recently given the motor a bit of a service to check bearings etc, and forgot to thread lock the screws, one too many big landings shook them loose, the end cap came off at full throttle, and the motor grenaded itself.

The Tenshock is 4274, same dimensions as the Castle. I was going to go for a Leopard 4082 as they are great motors and the one in my Muggy worked really well, but I want to give the Tenshock a go as I have Tenshocks in another couple of models and they are cracking motors, and the 802L is known to work well in the Savage. Also, I want it back up and running ASAP and Funshobby are usually super fast with their shipping.

Edited by DreXeL

I never measured the speed, but calculated the theoretical speed at 50-55mph, that was on 5s with 11/52 gearing. That's plenty of speed for me. With the Tenshock I'll change to a 14 or 15t pinion which will give me similar sorts of speeds.