• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Savage truth.

Tug

Yes it is running well actually, it was slightly hotter than I would like on the 10/46 gearing so I am trying the 10/52 at the mo!

I couldn't give you an exact figure on the temps, probably around 60*C, I'm trying to bring it down to extend the run times :)

I'm probably getting 30 mins plus but hoping for 45 mins, this is on 5000mah 30C

Edited by Wrighty8766

My numbers aren't stacking up, I think the HPI guy may not have got it quite right. I'm going to remove that 2.513 and recalculate. I have the gearbox out, I'll count how many times the output drives turn for one turn off the spur. When I speed tested the 520kv this morning, geared 22/52, it was only reaching 30! If I go up to 25/50 I should be back up to around the 40 mph range. I'm also going to try the 1480kv directly mated to the CD, if it's working well on yours, it will be fine for me too.

1480kv is now mounted up directly to the CD. Not yet sure on this as the temps shot up to 59C in minutes! That's on 12/52. I've got a fan that'll fit, I might fit that if I decide to stay with this motor. The test run was cut short because the pinion decided to come off at full chatter! That's kinda scary! Reapplied the red threadlock and now just need it to cure.

Despite the motor temps, the ESC was very cool, I couldn't find any spot on it higher than 25C! Could I be under-geared? I doubt it, the motor's not spinning that fast!

I'm not worried, I'm sure it would have hit a ceiling and stopped climbing. I've literally just this second finished fitting a cooling fan. It was lying around and needed a purpose. It was made for 36mm cans, so I had to hacksaw a chunk off, all good now. I'm sticking with 12/52, plenty of speed and the ESC doesn't seem to mind, result!

I'll try to get some vid soon.

I'll get busy testing ASAP. I'm sure that the fan will do the business. They work wonders on my other cars.

I did consider mounting the ESC to the roof, but couldn't bring myself to drill holes in it while it was shiny and new.

My Tenshock x802l V2 1550kv arrived yesterday, threw it on last night and tried it at 15/52 with 5s and it wasn't happy, cogging quite badly and the motor got hot to the touch quite quickly. I swapped to the 11t pinion and it was much happier, loads of torque and the motor stayed pretty cool. Was only a short run though. Speeds seemed fine, theoretical top speed is around 40mph, not the fastest in the world but plenty for a basher and fine for me. Having said that, I may try a 6s if I can find one that will fit my tray.

Edited by DreXeL
  • Like 1

Just given her the beans in the fading sunlight, what a great drive! Handles well, goes plenty fast enough.

Might need thinner oil in the CD, she does wheelie a bit too easily.

The exposed cables are troubling me, they got pulled apart in one tumble! This will need addressing. I don't want to resort to running a shell, but won't rule it out as it would offer the protection needed.

Temps were fine, motor topped out at 68C, ESC at 50C. This was relentless speed runs on wet grass, so spinning up continously. The motor has its heatsink and fan attached, but the fan isn't yet powered, I've run out of ports on the Rx.

More to follow, yawl! ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, main battery cables. No biggie, but they're very exposed, so a solution is needed. If I do build the 5b version, I can have the batteries in-board, but for this it's external battery boxes only. Thinking cap firmly on.

Tug, the battery boxes do have the side exit holes too in the corner near the top hole, can you not aim the wires straight out of the box and into the chassis towards the speed controller?

How are you liking the 4092 then? It is a good motor in my opinion...for the price anyways! I was thinking of a 1717 but funds couldn't stretch that far :'(

Yeah, I'm toying with threading them into the chassis, but there are two issues with that;

1, Ease. I don't want it to become a kerfuffle just to get the packs in.

2, Keeping the cables away from rotating metal parts.

As for the motor, yeah, loving it. Enough power, reasonable temps. Shame it's not finned, but then we couldn't gear it down as low.

I've got a 1717, I might try it one day, but I don't want miniscule runtimes. Besides, I know it's an animal of a motor! The faster a car goes, the more often you break it!

To be honest even with a shell on my wires can get chewed up, they kind of look as though they have been pinched and partially cut through in places, after that first happened I started to use the side exit (without threading through the chassis) and it hasn't happened since.

I think they did do a finned 4292 1700kv version of it a while back, maybe even the 1480kv too. I'm sure I have seen it listed on offshore electrics.co.uk (or something like that)

On their website they're only listing a few finned cans, all sensored, longest length being 74mm. I'm happy enough with this set-up, I'm not really fussed if I keep it running with a 1/8 motor or a 1/5, for me it's about seeing what works and what doesn't. I may slap the Leopard 2028, 780kv back in, just to do more testing and see if it's a worthwhile motor to fit. It's biggest downside is its weight, but its current draw is actually quite low when fitted to a 1/8 and kept down on 6s. It's the same with my Super 5sc flux, I just like trying new things to see the effects. The best set-up in that so far has definitely been the 520kv motor on 6s, good temps and reasonable runtimes.

Getting back to this car, I've tidied up the control cables and move the uBEC inside the Rx box. The stock flux Rx box is great, it's huge and can house a few extras. People slate it for being too big, but in my eyes it just looks like 1970s bonnet bulge! It shouts "POWER!". I'll find a way to protect the battery cables.

I'm now going to try different boots, the Trencher X's are off, Big Joes are on. After that I'll try some Truggy boots, but I think they'll look too small. Although after a few runs your eyes soon adjust and these things don't then look half as bad as when you first fitted them.

Talk soon chaps.